Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 or 20 inches rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would go for smaller wheels, larger sidewalls on the tires. My friend's Model S has a noticeably smoother ride on the smaller wheels, that extra height on the tires helps absorb the bumps.
I agree 100%.

However I want the largest wheels. It will be a little rougher ride....but it will look amazingly cooler. ( not to my friends - but to me ).

I believe in the case of the model S, 21 inch wheels cost an extra $12k over the life of the vehicle.

21 inch Tires basically wear out twice as fast and cost twice as much. Then you pay an additional $4 or $5k to buy them over the stock rim/tires when purchasing the car.

I will likely buy the stock wheels on my model 3 and look for an aftermarket solution once my tires need to be replaced. This is the solution favored by savvy model s owners. Some living in colder climates actually use this trick to use stock tires as winter tires, and have nicer looking 20 inch wheels/tires for the warmer season.

I believe 20 inch aftermarket wheels/tires in the case of the model s look as good as teslas 21 inch wheels, cost a lot less, and don't wear out as fast.

Reactions: T34ME
^^^ I agree with Xav. $4500 for teslas aftermarket wheels seems crazy to me. I went and did some searching last week - and you can buy some incredible looking aftermarket wheels for the model S for about $2000-3000 and that's for the over the top fancy ones. Not to mention this scenario: You order your model 3 with the larger size premium wheels option for estimated $4500. You only get the one set of premium wheels and it cost you an arm and a leg. While on the other hand you could order your M3 with the base wheel option, purchase beautiful aftermarket wheels, and enjoy have 2 sets of wheels and tires that you can switch out whenever you want. TLDR - buy base wheels and nice aftermarket wheels for the looks. Saves you around $2500 and you get the added benefit of a second set of wheels.

For me it will be a question of aspect ratio. If larger wheels can have an aspect ration of 50 or higher I'll take them. If not I'll pass because I am unwilling to face both road hazards, worse ride and the lower efficiency of the larger wheels, if the aspect ratio reduces. With the higher ration I'll sacrifice a little range maybe, but not ride or longevity.

Tires for the 20's are really expensive. If you want a sporty look with the 18's just lower the car a little. If the offer the air suspension that would be easy. Also think of the weight saving from 18's = gains in acceleration and range.

Tires for a 20" are a little more expensive but if you're in it for the looks then the cost is negligible as its probably under $400 difference each time you replace tires. I think slammed cars look good but its expensive to lower a car on something like coilovers or bags and I don't know that I would want to risk messing with the tesla or its warranty in that way TBH

Tires for the 20's are really expensive. If you want a sporty look with the 18's just lower the car a little. If the offer the air suspension that would be easy. Also think of the weight saving from 18's = gains in acceleration and range.

The overall diameter of the 18's is very similar to the 20's. The 18's have a higher numerical aspect ratio. Higher sidewall with more rim protection and a better ride.

17 or 18, whichever is standard for me here as well. I will (most likely) ultimately end up with 2 sets (summer and winter) so if I don't like the stock wheels, I'll make them my winter wheels and pick up a set of aftermarket rims with tires for the summer (which will still be 17 or 18" diameter since I think that is a sweet spot for wheel size). Tire rack has some solid options for the S for reasonable pricing, I assume they will have plenty of options that fit the 3 as well.

In addition to having a larger diameter and lower--profile tires, the optional, upgraded wheels are wider than the standard wheels. I prefer wide tires on my car. I think it looks better when the tires fill up the wheel-well.

Ideally, I'd take the smaller diameter, but with a larger width. But that's not going to be offered by Tesla.

Zoomed in photos of the alpha and release candidates indicate 20" wheels with 275/30-R20 tires.

18221925_10211960987915291_8288391906202211762_n.jpg