Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini Summer Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2020 Long Range Model Y's OEM All Season Contis are near the end after two years and 20,000 miles. I managed to snag a set of new 19" Geminis with Pirelli Winter Tires so we'll be using those for future winter driving, should make things nicer for ski resorts and storms. Yeah, I could have bought 20" rims and saved the existing 19" rims for the winter, but I live in Jersey and not having low profile tires (like on the BMWs we had... ouch!) meant that for the first time in 15 years, we have two cars that wore out their tires instead of blowing them apart in potholes plus our kidneys thank us. That's a delight.Now the problem... Tire Rack only has two PILOT SPORT 4s in 255/45R19 size with acoustic foam technology. They have Pirellis, but my understanding is that the Michelins are the better tire in both wear and performance (previous experience with BMWs confirms this historically) although they do have PS4s without the foam. The other thing that bothers me is that I saw this Reddit post about the all season Michelins being too small for the rims... Anybody out there run on the 19" Pilot Sport 4s?

And anybody know where to get ones with the foam?

I'm running pilot sport 4 (not 4s) on t sports line 19 inch which I'm pretty sure are identical to Gemini. They fit and are amazing for summer tires. Amazing traction on the road and shockingly well in heavy rain. It's made the car very fun to drive. Highly recommend.

I did the same thing you did... stock 19 all seasons, bought a set of 19 winters, too.

Once the all seasons wear out, I'm going to go with summer tires, not sure which ones yet... foam is on the table, but not a requirement for me. I will get a well established name brand though.

I’m not sure it matters that much either. It’s my wife’s car though and she liked the quiet although I do drive it 40% of the time and safety always matters. Wonder if anybody has done any tests about the sound levels.

Also, if you have a nail in your tire and it has the foam, you run into this: "Oh, you have one of those special Tesla tires. We can't repair it. We can only replace it with a new one". I ran into this with a flat tire and 470 miles on my brand new Model Y. I did finally find a local Goodyear store who would patch it. Those guys were great.

My next set of tires won't have foam. It's just a thin layer on back of the tread. It complicates everything and really doesn't make much difference.

Last edited: