Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" spare in frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a full 19" spare tire in their frunk? The service guy said it will fit but barely and will be very very difficult to get in and out. And even went as far as to say it wasn't worth my time. We live on a 3 mike gravel road it's well maintained but still it's a long way in to not have a spare tire.

If you use this method, don't keep the spare in the frunk except on trips. A totally deflated tire is prone to damage from rubbing (think vibrations). When not in the trunk inflate to 8 or 10 psi and store horizontally off the floor, out of the sun, and away from any ozone sources.

Does anyone have a full 19" spare tire in their frunk? The service guy said it will fit but barely and will be very very difficult to get in and out. And even went as far as to say it wasn't worth my time. We live on a 3 mike gravel road it's well maintained but still it's a long way in to not have a spare tire.

Has anybody considered changing to RFT (run flat tires)? Unless there is a potential of performance degradation, it will eliminate the need for a spare.

Has anybody considered changing to RFT (run flat tires)? Unless there is a potential of performance degradation, it will eliminate the need for a spare.
You'll still need a spare. Run-flats are only good for punctures. They won't help with pothole damage. Also rolling resistance and ride comfort are substandard.

I'd think that a collapsible spare, like Porsche and Mercedes use, would be a much better option. I know that one ships with the Cayenne, though quick research suggests that its inflated diameter is too large for the Model S.

A well-worn fully inflated tire can be jammed in the frunk without being deflated, but it will bend the plastic below the latch a bit (we did this for the BC2BC Rally). I think the biggest problem is that you greatly compromise your frontal crumple zone in a crash situation. You'll also need a small hydraulic jack, a torque wrench capable of tightening the bolts to 130 ft-lbs, and a lug nut socket (I think the size is 14x1.5. A standard 21mm or 22 mm socket could be probably be used in a pinch).