Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" Snow Tires for Model Y - 235/55R18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
We know that narrower tires perform better in the snow, and a narrower tire will also help makeup for the lost range associated with winter tires.

When we get our LR Model Y next year, I'm considering going with 18x8.5 +35 wheels (in a sufficient load range for Model Y) with 235/55R18 tires (XL load range). These tires have essentially the same OD as the stock tires, and the wheels have nearly the same "poke"/fitment as the stock wheels.

Thoughts?

I have this set up, but with all weather tires (Crossclimate SUV). So far it works great, though there hasn't really been much inclement weather here, unless you count copious amounts of cold rain.

I have Replika R241 wheels (same load rating as 20in Inductions), but I have seen another user with Rhino wheels (that I love the look of) that does a lot of driving in rough conditions. I think their car was lifted too. Lifted, smaller wheels, bigger tires - update

IMG_1449.jpg

Reactions: seniorcitizen
I have this set up, but with all weather tires (Crossclimate SUV). So far it works great, though there hasn't really been much inclement weather here, unless you count copious amounts of cold rain.

I have Replika R241 wheels (same load rating as 20in Inductions), but I have seen another user with Rhino wheels (that I love the look of) that does a lot of driving in rough conditions. I think their car was lifted too. Lifted, smaller wheels, bigger tires - update

View attachment 617917

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

We know that narrower tires perform better in the snow, and a narrower tire will also help makeup for the lost range associated with winter tires.

When we get our LR Model Y next year, I'm considering going with 18x8.5 +35 wheels (in a sufficient load range for Model Y) with 235/55R18 tires (XL load range). These tires have essentially the same OD as the stock tires, and the wheels have nearly the same "poke"/fitment as the stock wheels.

Thoughts?
I am looking into getting the same size tires/wheels to have a winter tires set on my 2021 model Y. Did you get those tires on your model y? Any updates- Have they been working well? Thanks!

I am looking into getting the same size tires/wheels to have a winter tires set on my 2021 model Y. Did you get those tires on your model y? Any updates- Have they been working well? Thanks!
We're actually still waiting on our Model Y. We decided to wait until congress can figure out an EV tax credit. This winter tire setup is still our plan, though. I'm sure there are others on here that have gone this route.

I went with Replika R241 19”x8.5J 35mm offset to fit the 235/50R19 CrossClimate2 tires for winter. The tire size calculator said they would be 1% larger but after setting the car to 19” rims the speedometer still matches the GPS speed exactly.

Attachments

• 3EAD0222-73A1-41F6-9CC5-DA8B98AC65D2.jpeg
    3EAD0222-73A1-41F6-9CC5-DA8B98AC65D2.jpeg
    861 KB · Views: 567
  • 5F8F3495-D267-4E43-BBC0-72D7870E424A.jpeg
    5F8F3495-D267-4E43-BBC0-72D7870E424A.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 492
Reactions: pdx_m3s
We're actually still waiting on our Model Y. We decided to wait until congress can figure out an EV tax credit. This winter tire setup is still our plan, though. I'm sure there are others on here that have gone this route.
I ended up getting Bridgestone Blizzaks 245/50R18 with Vision Cross wheels. Went through Discount tire. So far so good…just waiting on some good snow here in Colorado.

Update: We’ve had these on for a few months now. With studs, the noise is not great, but the tires and wheels have performed admirably. Negligible reduction to range (beyond what’s typical for it being colder). Grip is excellent in ice and snow.

B1ECE6B5-CE74-4772-B4B0-4F142DE38716.jpeg

Reactions: PNWLeccy