TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

18650 Winding Speed

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Heinomat, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Heinomat

Heinomat New Member

Hi Guys,

we try to build a cost model for cylindrical EV-Batteries in one of my university classes. From a manufacturing perspective, the achievable winding speed of cells is going to be an important factor. Therefore: does anyone of you know how long it takes to wind a 18650 jelly roll? Or even better, does anyone of you know how fast those machines wind (in rounds per minute) in general? I know it's not really Tesla's business (yet) but maybe someone of you knows something helpful...

Thank you guys in advance!

2. MacroP

MacroP Member

I remember watching a video a few years back (can't remember if it was at a Panasonic factory) which showed the winding of a 18650 cell. There were dozens of machines in a line doing the same task. For each cell, it was all over in a few seconds. The assembly of each cell was very quick however I believe the prep work of cell foil takes time. The electrolyte is baked on to the foil beforehand or something and I think this takes the most time, maybe a few hours or even longer. I could be wrong here. I've tried to find that video recently but couldn't. The detailed manufacturing process of these cells seems to very secretive.

3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Here's a slow version

Curious In the year 2525 instrumental music choice. Or maybe it's papa don't preach. Keep hearing both