Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" wheel on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably not going to see any range increases with those tires. IIRC they are about 37 pounds each and with those Tsportline 18" wheels each corner is 3 pounds heavier. I am running those Falkens with MR502's and my consumption is about 310 Wh/mile vs 280 Wh/mile that I was seeing on the stock inductions. Tsportline - you need to throw a lift on that bad boy (the look just works with those chonky AT tires).

View attachment 805773
I live in IL with four seasons and shitty roads. The 21s wouldn’t last one season on a DD. I’m more interested in a more compliant ride, and more curb/pot hole protection, ability to rotate and then cheaper tires down the road. Any range increase no matter how small is icing on the cake.

Hi There - if you're shopping options, take a look at these packages - these are newly released for Model Y :)
on a MYP what setting in the wheel configuration do you use sense there is no 18" option ?

These are MOMO Heritage 6 18x8.5 +28 on 255/55/18 Falkens. Love the ride and the real-deal MPP lift kit (don’t do knockoffs) and camber arms arrived too.
B8F07486-C685-41F0-A409-AF752435E31A.jpeg

I'm surprised for your choice of 245 tires instead of 255 for the OEM 20".

If you want to improve confort, I would even get wider tires, like 265.
But may be this was a way to keep the same diameter?
NO. 265 likely too much.
Wider tires also increase the tire diameter.
A 265 width will certainly rub at full steering lock. A 255/55/18 just clears, using them with M3 Aero wheels, for instance, has a 1" square rub patch indicating that's the limit !!
Also, wheel offset is a factor.
Also, brake caliper clearance is a factor - not all 18" wheels have sufficient ID (inside diameter).

see tiresize.com to test sizings on paper.

I finally got around to installing my 18" TSportLine Tires/Wheels shod with 245/50 Michelin Pilot Sports All Season tires on my PMY. It's like a different vehicle. For the average driver that doesn't track their vehicles, I believe Tesla should offer this as the base tire/wheel, the 21s could be optional.
howQI9U.jpg

Aside from the obvious improvements in ride and comfort I no longer fear potholes or curbs and I can tell after 150 miles they are more efficient. And while I haven't tested performance with my DRAGY yet, I did do one 0 to 60 blast and can confirm the 245's grip is as good as the 21s, the car just went, with no fuss or drama. Expecting even better 0 to 60 times as a bonus.

And personally, I've never warmed to the uber low profile tire look that seems to be the rage these days. So for my money, this is the best setup for daily use. I live in IL and our potholes have zip codes and the roads in general suck.

I finally got around to installing my 18" TSportLine Tires/Wheels shod with 245/50 Michelin Pilot Sports All Season tires on my PMY. It's like a different vehicle. For the average driver that doesn't track their vehicles, I believe Tesla should offer this as the base tire/wheel, the 21s could be optional.
howQI9U.jpg

Aside from the obvious improvements in ride and comfort I no longer fear potholes or curbs and I can tell after 150 miles they are more efficient. And while I haven't tested performance with my DRAGY yet, I did do one 0 to 60 blast and can confirm the 245's grip is as good as the 21s, the car just went, with no fuss or drama. Expecting even better 0 to 60 times as a bonus.

And personally, I've never warmed to the uber low profile tire look that seems to be the rage these days. So for my money, this is the best setup for daily use. I live in IL and our potholes have zip codes and the roads in general suck.
Ground clearance on the stock MYLR suspension is just 6.5 inches. Lowering just adds to ego and maintenance costs. The MY is a poor choice for track days, a M3 would be better (and cheaper). But just for fun, why not. Just don't take it too seriously (ha! good luck with that)

we use 21" as the rear tire (275/35/21) is the closest outer diameter spec to the 255/55/18.
So what setting should I use for your 18s with the 245/50 tires? Any what exactly changes?

And FYI on my PMY when I changed the tire size from 21 to 19 the range as indicated by the battery icon didn’t change as it has in the past. Is this now just for speedometer correction?

So what setting should I use for your 18s with the 245/50 tires? Any what exactly changes?

And FYI on my PMY when I changed the tire size from 21 to 19 the range as indicated by the battery icon didn’t change as it has in the past. Is this now just for speedometer correction?
Does anyone have some suggestions of non T-line 18" wheels that will fit on the MYP? I want to install some thick winter tires on my car, and the T-Line wheels honestly look ugly to me.

Probably not going to see any range increases with those tires. IIRC they are about 37 pounds each and with those Tsportline 18" wheels each corner is 3 pounds heavier. I am running those Falkens with MR502's and my consumption is about 310 Wh/mile vs 280 Wh/mile that I was seeing on the stock inductions. Tsportline - you need to throw a lift on that bad boy (the look just works with those chonky AT tires).

View attachment 805773
Did those MR502s fit off the rack or did you need hub centric rings?

howQI9U.jpg

Which color/finish are those TSportline wheels?

Reactions: e645824
I bought used M3 18" wheels for $100 each (purchased on the forum here), then put 255/55/18 tires on them.
They're 29" diameter and have 1" more sidewall than the stock 19' Gemini with Conti 255/45/18, at 28" diameter and 4.5" sidewall.
They provide improved ride comfort. They're available. The tires protect the wheel width better, protecting them from curb rash.
They fit no problem, and are ascetically more pleasing; they fill the wheel well a bit more
Hi @tangible1:

Interesting alternative to Tsportline packages. My local race shop also recommended trying wheel / tire upgrade before changing the coilovers. How is it holding up now ? You see improved comfort.

Hi @tangible1:

Interesting alternative to Tsportline packages. My local race shop also recommended trying wheel / tire upgrade before changing the coilovers. How is it holding up now ? You see improved comfort.
There is some benefit to 18" wheels and taller (larger diameter) tires.
However, the improvement is modest but is discernable.
the wheelbase and stock suspension are limiters; you still get the rolling jiggles on uneven pavements.