TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

18" wheels

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Darth Fedor, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Darth Fedor

Darth Fedor Member

Hi everyone. I'm looking to install 18" wheels on my MS for the winter. Not really to save on cost, but more to have a higher profile tire, better driving in the snow. HAs anyone every installed 18" on their MS?

Cheers

2. VCanucks

VCanucks Member

I don't know anything about getting 18" on a MS but if you're looking for better traction in the snow, a narrower tire will perform better than one with thicker rubber. This is because it will cut to the bottom rather than sit on top of snow and this can be achieved with 19" wheels.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Unfortunately, no one has found an off-the-shelf 18" wheel that will clear the brakes (other than temporary spare wheels). I'm guessing you could get one custom made for a few thousand dollars per wheel. However, there are many posts showing that 19" wheels with good snow tires, such as Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 or Michelin X-Ice Xi3, work very well in winter conditions.

4. agloutney

agloutney Member

I was wondering the same thing. 18" would definitely be handy on Quebec roads. Canadian Tire lists some when you search by car type but I have no idea how accurate their info is.

5. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Alternatively one could mount 225/50-19 snow tyres on 8Jx19 rims, to obtain a more narrow contactpatch with the road/snow. If so desired.

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

From Norway winter experiences no-one found an 18" wheel that works. But as Jerry says many nice winter tires come in 19" and work well. I really doubt 18" would make a diffrence. I was happy with Hakkapelitta R2s, but they are soft with a "mushy" feel compared with summer tires.