Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18inch Tsportline wheels on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 235 45R 18 Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires on my 2020 M3LR and last Saturday ran [email protected] at Top Gun Raceway in Fallon NV (first run). Arrived at the drag strip with 65% SOC and after 11 nearly consecutive runs (I got there early) tapered off to 12.529@111. Best reaction time was .055.

I don’t track efficiency and the tires are noisy over rough concrete. I appreciate the wide sidewalls.

Attachments

• 584E55D8-0CEA-462A-8ABD-B2CB28DD1DE5.jpeg
    584E55D8-0CEA-462A-8ABD-B2CB28DD1DE5.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I too am a big fan of lightweight 18's for the M3P. I am on my 9th wheelset, and so far the 18x9.5 w/ 265/40-18 have been the best performers.

I ran consistent 11.3's @117 with just a wheel/tire swap, as they were 46.8lbs, 9.5 lbs lighter per corner then the stock wheel setup.

I will be experimenting with even lighter wheel combos soon.

I too am a big fan of lightweight 18's for the M3P. I am on my 9th wheelset, and so far the 18x9.5 w/ 265/40-18 have been the best performers.

I ran consistent 11.3's @117 with just a wheel/tire swap, as they were 46.8lbs, 9.5 lbs lighter per corner then the stock wheel setup.

I ran 8 out of 9 runs this past weekend in the 11.3s. I was even able to run with a 460 KW “Max Discharge” value. It was essentially the same as my previous 459 KW runs(upper 11.2s). However, staying above 457 KW really seems to maximize performance with the smaller lighter wheels. I have done 28 total runs of 11.3x or less now with the lighter wheels.

0B03D609-730F-4192-88AB-F46DBA00F2C5.jpeg

44D9DB07-D5A5-4F89-9B45-4184F42B0819.jpeg

AD353854-1E4E-451F-87E8-67EACED3CEF9.jpeg

I ran 8 out of 9 runs this past weekend in the 11.3s. I was even able to run with a 460 KW “Max Discharge” value. It was essentially the same as my previous 459 KW runs(upper 11.2s). However, staying above 457 KW really seems to maximize performance with the smaller lighter wheels. I have done 28 total runs of 11.3x or less now with the lighter wheels.

View attachment 849539
View attachment 849540
View attachment 849541
You are the guy that has the supercharger next to the track, correct? the closest supercharger to my strip is ~25 miles away. best i could manage is 93 SOC upon arriving to the track.

Cornering benefit on 19s vs. 18s are greatly exaggerated. I would say there is a slight perceptible difference between my 20s and 18s on hard cornering as the sidewalls flex more but the contact patch between the two are the same so skidpad yields the same results if you have the same tire. The 19s will look better and have a bit better handling feel due to stiffer sidewall but the 18s will be more comfortable, take potholes better, and be cheaper. I love my 18s...they made my car much more livable on bad streets.

You are the guy that has the supercharger next to the track, correct? the closest supercharger to my strip is ~25 miles away. best i could manage is 93 SOC upon arriving to the track.
All 3(two now. One closed permanently this week) of our tracks had Superchargers within 10 miles of the track. The closest Supercharger to a track here was 4 miles.

Our main track has a Supercharger 10 miles away but they have NEMA 14-50 chargers trackside.

Reactions: Rodney!
Cornering benefit on 19s vs. 18s are greatly exaggerated. I would say there is a slight perceptible difference between my 20s and 18s on hard cornering as the sidewalls flex more but the contact patch between the two are the same so skidpad yields the same results if you have the same tire. The 19s will look better and have a bit better handling feel due to stiffer sidewall but the 18s will be more comfortable, take potholes better, and be cheaper. I love my 18s...they made my car much more livable on bad streets.
I think the biggest difference in cornering with the 18s is the cornering feel. Confidence in cornering is a huge part of it. Both tires may offer similar at the limit grip. However, the fact that the 18s seem to have a delay in reaction because of the sidewall difference can result in a loss in cornering confidence.

Reactions: Apprunner
I think the biggest difference in cornering with the 18s is the cornering feel. Confidence in cornering is a huge part of it. Both tires may offer similar at the limit grip. However, the fact that the 18s seem to have a delay in reaction because of the sidewall difference can result in a loss in cornering confidence.
That may be true but I don’t get nearly close enough to the limits of the PS4 in city streets or canyon carving to make that a consideration.

You’d only feel that in track or autocross

• Funny
Reactions: Rodney!
The exact tire can have a big effect on that, even in the same performance category. Any performance-ish tire should feel responsive with super skinny 235/35 sidewalls. The differences will come out a lot more with, for example, 245/45. I can heartily recommend the Bridgestone Potenza Sport in 245/45R18 for this car. Very responsive mid-corner. Significantly more grip than the stock 235/35R20 Pirelli PZ4 too, and none of that obnoxious squealing.

Stiff sidewalls are of course a direct tradeoff in ride smoothness. But 245/45 is enough sidewall that the ride is good anyways, easily better than stock, even with very sturdy responsive sidewalls. I like the tradeoffs.

Which

Do you mind sharing the 1/8 mile time? My best on the stock wheels is a 7.29 and I'm curious how much I can shave off with 18's.

Just as a data point, I received my 18 inch T-Sportline TSS wheels and tires in December. I was averaging 340 wh/mi lifetime with the 20 inch wheels and PS4s. Since then, I've been average around 295 wh/mi with PS4s. I have to say, the biggest improvement was ride quality...such a big difference for me.

I just ordered the same and was thrilled to see a comment about them here. Thanks for this note and I'm hoping to see similar results while also having tires capable of the snowy weather here in Denver.

I just ordered the same and was thrilled to see a comment about them here. Thanks for this note and I'm hoping to see similar results while also having tires capable of the snowy weather here in Denver.

You'll probably get better range if you went all seasons vs. the PS4S setup i have now on the TSS. I still love them and think i made a great decision to downsize to 18s.