Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" stock tire life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update. I replaced my 25k miles Goodyear Eagle RS2 tires with Cinturato P7. The P7 speed rating is one notch lower than the RS2, and you can tell the difference. I'm not spinning out or anything, but when you push it, the P7 will slightly lose traction, and I never lost traction with the RS2 ( until they were bald). If I had to do it over again, I'd stick with the much cheaper, but higher performance RS2.

Initially the alignment was very poor because the same settings were used on air and coil cars. This resulted in the air cars being wildly out of alignment when in the low suspension position. I believe this is now corrected--and the Service Centres appear to have the correct alignment for those older cars. Air suspension in and of itself doesn't harm tire life.

I don't disagree with above. But for others, it may be useful to point out that with the air suspension in low, even properly adjusted the rear camber is still VERY negative, and will cause greater wear on the inside of the rear tires. There is no camber adjustment for the rear, so even with a good alignment (and even one done for a low setting), the problem will remain for the rear tires. The obvious solution is to not run in low so often. Even in Standard height (air) or Coil suspension, there's still a lot of negative rear camber. The air suspension can actually help prolong tire life if you run the car in high sometimes, so that the tire doesn't run on the inside of the tires as much. However, the negative rear camber improves cornering handling (which is why Tesla designed it this way), so driving in high should be done with caution and as recommended by Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

my stock 19" goodyear's lasted 48k miles before they were down to 4/32"

Good job...that's some great mileage. How do you run your air suspension? Have you just been doing standard rotations, or have you dismounted the tires and moved them across to help alleviate wear on the inside edge?

Air cars sit ~.55" lower than coil cars thus carrying more tire eating camber on the RWD classics. It does appear (but I haven't measured) that the D coil cars are now as low as the air cars at standard height.

I read on the specs on Tesla's site, coils are exactly the same height as airs. Except airs have a play of plus minus 0.8".
Does this mean coils will have the same tire wear characteristics as airs on the new D's?
Also, do you feel the D's will be easier on the tires?
Also, do you feel the 70D being slightly lighter and lesser hp will be easier on tires?

@Cosmacelf

Do you have air or coil suspension?

I'm interested in changing my Primacies to the Cinturato P7s to get improved ride quality. I assume with the lower speed rating, the Cinturato sidewalls would not be as stiff as the Primacies, and would better absorb road imperfections, leading to a smoother ride. I tend to feel most road imperfections and bumps in my current set up (S85, coil with factory Primacies). I don't have a heavy foot, and therefore would favor ride quality over performance.

Any feedback in that regard is greatly appreciated.

Does this mean coils will have the same tire wear characteristics as airs on the new D's?
Also, do you feel the D's will be easier on the tires?
Also, do you feel the 70D being slightly lighter and lesser hp will be easier on tires?

i don't own a D so I am just speculating here:

most likely
spreading the power and re-gen to four tires should help
dobtful, I feel it's more a function of alignment, tire pressure, rotation strategy (not frequency), and more importantly driving style

wodering if Tesla lowered the coil Ds to the same height as the airs so they can simplify/standardize/tighten alignment specs across the board

Quick update. I replaced my 25k miles Goodyear Eagle RS2 tires with Cinturato P7. The P7 speed rating is one notch lower than the RS2, and you can tell the difference. I'm not spinning out or anything, but when you push it, the P7 will slightly lose traction, and I never lost traction with the RS2 ( until they were bald). If I had to do it over again, I'd stick with the much cheaper, but higher performance RS2.

Same here.

Having driven EVs for about 15 years, which has nothing to do with it, I have replaced tires every 20-25K miles on any car I have owned. My friend drives the same car, same tires, and gets over 50K miles. Is it the tires? Is it driving style, hotrodding, creeping?

Obviously not.

The difference is that he lives in a flat town and near the freeway. Very few turns, very few stoplights: Just normal accel and decel. 50+K miles.

I, on the other hand, live up a mountain, 30 miles from a freeway, through a couple towns with lights and average wacko traffic. Lots of curves, driving up hill or doing regen down, stops, speeding up, sudden stops, curves, signals, trucks pulling out into traffic. But mostly curves and hills. 25Kmiles.

I guess there might be something to one tire brand getting slightly better miles than another, but you know, they have road wear numbers on the side of the tire that are supposed to mean something.

I think it's where you live, and NO one in this thread has mentioned that.

Reactions: Bennny
Having driven EVs for about 15 years, which has nothing to do with it, I have replaced tires every 20-25K miles on any car I have owned. My friend drives the same car, same tires, and gets over 50K miles. Is it the tires? Is it driving style, hotrodding, creeping?

I think it's where you live, and NO one in this thread has mentioned that.

Yup, my mountain dwelling friends get absolutely atrocious tire life.

It depends on how aggressively you drive, if you rotate tires frequently, alignment, and if you have air suspension (if yes, less life for the tires). My experience is that Tesla is very aggressive in suggesting to replace tires early -- it does help make the car safer, I guess. Folks have had reported lifespans with the 19 inch tires of 15k to 49k. My experience has been 18-22k (I have 64k miles on my car). If you looking at the stock Goodyears, take a look at tirerack and discount tires: they have had them for $100 each usually.

I have heard about short tread life and thought I would chime in. I have a 2014 MS85 with 19" wheels and air suspension. I drive a bit more spirited than most, but not terribly. With 28,000 miles and 15 months on the original set of Michelin tires, I was expecting another 4-5,000 miles...but ran over some kind of spike at the Ivanpah Solar Plant, a diversion while on the way to Vegas. I used the pump and goop to get to the Tesla service center in Vegas. Tesla does not plug tires, so I bought two new ones.

Net-net: I suggest that my setup should give almost any normal driver 25-30,000 miles. Not too bad..and not too different from other cars.

Reactions: Gt1948
I have heard about short tread life and thought I would chime in. I have a 2014 MS85 with 19" wheels and air suspension. I drive a bit more spirited than most, but not terribly. With 28,000 miles and 15 months on the original set of Michelin tires, I was expecting another 4-5,000 miles...but ran over some kind of spike at the Ivanpah Solar Plant, a diversion while on the way to Vegas. I used the pump and goop to get to the Tesla service center in Vegas. Tesla does not plug tires, so I bought two new ones.

Net-net: I suggest that my setup should give almost any normal driver 25-30,000 miles. Not too bad..and not too different from other cars.

And at 60,000 miles, I just got another set of tires. The tires could probably have gone another 4-5,000 miles, but with a planned long trip coming up, I did not what to risk a tire failure. So: Confirming 25-30,000 miles on a set of tires should be no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gt1948