Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19” Gemini’s Crackling Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I had read about this somewhere else on this forum, but my searches are all coming up empty.

When “creeping” in my MY there is a crackling noise coming from my tires. I can only hear it if my window is down and I’m barely moving (in a drive thru line etc.).

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what did you do to fix it? Is it a Mobile Service need?

Same here, but like others have said, it's only ever noticeable at low speeds with the window down (like pulling out of the garage). I've got about 1000 miles on mine – I don't know if they're going to "settle" any more. I'd be curious to know if it can be fixed with some well-placed tape.

Mine also crackle. If it doesn't go away, I might fuss about it but I'll give it a few hundred miles first. It frankly doesn't bother me
I’ve now given it 2000 miles and it hasn’t improved so I put in for a service appointment later this month. Not acceptable in a $70k car, heck any new car really. Link below is to the video I sent the Tesla service team. I assume this is the same as others are experiencing. Let me know if the video doesn’t work.

20200801_224716000_iOS.MOV

Reactions: chadol
I’ve now given it 2000 miles and it hasn’t improved so I put in for a service appointment later this month. Not acceptable in a $70k car, heck any new car really. Link below is to the video I sent the Tesla service team. I assume this is the same as others are experiencing. Let me know if the video doesn’t work.

20200801_224716000_iOS.MOV
Yep, that's what I'm hearing on mine. Let us know if you get anywhere with the SC. :)

I stopped by the Scottsdale, AZ service center this morning as part of an appointment for my Model Y. The tech mentioned the noise is very common and is from the plastic used on the rims. They will end up putting a type of insulation inside the rim to remove the noise. I had to end up postponing my appointment until early September for other reasons. Once that gets taken care of I’ll update.

I did not report it, but the issue was relayed to me (the SC advisor confused cases) and told me the crackling is a known issue and no fix has been identified at this point. He was going to mark it as known issue, no known solution and when a solution became available they would reach back out. Since I didn't report the issue at first, I asked what he was referring to (as I had another sound issue) and he corrected himself and apologized for the confusion. After it made sense, I asked to be notified when it was resolved in the future. So unless there are other issues you @NoICEallElec are having, it might be a waste of your time to take it in at this point.

That said, I have heard some SC not fixing issues where others have (for example, rear seat alignment), so it might be worth it after all.

I did not report it, but the issue was relayed to me (the SC advisor confused cases) and told me the crackling is a known issue and no fix has been identified at this point. He was going to mark it as known issue, no known solution and when a solution became available they would reach back out. Since I didn't report the issue at first, I asked what he was referring to (as I had another sound issue) and he corrected himself and apologized for the confusion. After it made sense, I asked to be notified when it was resolved in the future. So unless there are other issues you @NoICEallElec are having, it might be a waste of your time to take it in at this point.

That said, I have heard some SC not fixing issues where others have (for example, rear seat alignment), so it might be worth it after all.
They contacted me after the video I sent in and said that they “are aware of the issue” and have ordered new hub caps. They are now coming to me on Monday to install them. I’ll know right away if it fixes it and will let you know.

I pulled the wheel covers off today and there are scuffs on all of the wheels along the outside edge of the rim. Possibly from movement of the covers.
IMG_7459.JPG
IMG_7460.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung