Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Tire options: Continental vs Michelin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replaced the OEM Continentals with a set of Continental 255/45 R19 Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus installed on Monday. Drove 1100 miles this week. Wh/mi has gone from 270 to 300-330 in the mornings. Temperature could be a reason for change because temperature is 20 degrees cooler in the mornings.Round trips of 225-230 miles is resulting in a wh/mi of 290-300. Before the same round trip was 255-270. Driving the same routes and doing the same speed.
I just did the exact same thing. On my 2021 MYLR I replaced the OEM Continentals with Extreme Contact DWS06+ 3 days ago. I will keep you posted on my wh/mile change. I had 21K miles on the OEM tires and the wh/mi over this period was 270, exactly like yours. So far I have only about 30 miles on the DWS06+ and am at 280 wh/mi.

The main reason I went with Continental again is because Continental offered me 50% off since my OEM tires were worn out after only 21K miles.

2021 MYLR, 19" Gemini, now at 34,000 miles.
OEM ContiProContacts, lasted 31k miles, lifetime 287Wh/mi.

Replaced with Mich PilotSport 4s, now have about 3k miles on them. Road trip, Fort Worth-Denver, 1700 miles R/T, 332 Wh/mi, traveling 75-80mph, minimal wind issues, 44PSI.

Once again, I proved to myself that RANGE JUST ISN"T AN ISSUE, as the Superchargers are perfectly placed for a power nap/toilet/food/leg stretch, every 120-150 miles. This is why I'll continue to travel at 75-80mph. Yes, the trip takes longer than traveling 450-500 miles in an ICE between fuel stops, but I always arrive at my destination much more refreshed.

YMMV

What were your OEM tire depth measurements when you had them replaced (eg. 4/32)? Did you process the warranty measurement and replacement at Discount Tire?
They were all 4/32. I called Continental and explained that they seemed awfully worn for only 20k. They explained there is *no* mileage warranty for oem tires but they agreed it was excessive and would consider offering a discount on new tires. They told me where to go based on my zip code. The shop did all the measurements and contacted continental , who then agreed to 50% off a new set of 4 of any tire they make. I chose the EC DWS06+

The shop was not discount tire.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
I have 47,295 miles on my OEM Continental tires. I'm down to 3/32 so definitely need to replace them. I have a M3 LR rear wheel drive and rotate them about every 8K miles. I am going with the original tires given the great mileage I have gotten off mine. I would be greatly disappointed if I had only gotten mileage in the mid 20s.

I just did the exact same thing. On my 2021 MYLR I replaced the OEM Continentals with Extreme Contact DWS06+ 3 days ago. I will keep you posted on my wh/mile change. I had 21K miles on the OEM tires and the wh/mi over this period was 270, exactly like yours. So far I have only about 30 miles on the DWS06+ and am at 280 wh/mi.
So after about 650 miles now I am at 295 wh/mi on the DWS06+ whereas my average over 21k miles on the OEM Continentals was 270 wh/mi. So definitely appears to be more rolling resistance with the new tires. But it is also colder now, so that may be a factor.

Reactions: Pacernow
Temps here in the DFW region have finally allowed me to drive w/o the energy drain of AC. Efficiency has improved dramatically, hovering around 270Wh/mi. I guess before I dismiss the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 tires as horribly inefficient, I should wait until the car has been driven through a range of temps. I've only driven in 90f temps with the Michelins!

Greetings fellow Model Y drivers!

My 2021 Model y original tires are pretty much shot at 21K miles (Continental). I've never experienced a set of tires wearing out so fast, though I've reading it's pretty common with these cars. I was hoping to make it through the winter but it doesn't seem possible.

I have always been a fan of Michelin and was going to buy a set of Pilot Sport A/S 4, but have been hearing good things about the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06+ lately. Tire Rack rates the Contis #1 and the Michelins #2. Both are excellent.

With Michelin's rebate at Costco now they are about the same price. So... which to buy.

I am hoping to get some inputs from people who have owned one or both of these tires and what your thoughts were. We have moderate snow/ice so some degree of winter performance is necessary, but not dedicated snows. Grip (wet and dry) and longevity are most important, noise is probably second.

I must admit I am a little concerned about buying Continentals given how fast the OEMs wore out. I am hoping they were not characteristic of Continental products. I may have been driving a little too spirited as it's just too much fun playing with instant torque. I plan to tone it down a notch on the new set.

Thanks for any help.

From Tire Rack
View attachment 852296
OE tires aren't necessarily made to the same spec as the aftermarket tires.
OE tires are more built to a spec and price point (mostly the latter) requested by the car mfr.
They tend to wear out faster.

OE tires aren't necessarily made to the same spec as the aftermarket tires.
OE tires are more built to a spec and price point (mostly the latter) requested by the car mfr.
They tend to wear out faster.
The other factor with Teslas is not just the torque but the fact that when you get a brand new Tesla, you have all this power and you want to play - it’s fun taking off when the light turns green and feeling that EV power propel you straight to 60 mph. The problem is that also wears the tires really fast. After you’ve had the car for a while you tend to moderate your driving style. The end result is the OEM tires wear out much more quickly.

Temps here in the DFW region have finally allowed me to drive w/o the energy drain of AC. Efficiency has improved dramatically, hovering around 270Wh/mi. I guess before I dismiss the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 tires as horribly inefficient, I should wait until the car has been driven through a range of temps. I've only driven in 90f temps with the Michelins!
Temps and driving conditions can make a big difference in efficiency with EVs so you need to be very careful in your comparisons. I put the most weight on the lifetime efficiency of my car right around the time I took delivery. That means I’ve gone through a complete cycle of seasons with cold and snow, heat & A/C and the ‘golden’ times in between where efficiency is at its peak.

Reactions: Pianewman
Three weeks ago I replaced the OEM tres with the DWS06+. Initially my wh/mi went from 270 to between 310-330. I live in Texas and was still dealing with the heat. I keep the HVAC system on Auto. I have put about 3000 miles on these tires and the wh/mi has decreased. I do not know if that is from HVAC system or that tires have some wear on them.
Yesterday I drove 250 miles and the wh/mi finished the trip at 290. Parts of the trip I had to drive between 50-60 mph and during that part of the trip the wh/mi was 255.

The OE are a grand touring, LRR, AS tire and the DWS06 is a UHP AS tire. It's a trade off ...not a way that I'm aware of ti get better traction/performance without reducing range. The reviews I have seen are between 10-12%. At worst your talking about a 40 mile reduction in range. Most will never even get close to the EPA numbers IRL so I would expect a more realistic reduction to be in the range of 30-35 miles. It will vary based on many factors and except for a very small percentage of cases the reduction will not really be noticable.

Valuable info in this thread. Looking forward to periodic updates as we all add miles to our cars.

My hesistance to purchasing the DWS06 is based on my previous experience with early production of the tire. I put them on my 2009 VW TDI Sportwagen and my 2014 VW Passat TDISEL, and they started getting very noisy at the 20k mile mark. Rotated at 5k miles. They had plenty of tread left after 20k miles, but since VW bought the TDIs back from me, that was the end of my experience. I hope Continental has improved the design.

Reactions: Pacernow
The OE are a grand touring, LRR, AS tire and the DWS06 is a UHP AS tire. It's a trade off ...not a way that I'm aware of ti get better traction/performance without reducing range.
Makes sense to me. I don't see how one could reduce rolling resistance without also reducing traction. I mean, traction is resistance - though resistance to slipping, not rolling. Maybe it's a dynamic friction vs static friction balance? In any event, I'm not surprised these DWS06+ have more rolling resistance, as they seem to really "stick" to the road when driving and feel more confident than the OEM Conti's did to me. I'll take that kind of resistance. Hoping they resist in snow a bit too. :)

Reactions: 240vPlug
Makes sense to me. I don't see how one could reduce rolling resistance without also reducing traction. I mean, traction is resistance - though resistance to slipping, not rolling. Maybe it's a dynamic friction vs static friction balance? In any event, I'm not surprised these DWS06+ have more rolling resistance, as they seem to really "stick" to the road when driving and feel more confident than the OEM Conti's did to me. I'll take that kind of resistance. Hoping they resist in snow a bit too. :)
Ditto for the Pilot Sport AS4.