Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 vs 19 inch wheels? Help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comparing stopping distances of two cars where the testing was done by different people, on different roads, different dates, temperatures, conditions, etc. is kind of meaningless.

The only way to do this scientifically is to have two cars with same tires (just diff rim sizes) and at almost the same time in equal conditions, by the same driver, and averaged over numerous stops.
not disagreeing with you.. unfortunately though that is all that is available.. and we have to make a decision.

I would argue tires with better grip would make a difference. Reviewer in the video suggested that as well.

I had the feeling I was trying to save a few bucks out of an expensive car by getting cheap tires. I called Tesla and made the switch.

During the conversation I also had the sales rep confirm that the range savings by using the 18 inch tires was going to be much less than 10 pc.

Not sure what it's worth obviously but I found worth mentioning that there is no official communication from tesla on this. All we have is a user from this forum reporting having heard a VP from tesla saying the range gain would be 10 pc.​

View attachment 284415 Here’s a shot of my silver with 19’s next to a silver with the Aeros.
Performance stats as discussed, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I almost wish tesla didn't have those aero covers. They look so ugly to me. Good shots of the actual wheel are quite rare. Not disagreeing with the concept of the cover.. just wish they were sold separately or something and didn't show up in every picture

Last edited:
The car comes with All-Seasons, which means they are a compromise in all situations. 18s are better than 19s (of the same width) for weight and performance, but the car needs sticky summer tires and gripping winter tires.

18s are the way to go, unless you LOVE the look of the optional 19 Sports.

Wanted to get the 20s from EV but at $1300 USD, it's just way too much so i settled for the OEM 19s...Tesla was nice enough to change my order without charging me the $500 change fee. What did you end up deciding? I agree with Cnasty..the 19s really complete this car. The 18's have too much rubber on them for my liking!

Wanted to get the 20s from EV but at $1300 USD, it's just way too much so i settled for the OEM 19s...Tesla was nice enough to change my order without charging me the $500 change fee. What did you end up deciding? I agree with Cnasty..the 19s really complete this car. The 18's have too much rubber on them for my liking!

Wait, $1300 is too much but $1500 is not?

Lighter wheels are better on a Tesla -- see thread here

Looking at these forged mono block wheels ~ 18 lbs and super strong - they have lighter wheels ~17 lbs, but with the weight of the Model 3, I wouldn't go with a low weight rated wheel. For comparison the 18 x 8.5 +40 stock wheels are 21.6 lbs and with the aero covers they are 23 lbs each. The 19's weigh even more (killing range, HP, handling and braking)

Volk-ZE40-51143-1885-BR-35 Volk Racing | ZE40 Bronze Wheel 18x8.5 5x114.3 +35mm

Plus with +35 ET the would extend 5mm beyond the stock outboard view

Wheel Offset Calculator | 1010Tires.com Discount Online Tire and Wheel Store

volk_ze40_bronze.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Adman2298
Enkei's are a good option too - they are not mono-block forged, but for the price they do roll the barrels making them stronger (depending on which one you get). Another option if you are looking at E's is the Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW. A couple of S owners who also race professionally (or did) swear by this design. Enkei's do the same thing with several of their's RSM9 | Enkei Wheels

MAT Technology
Enkei developed a new manufacturing process to produce the next aluminum wheel generation. The Most Advanced Technology (M.A.T) combines one-piece cast wheel technology with a rim forming technology called spinning process. Using this new technology of casting and rim forming by M.A.T process, is critical to improve drastically the material property and strength of the wheels. Rim-Rolled technology shapes the rim to improve material elongation without sacrificing the wheels hardness.

The Nurburgring Rotary Forged® Wheel is manufactured using a highly advanced production technique called Rotary Forging. The rim of the wheels is forged at high pressure while the wheel is spun at high speed. This alters the molecular structure and enhances the strength of the alloy. The benefit is a much lighter weight than a regular cast wheel. Most importantly, the weight saving is in the outer rim of the wheel which dramatically reduces rotational mass and enhances vehicle performance.

Enkei's are a good option too - they are not mono-block forged, but for the price they do roll the barrels making them stronger (depending on which one you get). Another option if you are looking at E's is the Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW. A couple of S owners who also race professionally (or did) swear by this design. Enkei's do the same thing with several of their's RSM9 | Enkei Wheels

MAT Technology
Enkei developed a new manufacturing process to produce the next aluminum wheel generation. The Most Advanced Technology (M.A.T) combines one-piece cast wheel technology with a rim forming technology called spinning process. Using this new technology of casting and rim forming by M.A.T process, is critical to improve drastically the material property and strength of the wheels. Rim-Rolled technology shapes the rim to improve material elongation without sacrificing the wheels hardness.

The Nurburgring Rotary Forged® Wheel is manufactured using a highly advanced production technique called Rotary Forging. The rim of the wheels is forged at high pressure while the wheel is spun at high speed. This alters the molecular structure and enhances the strength of the alloy. The benefit is a much lighter weight than a regular cast wheel. Most importantly, the weight saving is in the outer rim of the wheel which dramatically reduces rotational mass and enhances vehicle performance.

Another option is to buy the used on eBay... that what a lot of us weekend track guys do to save money.. Every unsprung pound counts in the wheel, tire and brake components - 10 pounds in this area of the car can make a drastic difference in handling, ride quality and acceleration / efficiency. Just look at what a couple pound difference 18 and 19's make on the Model 3 range.... 10%%%% with one wheel size and a couple of aero covers...

• Disagree
Reactions: Adman2298
Lighter wheels FTW. However not everyone has the extra cash for aftermarkets, so if talking OEMs and living in it never rains in southern california, I'd stick with the 18's -- they're basically 2 wheels in one and should provide better range even with the covers off. They really don't look bad if you remove the covers. Even better if you lower the car 1.5-2" -- another 2 in one whammy with better looks and handling.

Coincidentally, this is the route I went on my black Model 3.

Cheers

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I went 19" staggered with aftermarket AG M621's. The entire package weighs the same as the 18" aero wheels (the rear is 1 pound more due to the tire being much larger) but I don't think 2 lbs is going to make much of a difference. I am going to check range this weekend as I am heading to Vegas. I'll let you know how it goes...

I'll cool and sporty with functionality any day of the week and these look so much better than either of the Tesla options. BTW, I kept them as a 19" setup.

Here are some pics...

01e7dd1acbfb6eb5dfa49081b0e022b8ff7cc58765.jpg 0142c6dc5b580d5b1d7b67d7131806033c15a94f9c.jpg 01094c1b539e27aea89c0bb93511ce41e76263730e.jpg 018225e2e20b3134b94ecd493949f0a359d154de64.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: DR61 and scrapps
I was contemplating 19s vs 18s too. getting a set custom made for me by a local wheel company. However, I have a midnight silver model 3 and I was wondering what is everyone's thoughts are about either a "anthracite grey satin" colored wheel or my new intriguing option, a "frozen dark bronze" on this car. :)

I’m confused
In this video

shows the opposite that most people say on this thread. He says that the 19” have better

Ride comfort because of lower tyre pressure
Grip in corners
Stopping distance
Faster acceleration time

So does that mean the only advantage the 18” is range?