Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18650 vs upcoming 2170 cells and 350KW supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is the question. I have my new AP2 P100D with 18650 cells that can only take a 120kw charge. (I am guessing that's the limit). I have free unlimited supercharging. The new 2170 cells and 350KW superchargers are coming. So like what's the deal? I'm going to be the slow guy at the supercharger and all these Model 3s and new Model S/Xs are going to be impatiently waiting for me to finish charging. They have to pay to charge while I take up room and charge for free and slowly. What's the solution?

I doubt you'll be seeing any Tesla charging at 350 kW. That would require all of the Supercharger infrastructure to be updated at tremendous cost. I think we'll see current speeds for the foreseeable future and not before a faster competitor arrives on the scene.

Reactions: CHG-ON
Different pump, so we won't clog that and they won't clog ours. I think it will be a powerful demand lever if they get it going but it will start very slowly. Its a mirage at first is how Tesla always does it. Meanwhile the performance of the 2170s is unknown, especially these first batches. What if the chemistry has some unknown undesired defect that affects performance? We'll only find out once its put into service. I'm fine with my 186500s because they hold juice just fine and it'll be 5 years before Tesla has even half the infrastructure for 350kw that they presently have for 135kw.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 18750 pack's inevitable obsolescence; by the time it becomes a noticeable problem for us, there'll have been another giant leap in battery tech and the 2170 will also have been consigned to the history books. Hopefully Tesla will be able to simply swap the battery pack (wishful thinking there)

The 2170 cells are a great step forward. But, then again... innovation in battery tech is exploding (heh).

For example, Prof. Goodenough's new solid-state battery breakthrough is actually quite viable; at just 94 years young, he and his team could well have just contributed a second world-changing leap in battery tech. I'm almost certain he's had a call from Tesla already :)

It all moves fast. The DrivePX2 "supercomputer" powering AP2 now looks really old-fashioned, compared to the new-gen Xavier board out later this year. Introducing NVIDIA Xavier | NVIDIA Blog

I wasn't thinking about the tech aspect but the pissed off customer aspect of new owners who have to wait for us. Tesla should give us free battery packs to free up supercharging time. ;)
Our cars will be in the majority for a long time. The Model 3s coming out later this year will almost certainly not be able to take 350V charging. Tesla wants to keep the price down and Elon said they're limiting the new stuff at first to make the cars simpler (he learned his lesson with the Model X).

I wouldn't worry too much about the 18750 pack's inevitable obsolescence; by the time it becomes a noticeable problem for us, there'll have been another giant leap in battery tech and the 2170 will also have been consigned to the history books. Hopefully Tesla will be able to simply swap the battery pack (wishful thinking there)

The 2170 cells are a great step forward. But, then again... innovation in battery tech is exploding (heh).

For example, Prof. Goodenough's new solid-state battery breakthrough is actually quite viable; at just 94 years young, he and his team could well have just contributed a second world-changing leap in battery tech. I'm almost certain he's had a call from Tesla already :)

It all moves fast. The DrivePX2 "supercomputer" powering AP2 now looks really old-fashioned, compared to the new-gen Xavier board out later this year. Introducing NVIDIA Xavier | NVIDIA Blog

All of that assuming there's no major Model S refresh in the works to make it a moot question?

I wasn't thinking about the tech aspect but the pissed off customer aspect of new owners who have to wait for us. Tesla should give us free battery packs to free up supercharging time. ;)

If your car has not been superseded by a recent change within 6 months, consider yourself lucky. One thing about Tesla, they never GIVE anything away. You are welcome to trade in your vehicle at anytime though, they will be vey happy to assist you with that.