Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18" wheel on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving the S for a few months and putting the 20" induction wheels back on the Y, I find the ride a bit too harsh as several comment about. The Y is used by my wife 90% of the time and definitely no performance going on. She is in chill all the time. There is quite a difference from my winter tire 19" setup compared to the induction 20" setup when it comes to ride quality so I figure let's go 18" for a higher sidewall and further improvement in ride comfort, notice I did not say performance. ;)

Looking at putting on 18" RTX Spider wheels and 18" Kumho tires as they seem to be very well rated, well priced and more importantly have a decent wear rating. Load is no problem as well as speed rating. Looking for comfort, quietness and longevity.

Anyone see any possible issue here?

I'm surprised for your choice of 245 tires instead of 255 for the OEM 20".

If you want to improve comfort, I would even get wider tires, like 265.
But may be this was a way to keep the same diameter?
Availability is the main reason and the width is only .4" narrower on the 245.

A 255/50R18 is a rare bird. Only 2 to choose from on tire rack and both are not XL load rated. 255/50R18 Choices

Last edited:
I got 18s and 235/55s and they definitely ride softer.. I got phantom c-sport tires which seem extra soft so much that I feel like I may be sliding if I really get on it in a turn.. not sure though was going for comfort/better snow traction and they've delivered.. might do 245s on next summer tire

Reactions: Midnightsun
Thanks for the input. I do have dedicated winter wheels/tire setup so winter traction is not important in my decision of tires. Looking more for wet capability/quiet/comfort and long a wear rating. The Kumhos seem to be a pretty solid choice in all of those categories.

After driving the S for a few months and putting the 20" induction wheels back on the Y, I find the ride a bit too harsh as several comment about. The Y is used by my wife 90% of the time and definitely no performance going on. She is in chill all the time. There is quite a difference from my winter tire 19" setup compared to the induction 20" setup when it comes to ride quality so I figure let's go 18" for a higher sidewall and further improvement in ride comfort, notice I did not say performance. ;)

Looking at putting on 18" RTX Spider wheels and 18" Kumho tires as they seem to be very well rated, well priced and more importantly have a decent wear rating. Load is no problem as well as speed rating. Looking for comfort, quietness and longevity.

Hi There - if you're shopping options, take a look at these packages - these are newly released for Model Y :)

Hi There - if you're shopping options, take a look at these packages - these are newly released for Model Y :)
one recommendation i would have is to put your tire specs in the photos on your site, i am looking at the 19s with the 275s but i can never tell in the photos if any of the model ys in the photo are using the extra side wall 275s

Reactions: BailMY
I just ordered a Performance Y and am expecting delivery in the next 90 to 120 days and was looking at a 19" tire/wheel package but this new 18"
package has me intrigued. I do wonder what impact it could have on the PMY's overall performance (acceleration/braking/handling/efficiency). I live in Illinois and our roads make Beruit's look like a pool table, but I don't want to lose why I bought the Performance Y in the first place - PERFORMANCE. Can those 245's handle the Performance Y's power?

Thanks in advance

I bought used M3 18" wheels for $100 each (purchased on the forum here), then put 255/55/18 tires on them.
They're 29" diameter and have 1" more sidewall than the stock 19' Gemini with Conti 255/45/18, at 28" diameter and 4.5" sidewall.
They provide improved ride comfort. They're available. The tires protect the wheel width better, protecting them from curb rash.
They fit no problem, and are ascetically more pleasing; they fill the wheel well a bit more

I bought used M3 18" wheels for $100 each (purchased on the forum here), then put 255/55/18 tires on them.
They're 29" diameter and have 1" more sidewall than the stock 19' Gemini with Conti 255/45/18, at 28" diameter and 4.5" sidewall.
They provide improved ride comfort. They're available. The tires protect the wheel width better, protecting them from curb rash.
They fit no problem, and are ascetically more pleasing; they fill the wheel well a bit more
Did the M3 18" wheels have any issues fitting over the MYP brakes? I assume you are running 5x114 to 5x120 adapters/spacers. Do you have any pix of your setup to share here.

Tesla Model Y Overland & Offroad 18” Wheel & Tire Package

These bad boys do clear the Performance brakes. Falken Wildpeak All Terrain tire is also severe snow rated.

overland x tf.jpg

Did the M3 18" wheels have any issues fitting over the MYP brakes? I assume you are running 5x114 to 5x120 adapters/spacers. Do you have any pix of your setup to share here.

you can use the 18" Method MR502, which clears MYP brakes no problem. And the new BFG Trail-Terrain tires are great as well.
method502.jpg

Last edited:
Am so looking forward to your video, am keenly interested in any WEIGHT SAVINGS as well as any PERFORMANCE and RANGE INCREASE'S.
Probably not going to see any range increases with those tires. IIRC they are about 37 pounds each and with those Tsportline 18" wheels each corner is 3 pounds heavier. I am running those Falkens with MR502's and my consumption is about 310 Wh/mile vs 280 Wh/mile that I was seeing on the stock inductions. Tsportline - you need to throw a lift on that bad boy (the look just works with those chonky AT tires).

MY_Lift.jpg

Probably not going to see any range increases with those tires. IIRC they are about 37 pounds each and with those Tsportline 18" wheels each corner is 3 pounds heavier. I am running those Falkens with MR502's and my consumption is about 310 Wh/mile vs 280 Wh/mile that I was seeing on the stock inductions. Tsportline - you need to throw a lift on that bad boy (the look just works with those chonky AT tires).

View attachment 805773
Yes sir! Our lift kit is inbound and will be installed asap - will be joining you at 2.25" up!