Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18650 cells for the truck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. I'm going completely off my shoddy memory but I believe they are winding down their 18650 commitment to Panasonic while also saving them form having to redesign the S/X packs.

I expect the truck (and Roadster) to be based on M3 pack architecture.

New batteries and platform that could support new Roadster or refresh Model S/X. With the Rivian being 4 motors, that platform would support that too. A Roadster with 600 miles on that platform would deliver about 2/3 that for the truck or 400 miles range. While towing, 200 miles range is still workable with the current Supercharger spacing.

isnt the cybertruck using the older ac induction motors from the rear of the model s/x for the rear, and model 3 permanent magnet motor for the front, just like tesla raven powertrain? i dont want them to also be using the older 18650 batteries as well. afaik i think tesla still uses 18650 for currently produced model s and x. maybe they will switch to 2170 with plaid drivetrain

I see zero logic in thinking using the same motors means using the same cells.

The 18650 are a legacy part available when the S and X were developed.

The 2170 in the 3 is a Tesla design. Other than legacy contracts and architecture in the S and X there is no reason to use the 18650 for anything.

More likely the S and X will transition away from 18650 than an additional vehicle will use them.