TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

19 - Inch "Foamed" Tire Searchers Rejoice

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Camera-Cruiser, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

Ok, the title is over the top, but it finally looks like you can actually order 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring tires with the sound deadening foam installed by the manufacturer! These were hard to find, and now they show up at Tirerack. It says TO Tesla, SoundComfort Tech right in the listing.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?&tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Touring&partnum=445WR9ETSCT&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+S&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=85&vehicleSearch=true

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.56.32 PM.png

These have been available for those with 21" wheels from Continental (as ContiSilent) but there was no 19" equivalent until now.

As many know, this is pretty much the last best thing you can do to lessen transmitted road noise to your cabin before ripping your car's interior apart to install Dynamat, or other types of mass loaded vinyl.

Now I just have to wear out my current set.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. 1tsla

1tsla Member

I didn't even know they were special tires with sound deadening tech. No wonder it's so quiet. :)

3. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

One of the auto magazines just did a comparison of these sound deadening tires on a tesla and found they made no perceptible difference. Their test was quite thorough.

• Like x 2
  4. 1tsla

1tsla Member

So maybe the car is so quiet bc it's electric huh. lol.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

aren't those tires impossible to make repairs on?

6. Camera-Cruiser

Which magazine? That would be a bummer, but save me some coin on tires to specifically reduce noise. Then onto mass loaded vinyl of some sort to kill road noise transmission.

7. Camera-Cruiser

No, from what I have read you just cut away the foam, do a regular patch, rebalance and you are good to go.

I read this on the Internet, so it must be true. Same for the tires being quieter, or not quieter.

Just like last nights debate.

8. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

#8 PhatCat, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    • Informative x 1
  9. Camera-Cruiser

Thanks for the link. Bummer about the results for the ContiSilent. It would be great to see/hear some more tests and comparisons.

10. XJ9000

XJ9000 Member

Maybe this is right and there is no difference, but I'd like to see a spectrum analysis. The road noise is heavily weighted to lower frequencies, so perhaps these tires could improve the noise level at higher frequencies where the ear is more sensitive?

11. No2DinosaurFuel

check out this thread I started. It has some good information. Best 19 tires replacement

I am switching to the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus once my Goodyear wears out.

Supposedly the best for most case uses except performance. But I am not a big performance guy anyways.

• Informative x 1
  12. JPP

JPP Active Member

This tire is now the standard OEM tire that TM ships with new Model S and 19" wheels.

13. Skione65

Skione65 Member

Do you think this is just the usual "marketing" then? Based on the test results and 'no perceptible difference'? Would be nice to hear the results of some real world testing by Tesla Owers to see if these really stack up.

Ski

14. Camera-Cruiser

Hard to know until we get more info. If it's marketing, then they are doing a terrible job. I have not read to much about this, other than on these forums, and the manufactures are not rolling it out in any large media campaigns, at least none that I have seen.

Who knows, I thought these were really going to offer some big improvement in transmitted noise. I'd buy them now if there was demonstrable proof of improvement.