Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini vs 20" Induction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those look good to me...maybe this is the better option for me instead of the inductions. Too bad they aren't the same color as the Model 3 to begin with. I also like the model 3 wheel covers better.
I almost went with inductions, but living in New England and them being 20s and lower profile turned me off of them. Imo the Geminis in black and without the covers look better than the inductions, plus getting them powdercoated cost about 1/4 the price of a set of inductions.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
I'm currently going through the same decision of choosing between Gemini and Induction. Through some (mostly unvalidated) reaserch i've found that, while most folks (arguably correctly) disucss the pros/cons of the rims with Gemini and Induction. The actual tire is not cosidered or discussed.

The Gemini 19″ Model Y tires are the Continental ProContact RX. On the TireRack site they only get a user recommendation of just 3.8 out of 10. The Induction 20″ Model Y tires are the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season. On the TireRack site they get a user recommendation of 7.8 out of 10.

With weighing this in, i'm surely going the induction route. My 2 cents, hope this helps someone.

I'm currently going through the same decision of choosing between Gemini and Induction. Through some (mostly unvalidated) reaserch i've found that, while most folks (arguably correctly) disucss the pros/cons of the rims with Gemini and Induction. The actual tire is not cosidered or discussed.

The Gemini 19″ Model Y tires are the Continental ProContact RX. On the TireRack site they only get a user recommendation of just 3.8 out of 10. The Induction 20″ Model Y tires are the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season. On the TireRack site they get a user recommendation of 7.8 out of 10.

With weighing this in, i'm surely going the induction route. My 2 cents, hope this helps someone.

@WiAdd yes the tire is an important consideration as well. I'm not sure about the induction pricing in the US, think it's $2000 USD, right? For that, you could probably get a very nice set of aftermarket rims of your choosing and a set of tires (the Quatrac Pros are very popular with TMC and available in both the 255/45-19 and 255/40-20 sizes IIRC), and still have your original Gemini & tires that you could look to sell, or just sell the tires and pick up a set of winter tires later in the year to use on the Geminis. On the other hand, ordering the Induction wheels instead is certainly less hassle, and if you don't have somewhere to store a spare set then it's definitely a better route. Or, if you love the look.

Reactions: Rocketir

The main difference appears to be winter performance, the Conti getting 'poor' while the Goodyears get 'good'. That's enough to swing the overall ratings, it appears. So if you live somewhere with no or minimal snow, it might make sense to disregard that section of the ratings. I'm very happy with the ride and handling of my Contis so far. I haven't had them in winter so can't comment on that yet.

The main difference appears to be winter performance, the Conti getting 'poor' while the Goodyears get 'good'. That's enough to swing the overall ratings, it appears. So if you live somewhere with no or minimal snow, it might make sense to disregard that section of the ratings. I'm very happy with the ride and handling of my Contis so far. I haven't had them in winter so can't comment on that yet.

@DanDi58 I suspect that those in snowy environments would probably still want to pick up winter tires. I remember watching a video from Bearded Tesla Guy a while back where he took a short road trip to pick up a dog his family was adopting, and it was through a snow storm and definitely indicated the stock tires (he has the Inductions with the Goodyear tires) were awful on that trip. But yes, for light snow, they are likely better than the Contis.

Looks like @WiAdd is in Seattle, just down the I5 from us in Vancouver BC, and we get similar weather. Most winters are mostly wet (sooo wet), with small amounts of snow; however, every few years or so we do get an uncharacteristic amount of snow. I'm not sure if it's as bad in Seattle, but here in Vancouver both the cities and the drivers are definitely under-prepared since it's more of a rare occurrence, and it wreaks havoc when it happens.

EDIT: here's what I was talking about with Bearded Tesla Guy. Should start at 7:12 into the video, but if it doesn't, fast forward to there:

EDIT 2: he goes into more detail later in the video that his tires have a ton of miles and are very worn, so this is probably NOT a fair assessment. Hopefully when newer, the Goodyears do much better!

Last edited:

save the money and buy new tires for the 19?

Just posted a thread for an alternative to these 2 options : 20 inch Uberturbine's on MY (from M3P, NOT the MYP staggered version)

Attachments

• IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 576
I almost went with inductions, but living in New England and them being 20s and lower profile turned me off of them. Imo the Geminis in black and without the covers look better than the inductions, plus getting them powdercoated cost about 1/4 the price of a set of inductions.

I decided to get the Geminis because I just didn't think I would care that much once I got the car and couldn't justify paying more to get potentially less comfort and range, etc. I still think the inductions look marginally better and I've thought about getting those stick on covers for the silver portions of the Geminis; but, honestly I barely think about the wheels much anymore and have yet to regret not adding them to my order. 🤷‍♀️

I'm going to have 20" wheels on my Model Y, that's a given. What I've been going back & forth on lately were these options:

- Order the 19" Gemini wheels and sell the complete set, since I'll buy a complete set of 20" wheels & tires (w/ TPMS).
- Order the 20" Induction wheels and buy 20" wheels and just swap over the tires & TPMS, and then sell the Induction rims.
- Order the 20" Induction wheels and just stick with that.... but this is too boring for me

I'm leaning towards the first option for 2 reasons.... one, I can select the tires that I want to run from the get go, and two, the overall cost will be slightly less if I sell a complete set of brand new Gemini wheels & tires w/ sensors, than buying just the wheels and selling the 20" Induction wheels.

Get the geminis and powder coat them black for $400 and save $1600. Can’t tell the difference when the wheel is spinning lol
Bare Gemini rims will be unremarkable and boring looking regardless what you do to jazz them up. IMO, painting them is like putting lipstick on a pig. I ordered Gemini wheels on my white MYLR because the consensus is they ride better and are less prone to damage. I've driven on them. They look better with stock hubcap than any customizations I've seen. Don't like black induction wheels on a white MY but would consider them on a blue or red MY.

Last edited:
I purchased 2021 LR White with Induction wheels.. I tested drive both Gemini and Induction wheels. The Gemini is a little smoother ride than the Induction but the Induction has better handling by far. The Induction wheels have better tires than the Gemini. The black induction wheels look much nicer with my white MY. The range of the Induction may be a little less because of the size, but I could do a comparison between the two. As far I know I am very happy with the Induction wheels for handling and the look. I will try to avoid parallel parking.

Just curious, how much do the "20 cost when bought separately? On the tesla shop, the *winter* 20" wheel set is $4,500, which is much higher than the $2,000 extra you need to pay when ordering the car. I don't think it's explained by winter tires being more expensive than summer ones, at least not to the extent of being more than twice as expensive
I saw the video as well, it was by bearded Tesla guy. It was an aftermarket shop and there was a set for $2500 including tires. I think. So for $500 more you have two sets of wheels instead of paying 2K for induction and only having one set of wheels. So the key would be finding these aftermarket wheels I guess?

I went a different route. Ordered the car with Geminis and will sell as soon as the ceramic coat dries on my aftermarket rims and I can mount tires and balance. New wheels will be lighter than the 20" inductions, look better IMHO, and have better rubber Michelin Pilot Sport AS-4. New wheelset ran about $4,200 with tires and TPMS and should recoup roughly $1,500 when I sell the Geminis complete.

Attachments

• IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 224
I went a different route. Ordered the car with Geminis and will sell as soon as the ceramic coat dries on my aftermarket rims and I can mount tires and balance. New wheels will be lighter than the 20" inductions, look better IMHO, and have better rubber Michelin Pilot Sport AS-4. New wheelset ran about $4,200 with tires and TPMS and should recoup roughly $1,500 when I sell the Geminis complete.
I think I will do that too. Those look amazing.