Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" and 21" Tire Wear (informal) Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you hit it on the head, there's definitely a change in settings somewhere along the line during the builds.
Yeah, it's not camber, it's toe that's killing the rears for those who are experiencing it.

If "Chgd Up" can put 25k+ miles on a set of tires, even with aggressive driving you shouldn't see less than 10k unless you're tracking the car - with good toe-in settings.

Nope, that's what he quoted me, per tire, mounted & balanced.

From my experience, the service centers have some leeway with pricing. I was quoted a price of $375+ per tire including mount & balance. I told them I thought the price was out of line and and SA then referred to a different price sheet and quoted $205 for the tire and $75 per tire to mount and balance. I think the tire pricing is in line, however the labor to mount and balance isn't competitive with our local market.

I had an alignment done two weeks after the tires were replaced, however they didn't give me a printout just stated their printer had broken when I questioned them about why no printout. I was told a "minor adjustment" to the tow-in was done however I have no way of knowing what the factory settings were and if the toe-in was really out of whack. I took "minor" to mean just that. Tesla is going to do another alignment so I have a record of the base alignment settings. That's the short version of the story and why I think camber was the culprit to the fast inside tread wear.

Just checked the tread depths on my 19" OEM tires again.

4824km on them, no rotations yet.

7/32 on rear 9/32 on front

If the tire continues to wear linearly, the rears will be at 2/32 in ~8000km while the fronts should last for another ~33,700km. If I average those #'s I get ~20,900km. So for my driving style it appears I'll get 25,000km out of these.

Last edited:
updated
most are seeing good wear but the ones that are not are getting clobbered. There has got to be a reason.

I completely agree. My non-Performance Model S with 19's has only 5,800 miles. We were experiencing vibration at high speed and brought it in. They reported 3/32 of tread on the rear's and advised that we purchase two new tires. Very dissatisfied that I will probably have to spend $600 every six to nine months to replace tires.

Pacey,
There is such a wide disparity in wear that, when combined with fixed camber in the rear, there has to be a contributing factor apart from just camber. Tesla says its driving style. Some users have gotten 4-6k miles and a few of them have actually confirmed toe as the culprit. That would make sense as toe is the only thing that is adjustable in the rear of the car.

What is not clear is why toe was out. In Carrerascott's case, both sides were out. I'm sure it is possible to knock rear toe out (I've never done it) but I would think it is highly unlikely that anyone could knock both sides out the exact same amount in the same direction.

The question is why are some owners experiencing problems with rear alignment on brand new cars? This question assumes we have seen enough of a link between alignment and wear. I'm not sure we have just yet which is why I am hoping others post alignment data along with their wear horror stories.

Let me get this all straight. You are saying that you believe that the excessive tire wear is caused by an incorrect "toe" setting, and that it is correctable by a Service Center?

Camber is not considered a wearing alignment angle, however it will magnify any other alignment problem that exists. This becomes even more critical when the tire aspect ratio is very low. That's one reason why it's seen more frequently in 21" tires than in 19" tires , although both can show the symptoms. (Anyone count the instances and come up with a ratio?)

Current mileage: 9600
Rotated tires at: 4700
SN 1933 (December 2012)
21" Contis
Driving 75% moderate, 25% hard

Driver's front:
Outside 6/32
Middle 6/32
Inside 5/32

Passenger front:
Outside 6/32
Middle 6/32
Inside 5/32

Driver's rear:
Outside 6/32
Middle 7/32
Inside 5/32

Passenger rear:
Outside 5/32
Middle 6/32
Inside 5/32

4,500 miles toasted my rears to the pictures you see in the other threads.

Tesla picked up my car to put it on the rack and measure the rear suspension and hopefully I'll hear soon.

My car has previously been aligned by the service center, but it's unknown whether they did only front (as that's where the report was) or looked at all four wheels.

I've got the OEM 19s with a standard 85.

My car is in for the "annual" (ie 7 month) service and has 11,300 miles.

Just got a call that my rears are down to 3/32 and need to be replaced. SC quoted $600+ tax.

Whoa. WAY more wear than I was expecting. I don't think I'll be having Tesla do the work. Guess I've been showing this car to too many people and doing too many demos...

Time to start driving more conservatively. I'm not cool with replacing 2 tires every 11,500 miles, especially when I drive 90 miles a day for work.

Finally got around to using my recently purchased thread depth gauge

Driving style: Normal with periods of spirited driving

Mileage 2,300 on 85P+

Fronts: Identical wear passenger/driver: Outside 8.5/32; middle 8.5/32; inside 8.5/32

Rears: Identical wear passenger/driver: Outside 8/32; middle 8/32; inside 7/32

How many have the optional carbon fiber rear spoiler? The new one touts a lift reduction of 77%. This obviously increases downforce as well as TM has always said that having the spoiler reduced range. I'm just curious how much this might affect rear tire wear and thought it might be good to add it to the survey questions.

Cheers!

Jerry and Lola: Slight deviation from topic: If you go to TireRack and put in a Tesla Performance Plus..the tire they recommend as the 'replacement' all around is the Pirelli. If you try to order the factory Michelins you have to check off a box saying you understand this is not the recommended tire....Sales pitch?? When the time comes..what do you think of the Pirellis vs Michelin