Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18'' winter wheels delivered without Aero covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 18'' winter wheels I had ordered with my Model 3 and which had been stored at Tesla's official wheel storage partner and went to our local (non-Tesla) service station to get them installed. When we opened the package I was surprised to find that there were no Aero covers included. Called Tesla and they said that winter wheels do indeed come without Aero covers?

I find this strange because when I ordered the car (Dec 2018) the winter wheel option showed the wheels WITH Aero covers. When I go to the configurator today they are shown without Aero covers. You can't even buy Aero covers separately in the online store, only the lugnut and center hole covers.

Anyone else from Germany/Europe have the same experience/problem?

I just got my 18'' winter wheels I had ordered with my Model 3 and which had been stored at Tesla's official wheel storage partner and went to our local (non-Tesla) service station to get them installed. When we opened the package I was surprised to find that there were no Aero covers included. Called Tesla and they said that winter wheels do indeed come without Aero covers?

I find this strange because when I ordered the car (Dec 2018) the winter wheel option showed the wheels WITH Aero covers. When I go to the configurator today they are shown without Aero covers. You can't even buy Aero covers separately in the online store, only the lugnut and center hole covers.

Anyone else from Germany/Europe have the same experience/problem?
Hi AustinPowers. How much did you paid for the set of winter wheels? I am from Luxembourg, btw

Hi AustinPowers. How much did you paid for the set of winter wheels? I am from Luxembourg, btw

I will have to look this up.
But I definitely remember that when I ordered in Dec 2018 the picture on the order page showed the winter wheels WITH Aero Covers. Now of course it is shown without them. Pity I didn't request to take my set of winter wheels home with me when the car was delivered in March 2019 but instead had them store the wheels until I got them just recently. Perhaps back then I would have gotten the Aero Covers.

Strange also that you can't even buy them separately. You only get them if you buy the car and choose the 18'' standard wheel option.

I will have to look this up.
But I definitely remember that when I ordered in Dec 2018 the picture on the order page showed the winter wheels WITH Aero Covers. Now of course it is shown without them. Pity I didn't request to take my set of winter wheels home with me when the car was delivered in March 2019 but instead had them store the wheels until I got them just recently. Perhaps back then I would have gotten the Aero Covers.

Strange also that you can't even buy them separately. You only get them if you buy the car and choose the 18'' standard wheel option.

Thanks for the message. In the meantime I ordered some aftermarket rims from Alutec ( Monstr - black 18") which were specially designed for the M3, and GoodYear winter tires + TPMS. The total price is around 1400€. I will post a photo after the car will arrive and I'll put the wheels on.

Frankly I'm surprised that they don't make all aero covers optional. I took mine off as soon as I got my new car with 18" wheels to expose the nice rims underneath. I expect they make them standard for the longer mileage rating.

The funny thing is in the app my car is now shown with winter wheels, i.e. the 18-inch wheels WITH Aero covers. The change happened when I set up the TPMS after the wheels had been changed from summer to winter.
I don't understand why Tesla doesn't at least sell the Aero covers as optional extras. Anyway, I will live without them. If I have to go on longer roadtrips during the winter I will have to make do with less range. Don't have to like it though. Small things like this tend to add up over time and might influence me when the time comes to buy a new car. After all I never had such an issue with previous cars I bought. And by that I don't mean the missing Aero covers per se but the fact that what you get is not what you ordered, yet as the website has by now been changed I have no proof of what was current when I ordered the car. Leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth.