Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 Panel System possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xebec

Mar 20, 2019
PA
Hi there!

Has anyone been able to get Tesla to engineer/sell them a 18 panel system?

I have a 12-panel system on the way, was hoping for the 24-panel (best cost$/kW produced) but mature trees nearby and possibly a smallish roof made Tesla say this wasn't viable.

I'm looking forward to having some solar, but would like more than ~ 3.7 kW if possible..

Thanks!
John

Hi there!

Has anyone been able to get Tesla to engineer/sell them a 18 panel system?

I have a 12-panel system on the way, was hoping for the 24-panel (best cost$/kW produced) but mature trees nearby and possibly a smallish roof made Tesla say this wasn't viable.

I'm looking forward to having some solar, but would like more than ~ 3.7 kW if possible..

Thanks!
John

Tesla at current time appears to be using a "streamlined" type approach as it relates to solar panel installs. If tesla is telling you they will only do 12 panels, its because they us a fairly "boilerplate" / "cookie cutter" / "Streamlined" process. Thats one reason they tend to be cheaper.

If you want more solar, you should have engaged other solar installers in your area to get competing quotes. You would have likely found that they could provide you with more panels / better optimized system for your roof, but for higher cost.

You say you have a "12 panel system on the way"... depending on how far you are into that process you should talk to some other installers in your area so you can get a full picture of what is "possible" on your roof, then decide "what you want to pay for".

As best I know, you can have about 3840 watts per 20A circuit @16A continuous; 80% of breaker rating.
So, depending on inverter and panel size that is how many panels, or less of course on a circuit.
18 panels cannot be on one breaker.
So, you also need to know if you have room for those additional breakers or may need a panel replacement.

I have a 2400 SQ FT home, but it is elongated rectangle two story. Tesla quoted me the smaller 3.7 kWh system, and they wouldn’t budge.

Got three quotes and decided to go with Sempris Solaris.

They are doing a 21 panel system with two Powerwalls. 101% of my usage. Plus gonna go PHEV hybrid or electric for our next vehicle. Asked Tesla to budge, they wouldn’t. Spoke to engineering team three times.

Sempris still has SGIP credits as well, so I am going to get 26% Federal credit on the whole system, and SGIP credits on the PW2. Makes it palatable financially for the PW2.

Sempris is using panels with individual inverters, Tesla wasn’t.

I have a 2400 SQ FT home, but it is elongated rectangle two story. Tesla quoted me the smaller 3.7 kWh system, and they wouldn’t budge.

They are doing a 21 panel system with two Powerwalls. 101% of my usage. Plus gonna go PHEV hybrid or electric for our next vehicle. Asked Tesla to budge, they wouldn’t. Spoke to engineering team three times.

Sempris still has SGIP credits as well, so I am going to get 26% Federal credit on the whole system, and SGIP credits on the PW2. Makes it palatable financially for the PW2.

I remember your other thread on this topic. I think thats an excellent choice, congratulations!

Reactions: ftrv8

Yep, Tesla has a set way the do things and does not deviate much.

And given all the sun you get in MH I have always been surprised more people there do not have solar. But, at least you are finally getting a Safeway after 15 years.