TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

19" spare tire

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by napabill, Mar 25, 2016.

1. napabill

napabill Active Member

I'm doing a cross country trip with a buddy who has a MS with a 19" spare tire. Would that work in a pinch on my X with 20" tires? Would use like the donut tires found on my ICE cars. Just enough range to get to the nearest Service Center.

2. napabill

napabill Active Member

Bump. Anyone have an opinion on this?

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Maybe with a different tire on it. The circumference of the S tires are not the same as the X tires.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

You need to check the RPMs of the tire (not the diameter) to ensure that it's the same. As Goneskiian says, they are different from the S. Also you'll need to check the brake clearance. The 19" wheel may not even go on.

• Like x 1
  5. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Thanks for clarifying jerry33.

I have a suspicion the brakes are the same on the S and the X.

6. roblab

roblab Active Member

I'm doing a wild west tour out to Grand Canyon, Phoenix, Denver, Mt. Rushmore, Idaho, Oregon, Nevada and home. I have driven about 100,000 miles in my S and never had a flat. I carry the "Can o' Air and Stuff" that they give you for a slow leak (which is by far more likely than any blowout) and you get a warning if any tire gets down below 30 lb. Often a plug is all you need (K-mart, Walmart, Target automotive dept.)

Personally, I wouldn't haul one around, because the chances of using it are a little less than nil.

Of course, if you insist on driving over sharp rocks....

7. napabill

napabill Active Member

Rushmore? You going to the Sounds of Silence Rally in May at Custer?

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

@napabill
    Hadn't heard of it, hadn't planned it in. DANG. Would be fun. Ah, there will be other things.

9. jcobb

jcobb Member

I keep a plug kit and small compressor in the car at all times. I can easily plug a flat and be on my way. I figure if the sidewall is damaged in the process something major has happened and roadside service will be needed anyway. Tesla sells a road side repair kit for $50 which is a more expensive can of fix-a-flat but it can get you to the nearest service center without taking up a lot of space.

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Are plug kits that hard to use? I've never tried to plug my own tire before. No, I haven't googled it, or looked for "how to" videos on youtube yet. Yes, I will go do that now. ;)