Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19” or 21” for Plaid? Worried about ride and noise on the 21”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on what you prioritize. The ride on 19s is just soooo smooth. I have a MS20LR, took my 20s off to do a road trip, tempest, and I’m hesitating putting them back on. Nothing beats the 21s in looks, I went with 20s as a compromise between the two. No regrets and my tires lasted a good 25k miles.

19” or 21” for Plaid? Worried about ride and noise on the 21”​

Hi! So i ordered plaid S with 19” however having second thoughts since the 21” look so much damn better

Anyone have experience with a Plaid 19” vs 21”? Seems like people only choosing 21” =)
If you are worried about the ride quality and tire noise, get the 19" wheels.

If you want to improve the appearance of the 19" wheels, just remove the covers and run the exposed alloys... much better! ;)

2020 Tesla Model S Factory 19 Wheels.jpg
Tempest wheel cover.jpg

20" is the correct answer!

If you're considering the $4500 premium for 21" wheels, you have a lot of aftermarket options.
I'm looking for options that will be within the same price as the 21s. I ordered one with 21s but looking for some winter tire alternatives. I wonder if the Continental DSW06 with a 295-35 will fit under the shock tower. That would definitely give it an even better ride. Does any one know?

Just picked up my refreshed LR S with arachnid 21s. Ride is smooth and plush. They are using specially designed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S with T number on it that is supposed to improve ride quality over a standard pilot sport 4S. Air suspension with the 21s is perfect and they look way better than the 19s.

Agree that the ride on 21” wheels is actually quite smooth, and road noise is fairly quiet (most reviews seem to think the refresh cabin is notably quieter). Though I didn’t own a prior Model S and can’t compare. Ride is definitely much better than my Model X with 22’s.

My S LR order will come with 19". Get yourself a set of Signature Wheel in 20" or 21". Keep the 19" as spare or sell it to offset the new setup cost. The total cost would simialr from the cost of 21" arachnid and you will be getting fully forged wheels that only weight 22lb (vs 35lb arachnid)

Reactions: FlatSix911
My S LR order will come with 19". Get yourself a set of Signature Wheel in 20" or 21". Keep the 19" as spare or sell it to offset the new setup cost. The total cost would simialr from the cost of 21" arachnid and you will be getting fully forged wheels that only weight 22lb (vs 35lb arachnid)

The custom forged wheels are a much better option than the Tesla OEM cast arachnids... thanks for sharing.

I ordered the 21s but need to find alternatives tires for the white stuff. These are the best choice for tires that I'm finding: Click here. According to Discount Tires this configuration makes the diameter difference between front and rear .2". I would think the car can handle that with no problems. This slight difference can be accounted for by high speed cornering or other wear. I am therefore sticking with the 21s. My first choice is to see what becomes available for after market rims with a set of dedicated winter tires by the time November December comes and buy one of those. I can then consider a set of these as dedicated winter shoes. If nothing good comes around then I will buy the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season as an alternative tire for the Arachnids.

Thoughts and feedback are more than welcome.