Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Tire Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently replaced my OEM GT with Yokohama avid ascend GT. My GT lasted 44k so I was quite happy but just wanted to change it up. I could have gotten more but I didn't rotate as often as I should have. I don't have too many miles on Yokohama yet but so far ride feels lot less hasher and they feel more softer. Will see how long these last.

I recently replaced my OEM GT with Yokohama avid ascend GT. My GT lasted 44k so I was quite happy but just wanted to change it up. I could have gotten more but I didn't rotate as often as I should have. I don't have too many miles on Yokohama yet but so far ride feels lot less hasher and they feel more softer. Will see how long these last.

I have the Avid Ascend GT's as well, but as of late, they seem to be a bit noisier than I like. I am wondering if tire pressue migh the be issue as they are all at about 43psi (cold), so I will increase them a bit to see if it helps. The wear on them is suppose to be great.

No scratches, but I somehow didn't realize that they had installed those green valve stem caps until I got home. I would have rather kept my metallic looking ones.

The green caps usually indicate the tires are filled with nitrogen. Personally, I don’t buy into the nitrogen fill idea. The tire dealer magazines have articles about the big added profits charging for nitrogen tire fills. I think Costco fills with nitrogen just to avoid the whole issue. Anyway if Costco swapped your silver caps for green ones, they probably have buckets of used silver caps. You might ask them.

Hi am_dmd,
Can you share info about where have you got the Yokohamas installed and how much did they cost you for all 4 tires?
Thanks,

I have the Avid Ascend GT's as well, but as of late, they seem to be a bit noisier than I like. I am wondering if tire pressue migh the be issue as they are all at about 43psi (cold), so I will increase them a bit to see if it helps. The wear on them is suppose to be great.
I have mine on 45 psi but there is a warning on tires that says max 40 psi. Not sure if I am reading it wrong?

2015 P85D, 19” factory wheels, OEM tires Michelin MXM4. Just took my car in for a “going out of warranty checkout, and any service needed”. SC said My Michelin’s are forecasted to go 60-70K based on my current wear at 28K. My driving is 90% highway miles so that effects the tire mileage. Tires are as quiet as the day I took delivery. Goodyear Eagles on an earlier car were a huge disappointment. At 12K, they became extremely loud & rough, even though adequate tire depth remained.

If I was tire searching, I would definitely go with the Michelin’s. Yes they cost more, but wear, quality & silence into late wear is worth it to me.

2015 P85D, 19” factory wheels, OEM tires Michelin MXM4. Just took my car in for a “going out of warranty checkout, and any service needed”. SC said My Michelin’s are forecasted to go 60-70K based on my current wear at 28K. My driving is 90% highway miles so that effects the tire mileage. Tires are as quiet as the day I took delivery. Goodyear Eagles on an earlier car were a huge disappointment. At 12K, they became extremely loud & rough, even though adequate tire depth remained.

If I was tire searching, I would definitely go with the Michelin’s. Yes they cost more, but wear, quality & silence into late wear is worth it to me.
What did all 4 cost you incl mounting ?

I was under the impression you could largely ignore what the tire says and should defer to the car specs instead. Am I wrong???
You might be right. Got scared when I was filling up air to 45 and read the warning.
So far I am happy with Yokohama. It's been raining heavily past few days here and so far they have passed the 'wet' test.

I was under the impression you could largely ignore what the tire says and should defer to the car specs instead. Am I wrong???

Nope that’s the max pressure that tire is designed for. While I’m sure there’s a safety factor built in, if you blow a tire and it’s beyond the max rating they won’t cover it. Probably not a good tire choice for a Tesla if it’s not rated for 45psi.

Otherwise yeah follow the car specs but not above the max safe rating of the tire. No different than speed ratings - just because your car can do 150 mph it’s not smart to do it on tires only rated for 118 mph...

Reactions: Struja
Nope that’s the max pressure that tire is designed for. While I’m sure there’s a safety factor built in, if you blow a tire and it’s beyond the max rating they won’t cover it. Probably not a good tire choice for a Tesla if it’s not rated for 45psi.

Otherwise yeah follow the car specs but not above the max safe rating of the tire. No different than speed ratings - just because your car can do 150 mph it’s not smart to do it on tires only rated for 118 mph...
That's wild that Tirerack and others would recommend this tire for the Tesla in light of this fact. Well, not much I can do now.

I found the following from tire rack website regarding the Yokohamas.

Tire specs show max psi as 51 and tirerack has added a nore about teslas having 45 psi as recommended tire pressure.

Screenshots attached

Attachments

• 528A456A-7B37-4B94-B3A8-427D33C6C80B.png
    528A456A-7B37-4B94-B3A8-427D33C6C80B.png
    313.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 70EE157E-5EEA-46C0-A8F1-190289BD5F5B.png
    70EE157E-5EEA-46C0-A8F1-190289BD5F5B.png
    416.1 KB · Views: 72