Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" vs 19" wheels - ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently drove a Model 3 with the 19" sport wheels and noticed that the ride quality was quite stiff/harsh-ish.

Wondering how different it would feel with the 18" aero wheels.

Has anyone driven a model 3 with both types of wheels? If so, is there a major difference in ride quality?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I realize that smaller wheels = bigger tires = softer ride. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had driven a M3 with both aero and sport wheels and if there was a noticeable difference in ride quality.

I have not driven the M3 yet ( My delivery is Saturday, but that's another thread). I have done both the 19's and 21's on the MS and the 21's ride like a tank in my opinion.

I believe 235-45-18 and 235-40-19.

Key is that profile ratio difference (45 --> 40) is not as extreme as with 19/21-inch tires on Model S (45 --> 35).

Hence, difference in ride and tire durability should be less pronounced.

Last edited:
I have not driven the M3 yet ( My delivery is Saturday, but that's another thread). I have done both the 19's and 21's on the MS and the 21's ride like a tank in my opinion.
Congrats on your upcoming delivery! Yeah, I drove a MS with 21's and it was a rough ride. The M3 I drove with the 19's was rougher than I'd like, but overall was an amazing car. I could live with for sure. Hoping the newer builds ride softer like I'm hearing though.

Congrats on your upcoming delivery! Yeah, I drove a MS with 21's and it was a rough ride. The M3 I drove with the 19's was rougher than I'd like, but overall was an amazing car. I could live with for sure. Hoping the newer builds ride softer like I'm hearing though.

We picked up our M3 today. I would say that the ride quality is not bad with the 18's. The road noise seems to be worse, but its not a MS.

i have the aero wheels (18") on my 3 (#41XX), there are no other 3's around that i can compare to. i did this test on a volvo s80 (17" vs. 18"), and mercedes e350 (17" vs. 18"). The extra 1" in those other cars made a noticeable difference in my opinion. I would always go for the smallest. it improves efficiency, and provides a softer ride. win/win. i wish the model 3 came with air suspension, active damping, (or even something like Bose/Clearmotion), and 17" wheels. if you're asking this question, and want the softest ride, go with the aero wheels.

Reactions: encinoman
Thanks to everyone's opinions...looking at either keeping our 15' S or selling and getting the 3, the suspension was the only issue my wife had an issue with...I drove 19" rims and was harsher than my coil S, did a vibration test and you can see the difference. Will try to do the same with a 3 with aero rims.