Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Tire options: Continental vs Michelin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rjpjnk

Mar 12, 2021
NJ
Greetings fellow Model Y drivers!

My 2021 Model y original tires are pretty much shot at 21K miles (Continental). I've never experienced a set of tires wearing out so fast, though I've reading it's pretty common with these cars. I was hoping to make it through the winter but it doesn't seem possible.

I have always been a fan of Michelin and was going to buy a set of Pilot Sport A/S 4, but have been hearing good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+ lately. Tire Rack rates the Contis #1 and the Michelins #2. Both are excellent.

With Michelin's rebate at Costco now they are about the same price. So... which to buy.

I am hoping to get some inputs from people who have owned one or both of these tires and what your thoughts were. We have moderate snow/ice so some degree of winter performance is necessary, but not dedicated snows. Grip (wet and dry) and longevity are most important, noise is probably second.

I must admit I am a little concerned about buying Continentals given how fast the OEMs wore out. I am hoping they were not characteristic of Continental products. I may have been driving a little too spirited as it's just too much fun playing with instant torque. I plan to tone it down a notch on the new set.

Thanks for any help.

From Tire Rack
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 11.09.33 PM.png

I think both Continental and Michelin are a great tire. I have owned many of both over the years. The OE tires have acoustic foam inside and are LRR to maximize range. The OE tires on my LR still had close to 7/32nd tread left at 25k.

One of the biggest factors for the tire wear is the weight of the vehicle. The tires will wear faster because of that. The other factors are road surfaces, driving style, temperature, infation pressure, etc.

I just ordered a set of 19” TSPORTLINE for my MYP and I went with the OE procontact Rx.

If they wore out at 21k you should contact continental about the treadwear warranty. They may reimburse you for a portion of the OE tires to help offset the cost of the new ones.

Reactions: rjpjnk
…If they wore out at 21k you should contact continental about the treadwear warranty. They may reimburse you for a portion of the OE tires to help offset the cost of the new ones.
I did some searching online a month ago for this very thing and I found that there is no tread wear warranty at all for the OEM tires. I don’t remember if that was on continental’s site or Tesla’s. I guess it can’t hurt to contact continental though to confirm.

Yeah, Teslas are heavy cars, with a ton of instant torque so they tend to eat tires faster than "normal" cars.

Both the Conti and the Michelin are excellent. There's rumors of folks like Goodyear and others coming with EV-optimized tires, but supplies don't seem to have materialized yet. Tire design can change the range efficiency a few percent which some folks are passionate about.

Reactions: A2be and rjpjnk
I did some searching online a month ago for this very thing and I found that there is no tread wear warranty at all for the OEM tires. I don’t remember if that was on continental’s site or Tesla’s. I guess it can’t hurt to contact continental though to confirm.
Here is what I found on tire rack. OE michelins on my Bolt EV we’re honored under the treadwear warranty from Michelin. They may require proof you had them rotated.

In staggered setup most tire makers half the warranty for rear tires. I know Michelin does that too but of course that doesn’t apply to your situation.

• Treadwear: 6 Years / 55K Miles H-Rated, 45K V-Rated (1) 6 Years / 40K Miles W-Rated (1) Half mileage for rear if different size than front

Reactions: rjpjnk
Here is what I found on tire rack. OE michelins on my Bolt EV we’re honored under the treadwear warranty from Michelin. They may require proof you had them rotated.
Wow, you were right! I called Continental and explained the situation and they said that although they offer no treadwear warranty on OEM tires they would be willing to give me a discount on a new set if I took my car to an approved tire shop to be inspected. I did that yesterday, and they measured 4/32" all around (I have 20,995 miles on them). The shop called Continental, and they offered me 50% off a new set of ExtremeContact DWS 06+. I never expected such a great offer and of course I said yes. Very impressed with Continental!

Thanks 240v for the suggestion.

One of the biggest factors for the tire wear is the weight of the vehicle. The tires will wear faster because of that. The other factors are road surfaces, driving style, temperature, infation pressure, etc.
Driving style plays a big roll - teslas (and EVs in general) hade a ton of torque. When people get a new Tesla they tend to have fun with the acceleration, leading to faster tire wear.

Wow, you were right! I called Continental and explained the situation and they said that although they offer no treadwear warranty on OEM tires they would be willing to give me a discount on a new set if I took my car to an approved tire shop to be inspected. I did that yesterday, and they measured 4/32" all around (I have 20,995 miles on them). The shop called Continental, and they offered me 50% off a new set of ExtremeContact DWS 06+. I never expected such a great offer and of course I said yes. Very impressed with Continental!

Thanks 240v for the suggestion.
Awesome glad it worked out! 50% off is a decent chunk of change. Good for you! Don’t forget to post pics of your new tires and tell us how you like them. I hear a lot of good things about the DWS06. Enjoy!

Replaced the OEM Continentals with a set of Continental 255/45 R19 Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus installed on Monday. Drove 1100 miles this week. Wh/mi has gone from 270 to 300-330 in the mornings. Temperature could be a reason for change because temperature is 20 degrees cooler in the mornings.Round trips of 225-230 miles is resulting in a wh/mi of 290-300. Before the same round trip was 255-270. Driving the same routes and doing the same speed.

I went with aftermarket 19s but with the OE Continental Pro Contact RX. I hoped to have efficiency numbers by now but I have a bad driveline vibration. It’s either axles or hub assembly. Taking it back for try number 3 at Tesla service this week.

They are all good tires though. I have always been happy with Michelins. I have heard a lot of folks praising the DSW06. I was also happy with the factory Conti on my 21 LR after 25,000 miles.

Not to sideline the discussion but, if one owns the MYP and they replace the tires with a set that have a tread warrantee. Due to the fact that the vehicle takes two different size tires, they can't be rotated properly. Does this void the warrantee? Can the tires be "rotated" laterally and this meet the rotation requirement for the warrantee?

Long story short I don't want to be replacing 21" tires every 15k and may just order some 19" rims from Tsportline.

Many factors go into treadwear of course. Yes having to replace them at 33,000 is not uncommon from what I hear. Mine still had 6/32 left at 25,000.

I have had the tire maker (Michelin) honor the treadwear warranty on OE tires. The tires still have a guarantee even if they were installed from factory.

I was told you can’t rotate a staggered set on the MYP by service. I don’t see why you couldn’t rotate sides. Tires are not directional.

Treadwear warranty is halved on the rears when in staggered setup. In the case of the OE Michelin AS on MYP the rears get 22,500 treadwear warranty while the fronts get 45,000.

Reactions: MrPeanutHead