Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18' Wall Connector...ALLLMMMMOOOSSST Long Enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just bought my first Tesla and knew I needed a wall connector. Here's the issue - I don't have a garage. So, I had an electrician install it just on the corner of my house, and this process was not cheap. Unfortunately, before he installed it, we forgot to check whether the cable was long enough to reach the back of my vehicle. And, it is, SORT OF. I have to pull up within 6 inches of my house, and back and forth it, so that I'm at the very outside corner of my driveway (aka not something I'll be doing after a glass of wine) and then stretch the 18' cable to capacity, and it'll just reach the charging port. Of course, I could back into my driveway, but it's on a very steep hill, and that's just as nerve-wracking.

Here's my question - is there any way to lengthen the cable on the wall connector?

So, I just bought my first Tesla and knew I needed a wall connector. Here's the issue - I don't have a garage. So, I had an electrician install it just on the corner of my house, and this process was not cheap. Unfortunately, before he installed it, we forgot to check whether the cable was long enough to reach the back of my vehicle. And, it is, SORT OF. I have to pull up within 6 inches of my house, and back and forth it, so that I'm at the very outside corner of my driveway (aka not something I'll be doing after a glass of wine) and then stretch the 18' cable to capacity, and it'll just reach the charging port. Of course, I could back into my driveway, but it's on a very steep hill, and that's just as nerve-wracking.

Here's my question - is there any way to lengthen the cable on the wall connector?
Just back into the driveway. It's very easy with all the sensors. After doing it a few times it'll seem like nothing. I back into my 150' gravel driveway that isn't steep, but is a huge bend

Are the 24' version 2 connectors a lot slower than the version 3 one that I bought?
1. First off, there is no difference. The unit isn't doing anything fancy. It's a switch that is just connecting the wiring to the car. So if it's a 40A circuit, it's a 40A circuit. It's all the same, no matter which device is making the connection.
2. The wall connectors are able to be set for various levels of circuits, depending on what you are able to install at your house. So you could set it on a 15A, or 20A or 30A, or other levels. If you want to look at what the wall connectors are capable of, though. The version 2 was better. It could go up as high as 100A circuits. The version 3 that you have can only be used on up to 60A circuits. That is why it's built smaller and about half the weight.

You don't even have to use a Tesla charger. I use a chargepoint one and it has a 23ft cable.
Yeah, that's the other thing. Wall mount car charging equipment with the J1772 handle is all one compatible standard, and your car comes with a small adapter for that. That's what most public charging stations are. So you can find ones with 25 or 30 foot cords and just put one of those on. Clipper Creek makes really excellent ones. Here's one that's for a 50A circuit and has a 25 foot cord.
40A Level 2 EVSE HCS-50 | ClipperCreek

1. First off, there is no difference. The unit isn't doing anything fancy. It's a switch that is just connecting the wiring to the car. So if it's a 40A circuit, it's a 40A circuit. It's all the same, no matter which device is making the connection.
2. The wall connectors are able to be set for various levels of circuits, depending on what you are able to install at your house. So you could set it on a 15A, or 20A or 30A, or other levels. If you want to look at what the wall connectors are capable of, though. The version 2 was better. It could go up as high as 100A circuits. The version 3 that you have can only be used on up to 60A circuits. That is why it's built smaller and about half the weight.

Yeah, that's the other thing. Wall mount car charging equipment with the J1772 handle is all one compatible standard, and your car comes with a small adapter for that. That's what most public charging stations are. So you can find ones with 25 or 30 foot cords and just put one of those on. Clipper Creek makes really excellent ones. Here's one that's for a 50A circuit and has a 25 foot cord.

So, with those alternate brands, do you have to buy some kind of adapter to get it to fit your Tesla, or should it fit properly? I figure, with Tesla always out of stock on the chargers, maybe I can sell this one on Ebay and buy a different brand.

So, with those alternate brands, do you have to buy some kind of adapter to get it to fit your Tesla, or should it fit properly? I figure, with Tesla always out of stock on the chargers, maybe I can sell this one on Ebay and buy a different brand.

Your Tesla already came with a J1722 adapter. That's all you need to use a third party L2 EVSE.

Tesla includes a “J1772” adapter with the car. If you bought a used Tesla that is missing the adapter, Tesla sells them for about $100. Look under charging accessories.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I sold my gen 2 on eBay and switched to the chargepoint because its how my electric utility bills ev rates. They sync with the chargepoint. They also gave me a $500 rebate for it.

Anyway the chargepoint is better. It has an app that tells you usage info, cost, you can turn it on and off remotely, set times to start and stop for time of use rates.

Only downsides is you need to use the adapter. I just 3dprinted a holder for the adapter and I leave it on the wall next to the charger. And it's more money if you don't get a rebate like me.

I don't work for chargepoint and I'm not selling anything. Just letting you know the options. The juice box and clipper chargers someone else brought up are likely better too.

If you get a 3rd party one, but a second J1772 adapter from Tesla and keep that one in the car. I guarantee you one day you post here about how you needed L2 charging on a day trip or something and panicked when you got to the charger only to realize you got in the habit of leaving the adapter at home on your home charger. $100 is cheap enough to “eat the cost” and always have one in the car. Never know when a supercharger is down, a road is closed, or anything else where an hour at level 2 speeds is enough to get you to a hotel or other fast charger or something.

Hey, so I was looking at this Clipper Creek model you linked to, and it says it's only good up to 40 amps. There's a 50 amp model that's $899. Any idea why so expensive?? I'm looking at that vs. the ChargePoint, which goes up to 50 amps, and has an app to schedule charging for cheaper times of day, and a plan where you can charge outside the house for a reduced rate, and it's only $600. Is Clipper Creek better in some other way I'm not seeing?

Hey, so I was looking at this Clipper Creek model you linked to, and it says it's only good up to 40 amps. There's a 50 amp model that's $899. Any idea why so expensive?? I'm looking at that vs. the ChargePoint, which goes up to 50 amps, and has an app to schedule charging for cheaper times of day, and a plan where you can charge outside the house for a reduced rate, and it's only $600. Is Clipper Creek better in some other way I'm not seeing?
Build quality, customer service, and built in the U.S.

If you look around at any other brands of mobile or wall charging units, you will find that every other brand is significantly more expensive than Tesla. They managed to make EVSEs (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) that are good and very capable for an amazingly cheap price compared to anyone else. But they are fairly simple and low level of features. So if you need to look elsewhere for some other reason, like energy tracking or longer cords, they just are going to be more expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I saw some Gen 2 Chargers set up outside of a building once. They were creative about it and it looked like they buried a 6x6 post in the ground, mounted two chargers back to back and put a decorative hat/roof on the set up. The parking spot was like 20 feet or so away from the building so this reached out to the cars a lot easier.

Not my picture but the same idea.
0H8BdcGonEMCFJP6Dcn3i9zRBqcXjuNZSErzaQT5wPne_SycaZ_jASh6iVcUjsmAEsSZl7bEudj_wvPQ9mtNDmBzlmHZDOiYyLxuUOW1