Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Primacy MXM4 inner-feathering question - normal or alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'18 LR AWD - 32K miles - Aero 18" wheels. I got 16K out of my first set of Michelins, and am about to get the same on my second set.

The original tires on this car were driven on the car's factory alignment. They wore evenly with no feathering at all.

The second set of tires were installed with a fresh alignment from a local shop that used the Tesla measurements, and they dialed it in *perfectly* to spec. Ever since I've had the second set of tires, the fronts feather on the inner tread bar. I rotate my tires every 3-4K, so they're all wearing evenly, but getting noisy from the feathering. Every time I rotate, whichever tires are on the front start to feather more and more.

When you feel the tread, the inner rib "drops off," while the other three tread bars on the tire are even in height.

My mobile technician said this treadwear pattern was normal for the factory Primacy tire on these cars and that he sees it a lot... but my originals never did it. I don't really want to try a different tire, as these are very efficient and work for my needs in the summer.

Anyone else seeing this? If it's tire related, I'm happy to try the 18" Pilot Sport 4 to see if it goes away next Spring when I remove my snow tires. If it's not normal, I'll try for another alignment before I put my snow tires on this year.

Thanks!