Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18inch Tsportline wheels on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a ton of research I have finally decided to upgrade or in this case downgrade my wheels. I have a goal of maximizing acceleration and efficiency just not at the same time.

I just purchased a set of 18" TSportline wheels with 235/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. These are 22 lb wheels with 23 lb tires. My current 20" UberHeavy wheels are 32 lbs and the corresponding Pirelli PZ4 tires are 24 lbs. I should drop about 10 lbs per corner and have ever so slightly more torque with a .2 inch smaller diameter outer tire.

For the price pretty much nothing else can touch this package. The 18" PS4S tires are not expensive to replace so I am going to pack the 20" UberHeavy wheels away for resell value later. I have less than 5,000 miles on those so they will still be good if I need to trade the car in later.

I am really curious to see if the new wheels are more or less efficient. They might be less efficient because they are not really that aerodynamic. However, this should make my 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance significantly faster for acceleration. Going with lighter wheels and tires like this typically can take off .1 seconds 0-60 MPH and perhaps as much as .2 seconds for the 1/4 mile. I know that doesn't sound like much but it would be significant to me at the track. It puts me in contention in the 11.0 class at the track where my 11.45+ is just not competitive in that class right now.

It will be an interesting experiment. I will do many videos comparing the stock 20" UberHeavy wheels with the new 18" wheels and tires.

Attachments

• IMG_4421.JPEG
    IMG_4421.JPEG
    706 KB · Views: 892
Last edited by a moderator:
I want to do the same but have been eyeballing the forged Titan T-S5 18-inchers. About 3 pounds less, but $150 more. (Per wheel)

The
I think the aerodynamics of the wheel is more important than weight when it come to range. That's why the stock 18 in. wheel covers provide more range than the same wheels running bare.
And the ligher and smaller oem 18" wheels are also shod on more economic tires optimized to range, as opposed to the sportier 19/20" options

I want to do the same but have been eyeballing the forged Titan T-S5 18-inchers. About 3 pounds less, but $150 more. (Per wheel)
Those do look like a good option if they are actually available. A lot of the options may be lighter but they are often out of stock, more expensive, and some of them require additional components or modifications to properly install the wheels.

My understanding is that the Tsportline wheels are plug and play. They are supposed to be ready to install as they are shipped. They have hub covers, TPMS sensors, bolt covers l, and tires for $3,000 plus tax. That just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up on.

Originally, I wanted the Enkei RPF1 wheels but I saw the message in the attached picture and I didn’t want to deal with trying to make them fit.

Attachments

• DFC16A72-1AAF-4FA2-A58A-8EE2DB336E10.png
    DFC16A72-1AAF-4FA2-A58A-8EE2DB336E10.png
    488 KB · Views: 452
The

And the ligher and smaller oem 18" wheels are also shod on more economic tires optimized to range, as opposed to the sportier 19/20" options
I am really curious to see if the all season tires really are that much more efficient than the summer tires in identical sizes. The all season tires that are Tesla specific are really heavy. Some of those can be up to 28 lbs where the summer tires can be as low as 22 lbs. 6 lbs difference at the outermost diameter of the tire would be a substantial difference for acceleration. It could affect efficiency a lot as well.

So after a ton of research I have finally decided to upgrade or in this case downgrade my wheels. I have a goal of maximizing acceleration and efficiency just not at the same time.

I just purchased a set of 18" TSportline wheels with 235/45/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. These are 22 lb wheels with 23 lb tires. My current 20" UberHeavy wheels are 32 lbs and the corresponding Pirelli PZ4 tires are 24 lbs. I should drop about 10 lbs per corner and have ever so slightly more torque with a .2 inch smaller diameter outer tire.

For the price pretty much nothing else can touch this package. The 18" PS4S tires are not expensive to replace so I am going to pack the 20" UberHeavy wheels away for resell value later. I have less than 5,000 miles on those so they will still be good if I need to trade the car in later.

I am really curious to see if the new wheels are more or less efficient. They might be less efficient because they are not really that aerodynamic. However, this should make my 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance significantly faster for acceleration. Going with lighter wheels and tires like this typically can take off .1 seconds 0-60 MPH and perhaps as much as .2 seconds for the 1/4 mile. I know that doesn't sound like much but it would be significant to me at the track. It puts me in contention in the 11.0 class at the track where my 11.45+ is just not competitive in that class right now.

It will be an interesting experiment. I will do many videos comparing the stock 20" UberHeavy wheels with the new 18" wheels and tires.

Thanks for the order, looking forward to seeing some photos installed and hearing your feedback :)

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Those do look like a good option if they are actually available. A lot of the options may be lighter but they are often out of stock, more expensive, and some of them require additional components or modifications to properly install the wheels.

My understanding is that the Tsportline wheels are plug and play. They are supposed to be ready to install as they are shipped. They have hub covers, TPMS sensors, bolt covers l, and tires for $3,000 plus tax. That just seemed like too good of a deal to pass up on.

Originally, I wanted the Enkei RPF1 wheels but I saw the message in the attached picture and I didn’t want to deal with trying to make them fit.
The Titan7 T-S5 are out of stock as of when I last checked- sometime last week and have been for a while. But I still have some Pirelli rubber to burn through before I replace my wheels.

I am really enjoying the 18" Tsportline TS5's with Continental A/S tires I have on my M3P. Car seems to ride a bit better to me, and I am not freaking out every time I come across potholes in the road. There is a bit of a gap, but that will be taken care of in time.

View attachment 811664
Looks great! Have you been able to notice any performance or efficiency improvements?

Just as a data point, I received my 18 inch T-Sportline TSS wheels and tires in December. I was averaging 340 wh/mi lifetime with the 20 inch wheels and PS4s. Since then, I've been average around 295 wh/mi with PS4s. I have to say, the biggest improvement was ride quality...such a big difference for me.
Great information! Thanks for sharing that. I definitely would be happy with those improvements over stock. Have you been able to observe any performance improvements in acceleration?

I have been getting about 273 Wh/mi with the 20” UberHeavy wheels but I have a very unique commute each day. It is pretty much ideal conditions. I am very interested to see if I can improve on the already impressive efficiency that I am getting.

77B294BD-C624-4C31-BC8C-1D736EE3B1F3.jpeg

Last edited:
@mpgxsvcd I expect you'll gain efficiency with the change. I gained efficiency/range when I replaced my stock Uberturbine+PZ4 setup with Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5" wheels and Bridgestone Potenza Sport 245/45R18 tires - same category as the PZ4, with more grip dry and wet.

I don't have exact numbers to share, I don't keep efficiency logs and my usage of the car is way too inconsistent to compare long periods of time/miles. However what I did notice is it became very easy to match the M3P's EPA rated efficiency, both on flat highways (e.g. 70-73mph cruising) and twisty road driving (when taking it easy, not when hammering it through the twisties ;)).

Here's my musings on the tires:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6586661/

Photos of the wheels+tires while still on stock suspension:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6611533/

(Last photo in that post was getting ready to swap in my coilovers.)

Had a question... one of the wheel guys that I am talking to recommended that I upgrade my tires to 19in from 18in. He said 18in aftermarket wheels dont look that good on the Model3, and it wouldnt even be worth it. Is anyone running 18's on their Model3? Or is the consensus to upgrade altogether to 19s?

Had a question... one of the wheel guys that I am talking to recommended that I upgrade my tires to 19in from 18in. He said 18in aftermarket wheels dont look that good on the Model3, and it wouldnt even be worth it. Is anyone running 18's on their Model3? Or is the consensus to upgrade altogether to 19s?
See post #11. I went from 20’s to 18’s and have no regrets.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The looks are subjective. However, the benefits of 18s are real.

18s offer the best road hazard protection, the best efficiency, and some straight line acceleration benefits.

19s can offer close benefits to the 18s too. It all just depends what you want out of it.

The biggest drawback to 18s that I have noticed is that the tall sidewall isn’t ideal for cornering. Other than that I really like my 18s.

2D8044A1-BE24-4129-A5FC-6D1F6B178C22.jpeg