TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

18" Sport Wheels?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, Sep 16, 2017.

Tags:
?

Would you buy 18" sport wheels if available?

1. Yes, in a heartbeat

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. No, love the Aeros

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Sticking with the 19" sport wheels

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Sticking with Aeros - they are free

24 vote(s)
    41.4%
  1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

If Tesla was convinced to offer them, would you pay $1,500 for 18" sport wheels to replace the Aeros?

2. FlyingKiwi

FlyingKiwi Member

You left out
    "No, I'd rather spend $1500 on aftermarket rims. "
    &
    "No, I already have other rims for my car"

• Funny x 1
  3. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

Another meaningful alternative is,

"No, the wheels underneath the Aero covers are fine."

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. cella

cella Member

Good looking wheels with enough rubber to withstand California potholes? Yes please. ;)

5. Regenshire

Regenshire Member

I would much rather spend money on after market rims as I will likely need a second set for snow tires anyways. I wish if you spent the $1500 for the "upgraded" rims you also got the original rims with the car, then it would make more financial sense.

6. timk225

timk225 Member

California potholes? LOL. Try Pittsburgh potholes!

And I drove all over L.A. for 3 years, that is my frame of reference.

7. xav-

xav- Member

Yeah we have lived in socal for 10 years. I am not sure where the pot holes are.

I also was in Boston area for 3 days in 2011 and I remember very well the massive pot holes in freeways with people zig zagging to avoid them. It was kind of unreal

• Like x 1
  8. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Depending on how the 18" wheels look, I may consider either powder coating or just other aftermarket rims if it looks like the model 3 needs silver wheels to look right to me. I've been evaluating my color choices and I think that I prefer a silver wheel to complement the chrome accents around the windows and the door handles. Although the 19"wheels give me the color, I want the more compliant ride offered by the 18s

• Like x 1
  9. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

I would tend to stick with the aeros so as not to forfeit the efficiency gains.

But without knowing how much they actually help, it's harder to weight the trade-off between style and efficiency/range. Hopefully Tesla will make this info public before non-employees start configuring their vehicles.

10. Bokonon

Bokonon Title-customizing Member

In the same boat with the same mindset here. Considering whether dipping the wheels is an option, or whether it will just get torn up quickly.

11. codex57

codex57 Member

I think the poll needs to be changed. If Tesla offered 18" sport wheels, would I buy them? Yes, if they cost the same as a typical upgrade of the same tire size as other companies. Tesla charging $1500 to go up 1 inch is not too out of line with other companies. That said, many also offer upgrades in the same tire size as the standard tires. Those upgrades typically cost only in the $500-600 range from what I remember. I'd pay $500 for a different rim. There's no way that $500 isn't pretty much pure profit, but it's a reasonable enough number to me.

Paying $1500 for 18" sport rims makes absolutely no sense when the 19" upgrade costs the same.

• Like x 1