Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19'' Continental ProContact RX vs Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: PS4S.....I'd be curious about mileage (Wh/mi) and tread life. I've gotten 45K+ miles from the MX4s.....

How have you gotten 45K+ out of the MXM4s? I remember from other posts of yours that you also have a LR RWD and 18" wheels without the Aeros. Do you never accelerate quickly and only drive on really well-maintained roads? What's your lifetime Wh/mi?

My MXM4s lasted barely 10K with "spirited" driving (new EV driver syndrome...). My regular commute includes a lot of rough winding surface streets with a lot of stop lights and stop signs. Straight-ahead freeway driving is only about 10% of what I do. I ended up around 250 Wh/mi with them.

I replaced them with the PS4Ss around 10K miles ago and have made it a point to accelerate with the flow of traffic and almost never floor it anymore. I'm getting worse efficiency (270 Wh/mi) with them compared to the MXM4s and having a lot less fun driving the car for fear of wearing the tires down too quickly. They are already more than half worn and I'll be lucky to get 15K out of them. At this rate, I'm replacing tires about every 1-1.5 years, which is kind of ridiculous.

I'm thinking of going back to the MXM4s again and seeing if I can get them to last longer now that the novelty of the instant torque has gone away. Also, I have a habit of letting the regen kick in abruptly instead of gently slowing and I think that may also be a big reason for the fast wear since I know it's not from jackrabbit starts anymore.

Same here. 15k miles on summer tires and it’s down to the wear bars. But I do have a lot of city driving with a lot of jackrabbit starts (can’t help it..)

Also about 250 avg, with stockers couple thousand miles, around 220 avg.

Curious to know what % mix of city/hwy driving for those with 30k+ miles out of tires...

Current rate, I’ll be testing all sorts of tire brands, lol

How have you gotten 45K+ out of the MXM4s? I remember from other posts of yours that you also have a LR RWD and 18" wheels without the Aeros. Do you never accelerate quickly and only drive on really well-maintained roads? What's your lifetime Wh/mi?

My MXM4s lasted barely 10K with "spirited" driving (new EV driver syndrome...). My regular commute includes a lot of rough winding surface streets with a lot of stop lights and stop signs. Straight-ahead freeway driving is only about 10% of what I do. I ended up around 250 Wh/mi with them.

I replaced them with the PS4Ss around 10K miles ago and have made it a point to accelerate with the flow of traffic and almost never floor it anymore. I'm getting worse efficiency (270 Wh/mi) with them compared to the MXM4s and having a lot less fun driving the car for fear of wearing the tires down too quickly. They are already more than half worn and I'll be lucky to get 15K out of them. At this rate, I'm replacing tires about every 1-1.5 years, which is kind of ridiculous.

I'm thinking of going back to the MXM4s again and seeing if I can get them to last longer now that the novelty of the instant torque has gone away. Also, I have a habit of letting the regen kick in abruptly instead of gently slowing and I think that may also be a big reason for the fast wear since I know it's not from jackrabbit starts anymore.
PS4S has 30k/6yr warranty, can't you claim some of the money back from the tire store? I know Costco honors the warranty if you purchase tires from them. It's prorated.

PS4S has 30k/6yr warranty, can't you claim some of the money back from the tire store? I know Costco honors the warranty if you purchase tires from them. It's prorated.

Yes, I'm aware. Michelin warranted the MXM4s, even though they were OEM. (Apparently most tire companies don't cover OEM installation, so I was glad to get anything out of it.) When the PS4Ss don't hit 30K, you can be sure I'm getting them to prorate the replacements. It's probably going to be at 15K, so I should get the cost of a couple of tires covered. In my area, Michelin makes you go to Discount Tire for warranty coverage, otherwise I'd use Costco for sure.

Same here. 15k miles on summer tires and it’s down to the wear bars. But I do have a lot of city driving with a lot of jackrabbit starts (can’t help it..)

Also about 250 avg, with stockers couple thousand miles, around 220 avg.

Curious to know what % mix of city/hwy driving for those with 30k+ miles out of tires...

Current rate, I’ll be testing all sorts of tire brands, lol

Yes, I didn't anticipate that doing a lot of stop-and-go city driving on rough roads was going to have this big of an impact on tire wear. It wasn't a problem in my previous ICE car that weighed 1000 lbs less than the Model 3. I floored that thing all the time, but coasted to a stop, unlike what I do with the regen in the Model 3.

I'd bet those getting the most mileage out of their tires have a predominantly highway/freeway commute with little speed variance.

Yes, I'm aware. Michelin warranted the MXM4s, even though they were OEM. (Apparently most tire companies don't cover OEM installation, so I was glad to get anything out of it.) When the PS4Ss don't hit 30K, you can be sure I'm getting them to prorate the replacements. It's probably going to be at 15K, so I should get the cost of a couple of tires covered. In my area, Michelin makes you go to Discount Tire for warranty coverage, otherwise I'd use Costco for sure.
Other than energy consumption difference, how about noise level? Are they different or about the same?
Yes, I didn't anticipate that doing a lot of stop-and-go city driving on rough roads was going to have this big of an impact on tire wear. It wasn't a problem in my previous ICE car that weighed 1000 lbs less than the Model 3. I floored that thing all the time, but coasted to a stop, unlike what I do with the regen in the Model 3.

I'd bet those getting the most mileage out of their tires have a predominantly highway/freeway commute with little speed variance.
SDKoala and 240w, how do you feel about the noise level, are both of you have non performance version? If so, how is the noise level of PS4S compared to MMX4? MJP.P3D- has performance version and doesn't feel much difference.

Other than energy consumption difference, how about noise level? Are they different or about the same?

SDKoala and 240w, how do you feel about the noise level, are both of you have non performance version? If so, how is the noise level of PS4S compared to MMX4? MJP.P3D- has performance version and doesn't feel much difference.

I remember not being able to tell any difference right after switching. I remember being worried about it since the MXM4s have the acoustic foam and the PS4Ss that I bought don't. If there is something objectively measurable with a Decibel meter, it's certainly not enough to bother me.

How have you gotten 45K+ out of the MXM4s? I remember from other posts of yours that you also have a LR RWD and 18" wheels without the Aeros. Do you never accelerate quickly and only drive on really well-maintained roads? What's your lifetime Wh/mi?...
Well, I did stop hammering it at every light once I saw the rears wearing faster than the fronts. Noticing that probably helped because it also taught me to rotate before things got too far off. While I do love me some Tesla launches, I don't need them everytime. Once I calmed down, I also didn't need as frequent rotations (probably rotated 3 times?) My commute is definitely 90% freeway though. My lifetime rate is sitting at 226 Wh/mi. I've got 46K on these and they aren't bald, but probably wouldn't perform well in heavy rain at this point. I'm probably being greedy by not changing them since I've got 4 identical (almost) new 18" tires and wheels stacked in the garage waiting to be swapped in... I'm just trying to maximize this first set. If our typically dry Southern California weather remains, I could probably complete my 50K bumper to bumper warranty on these.

Reactions: Matsayz
Well, I did stop hammering it at every light once I saw the rears wearing faster than the fronts. Noticing that probably helped because it also taught me to rotate before things got too far off. While I do love me some Tesla launches, I don't need them everytime. Once I calmed down, I also didn't need as frequent rotations (probably rotated 3 times?) My commute is definitely 90% freeway though. My lifetime rate is sitting at 226 Wh/mi. I've got 46K on these and they aren't bald, but probably wouldn't perform well in heavy rain at this point. I'm probably being greedy by not changing them since I've got 4 identical (almost) new 18" tires and wheels stacked in the garage waiting to be swapped in... I'm just trying to maximize this first set. If our typically dry Southern California weather remains, I could probably complete my 50K bumper to bumper warranty on these.

Amazing to see the difference between non-stop freeway driving versus constant stop-and-go on surface streets. Aggressive launches/acceleration get a lot of attention, but it would make sense that aggressive slowing/regeneration would be a big part of tire wear too.

Amazing to see the difference between non-stop freeway driving versus constant stop-and-go on surface streets. Aggressive launches/acceleration get a lot of attention, but it would make sense that aggressive slowing/regeneration would be a big part of tire wear too.
While the RWD has the unique ability to wear down rear tires much quicker than the fronts by performing both acceleration AND regen braking ONLY on the rear tires, I don't think the regen braking, in general, is measurably worse on tires than friction brakes.

While the RWD has the unique ability to wear down rear tires much quicker than the fronts by performing both acceleration AND regen braking ONLY on the rear tires, I don't think the regen braking, in general, is measurably worse on tires than friction brakes.

I've yet to see a good explanation on why Regen would wear tires faster, perhaps you know? In my simple minded explanation, it's the rear motor which slows the axles which slows the wheels. Unless Regen is locking up the brakes, why would quick Regen wear out tires? (assuming a straight line and not Regen-ning into a hard turn.)

I've yet to see a good explanation on why Regen would wear tires faster, perhaps you know? In my simple minded explanation, it's the rear motor which slows the axles which slows the wheels. Unless Regen is locking up the brakes, why would quick Regen wear out tires? (assuming a straight line and not Regen-ning into a hard turn.)
I can tell you why RWD will wear the rear tires quicker than ICE or AWD....
Let's get the most common misconception out of the way....the friction in your brakes doesn't diminish a significant amount of kinetic energy of our vehicle, that is done with your tires! When you decelerate your car, whether you are using friction brakes OR regenerative brakes, you create a resistance or anti-torque to what the wheel wants to do (keep rolling). That results in slowing the vehicle ONLY because of the friction between the tire and the road. Case in point, your brakes don't slow you very well on an ice lake, right? Now, with the RWD Tesla's, the front wheels are free-wheeling during regenerative braking and therefore do not offer any friction (or wear!), the rear wheels do all the work and wear. This is particularly different when compared to an ICE vehicle, because of the vehicle dynamics during braking shifts the weight to the front of the car and the "fronts" usually do most of the braking. So on the RWD Tesla's, the rear tires do all the acceleration and regen deceleration leaving the fronts to just steering and, therefore, the rears can wear unevenly because of this.