Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" tires on Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in San Jose with family in Los Angeles. Because of COVID and elder parents, I've been driving down once a month. Pre-COVID, I just flew down once a month. While I'm not driving through snow, it concerns me that the Grapevine is regularly <40F around midnight and I'm somewhat hauling ass (i.e. 75-80 mph). I usually go late night so it's gets really cold on the Grapevine. It's probably not the best idea to drive summer tires under those conditions.

Yeah, I use to drive a heavily modified (borderline track car) Acura RSX with like 200-Treadwear Falken RT-615/615Ks for all seasons and rain. It was a little scary in rain. It wasn't cold enough in SoCal for me to notice any summer tire problems in winter. But when I was in my 20s, I didn't mind. Now that I'm in my late 30s, I don't want that stress on my mind anymore.

What makes this challenging is that I want the same 19" OEM wheels (with hubcaps) so that I can get the maximum range when I drive to Los Angeles. That means it's $750/wheel (or find it used for a deal), haha. I have a storage unit so I can throw my tires/wheels in storage. Cost isn't an issue but I'm just debating whether an extra set of wheels are "worth it" for winter driving over Grapevine and the occasional Tahoe trip.
I do, but I am biased as that is what I do, for the same reasons you are considering.

Pulled the trigger on it. Thanks for all the good info in this thread!

FYI, there's a $70 Conti promo right now: https://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=C177

1636134816519.png

Pulled the trigger on it. Thanks for all the good info in this thread!

FYI, there's a $70 Conti promo right now: https://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/details.jsp?promoID=C177

View attachment 729652
I had my service appointment today where I brought them some OEM 19in wheels to get All Seasons placed on them. It seem Tesla ordered the same ones you have listed here. It cost me 1260 total, and I bought them in Delaware to avoid sales tax. Here are pics of them on.

Attachments

• 0E0F4582-F799-412E-9505-FB64344A6334.jpeg
    0E0F4582-F799-412E-9505-FB64344A6334.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 75
  • B5FD6DA1-7441-4817-A09B-7552D615765B.jpeg
    B5FD6DA1-7441-4817-A09B-7552D615765B.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: wornout
I had my service appointment today where I brought them some OEM 19in wheels to get All Seasons placed on them. It seem Tesla ordered the same ones you have listed here. It cost me 1260 total, and I bought them in Delaware to avoid sales tax. Here are pics of them on.
Damn, $1260 is like $60 cheaper than what I paid. And I have to pay for dismount/mount. I am getting $70 gift card and free hazard hazard protection. I guess that’s a wash.

I tried reaching out to Tesla parts and they were just clueless. I felt like I knew more about their tire options and OEM wheels than they did. I think they were quoting me on 2020 MS LR tire/wheel options instead of 2021 refreshed model. And they didn’t follow up on my questions. 🤷‍♂️

I just swapped my P Zero's out to the Conti's. Pleasantly surprised how well these all season Conti's have been gripping on my MS LR. When flooring it down a slightly bumpy street, there's very slight slippage. For comparison, the P-Zeros would have gripped 100% of the way on the same street. You can feel the very slight traction loss but there isn't any angry tire noise. I'm not sure if that's just EV traction control at work. In previous cars, traction loss resulted in angry tire noises.

Unless I see a deal on another set of 19" takeoffs, I likely will just run these Conti's all year around. They're "good enough" at least for MS LR. I'll throw my P-Zero's on like 2023 Spring and run them down.

1636759912064.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Blue Stuff
I just swapped my P Zero's out to the Conti's. Pleasantly surprised how well these all season Conti's have been gripping on my MS LR. When flooring it down a slightly bumpy street, there's very slight slippage. For comparison, the P-Zeros would have gripped 100% of the way on the same street. You can feel the very slight traction loss but there isn't any angry tire noise. I'm not sure if that's just EV traction control at work. In previous cars, traction loss resulted in angry tire noises.

Unless I see a deal on another set of 19" takeoffs, I likely will just run these Conti's all year around. They're "good enough" at least for MS LR. I'll throw my P-Zero's on like 2023 Spring and run them down.

View attachment 732434
Same experience here! Rains and is cool here in Seattle at least 6 months out of the year. No reason to suffer/risk it/lose enjoyment with summer’s all year round.
@WilliamG

I’m picking up my Plaid w/ 19s… how are the summer tires working for those living in Maryland , DC and Virginia during the winter and rainy seasons? I won’t drive it with snow/ice on the ground… just wondering how they grip in the rain when temps are in the 50s. I’ll drive my RRS during inclement/winter.

I’m picking up my Plaid w/ 19s… how are the summer tires working for those living in Maryland , DC and Virginia during the winter and rainy seasons? I won’t drive it with snow/ice on the ground… just wondering how they grip in the rain when temps are in the 50s. I’ll drive my RRS during inclement/winter.

You'll have zero issues in the 50s.