TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

18" vs 19" wheels - ride quality

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by encinoman, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. encinoman

encinoman MS 90D

I recently drove a Model 3 with the 19" sport wheels and noticed that the ride quality was quite stiff/harsh-ish.

Wondering how different it would feel with the 18" aero wheels.

Has anyone driven a model 3 with both types of wheels? If so, is there a major difference in ride quality?

Thanks in advance.

2. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

What was the VIN of the Model 3 you rode in? The early ones had stiffer suspensions. I believe anything build after Jan. 1 now has the softer suspension.

3. encinoman

encinoman MS 90D

If I remember correctly, it was early 1600's vin. He said it was delivered in December. Had the Alcantara headliner, which was lovely BTW.

4. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

That would definitely be one with a stiffer ride. I'll bet you can find a newer one in LA to test the softer ride.

5. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

The lower the profile of the tires the worse the ride will get. Smaller side wall will always transfer more impact from the road.

• Informative x 1
  6. encinoman

encinoman MS 90D

Thanks for the info. Do you know what Tesla has done to soften the suspension? Is it different springs/shocks or just an adjustment?

7. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

Different springs, as I understand it.

8. encinoman

encinoman MS 90D

Thanks. I realize that smaller wheels = bigger tires = softer ride. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had driven a M3 with both aero and sport wheels and if there was a noticeable difference in ride quality.

9. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

I have not driven the M3 yet ( My delivery is Saturday, but that's another thread). I have done both the 19's and 21's on the MS and the 21's ride like a tank in my opinion.

10. NathanielHrnblwr

what's the tire sizes for 18 and 19"?

11. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

#11 ForeverFree, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    I believe 235-45-18 and 235-40-19.

Key is that profile ratio difference (45 --> 40) is not as extreme as with 19/21-inch tires on Model S (45 --> 35).

Hence, difference in ride and tire durability should be less pronounced.

12. NathanielHrnblwr

Thanks!

13. encinoman

encinoman MS 90D

Congrats on your upcoming delivery! Yeah, I drove a MS with 21's and it was a rough ride. The M3 I drove with the 19's was rougher than I'd like, but overall was an amazing car. I could live with for sure. Hoping the newer builds ride softer like I'm hearing though.

14. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

We picked up our M3 today. I would say that the ride quality is not bad with the 18's. The road noise seems to be worse, but its not a MS.

15. encinoman

encinoman MS 90D

Congrats! Are you happy with the car overall?

16. david_42

david_42 Member

Particularly if you live in an area where fixing potholes is optional.

17. xav-

xav- Active Member

Like the US?

• Like x 1
  18. MRPLUGIN

MRPLUGIN Member

Wife loves her car, still has some software quirks, but I expected that at this point. I just like how quiet my MS is. I may do some sound proofing, but my wife says she is already used to it.

19. NOCO24U

NOCO24U Member

i have the aero wheels (18") on my 3 (#41XX), there are no other 3's around that i can compare to. i did this test on a volvo s80 (17" vs. 18"), and mercedes e350 (17" vs. 18"). The extra 1" in those other cars made a noticeable difference in my opinion. I would always go for the smallest. it improves efficiency, and provides a softer ride. win/win. i wish the model 3 came with air suspension, active damping, (or even something like Bose/Clearmotion), and 17" wheels. if you're asking this question, and want the softest ride, go with the aero wheels.

• Like x 1
  20. jmanning

jmanning Member

Thanks to everyone's opinions...looking at either keeping our 15' S or selling and getting the 3, the suspension was the only issue my wife had an issue with...I drove 19" rims and was harsher than my coil S, did a vibration test and you can see the difference. Will try to do the same with a 3 with aero rims.