Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" tires on Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree. I live in NC & we often have sub 40 degree temps during our winter season. I would hope that they are shipped with all season tires.
I know the manufacturers say not to use summer tires in freezing temps, but I have been doing it for 6+ years now here in Durham. The tires seem to grip fine. Maybe our roads heat up enough most days? I also stay home whenever there is snow.

I know the manufacturers say not to use summer tires in freezing temps, but I have been doing it for 6+ years now here in Durham. The tires seem to grip fine. Maybe our roads heat up enough most days? I also stay home whenever there is snow.
That is helpful to hear. My new MS has 19" with the summer Pirelli's. I'm hoping that I can use them year round. I'd drive an old land cruiser in really bad weather here, but might drive the MS on cold dry days. I assume that is what you are doing in NC?

Reactions: jebinc
I ordered these 19” SV104 from Signature Wheels. Quality is amazing! I also have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4. Front: 255x45ZR19 and Rears: 285x40ZR19 on order. Since I’m still waiting on the car (EDD Nov), I don’t have any experience on the ride quality and sound of these tires. Has anyone experienced this setup?

1631915899195.jpeg

Whoa, are the 19s faster? I just ordered a Plaid with the 21s. Maybe I should save $4500?

Reactions: bhzmark
Whoa, are the 19s faster? I just ordered a Plaid with the 21s. Maybe I should save $4500?

Maybe you should?! Could you use the $4500 elsewhere?

Is it confirmed that 19" wheels on the LR come with All Season tires?
Mine does not have M+S tires on it. My refreshed MS-LR, 19” (delivered 9/1) came with Pirelli P-Zero ELECT tires that indicate “TO”, which I beleive is as Tesla spec tire. Nowhere on the tire does it indicate “all season”, M+S, or anything else which would lead you to believe they are all season.

Reactions: bhzmark
It's confirmed (by users here) that they are being shipped with both. One guy on the LR thread said he checked out the cars at the SC and there were 19" wheel cars with summer tires and some with AS. Who knows what we'll get.
I thought about this after my previous response, but could it be a regional thing? Like colder climes get AS, places like here in CA only get summer tires. Seems like it’d be difficult to manage deliveries that way but 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve struggled with this my entire wait reading and watching and researching. The Pirelli 19’s are summer. Some SC’s dig in saying the “elect” are special for Tesla and work in all season. They don’t. Any Pirelli all season on their site cleary say it on the tire. Others in the north have said the SC agrees and offers to switch them out “another time when the all seasons are in stock”. I find it hard to believe Tesla would eat all those summers that are used and simply replace. Then there are some folks speckled in that did get all seasons. The folks getting all seasons are getting Continental tires. I’m one of them. Walked in ready to battle over it and the kid basically ran out to the car and literally breathed a sigh of relief and yelled to me “they’re Continentals”. The car next to me was a lease. His were the Pirelli summers. He wasn’t happy as I was parked next to him and pointed out the difference between mine and his. If you do get Pirelli and if they happen to agree to switch them some other time, get it in writing.
My newest concern, like others, is I didn’t have floor mats, trunk privacy shelf or trunk bottom storage covers. They’re supposed to be shipped to me but no one will put that in writing either…whacky place. Here are pics of the tires. And yes, I removed the plastic hub cap covers off when I didn’t think I was going to. I do like this look better. The wheel cap kit was from Amazon

KENPENRI Aerodynamic Wheel Cap Kit Compatible with Tesla​

Attachments

• FD4633A8-3E14-482B-8223-8B88DF8BFFC5.jpeg
    FD4633A8-3E14-482B-8223-8B88DF8BFFC5.jpeg
    614 KB · Views: 106
  • 207E7001-FCB2-4D78-A3AD-2B40C3F13366.jpeg
    207E7001-FCB2-4D78-A3AD-2B40C3F13366.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 78F1C2A4-BFA2-4AFD-A0FF-8563468AE38A.jpeg
    78F1C2A4-BFA2-4AFD-A0FF-8563468AE38A.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 113
  • EDB97AC1-4CC4-4282-A8E8-9DE69EE25002.jpeg
    EDB97AC1-4CC4-4282-A8E8-9DE69EE25002.jpeg
    400.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 41A1F715-C08B-46C2-A405-098C5A92269A.jpeg
    41A1F715-C08B-46C2-A405-098C5A92269A.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 107
  • 2B336CE2-D807-4518-9185-EC262111D7B3.jpeg
    2B336CE2-D807-4518-9185-EC262111D7B3.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 4E59B0AE-67B8-41D4-AA7C-AD76755E39B1.jpeg
    4E59B0AE-67B8-41D4-AA7C-AD76755E39B1.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 7AF31199-C5C7-461E-AC74-BA28900CADE9.jpeg
    7AF31199-C5C7-461E-AC74-BA28900CADE9.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 114
My LR delivered on Sept 2nd was delivered with summer tires. Being from Chicago, I pleaded with a couple of folks in the SC saying they should have been shipped with all seasons, but they said swapping them out would be at my expense. I even pointed to a couple of folks on this forum saying they had approvals to switch to all seasons for no charge, but they claim there is nothing they can do and to "not believe" everything you read on these forums :rolleyes:

That's crazy!
Being from Chicago too and expecting delivery in January, this could be an issue.
My prior two Model S cars (2013 and 2017) both had Michelin A/S tires. It was never even an issue with those. Why now is it so whacky?
I think it was a rush for two reasons. About a month or so back, a bunch of Tesla buyers wrote a combined letter to Tesla leadership about the blank delivery dates, the folks with dates that moved daily way out then in and back out - daily, the time they've been waiting and the lack of communication. Within days, we all started seeing blanks change to dates but still moving until they'd sort of lock in and stay for many days....then some would get vin's etc. The other reason is the typical quarter rush (Q3 here) by Tesla to get their numbers up on deliveries coupled with Elon pushing the teams publicly to get as many out as possible in a "break records" push for Q3.
What was happening a couple months back were the plaids came out before LR but only plaid's with 21's. Even LR started seeing cars released after with 21's but NO 19's were released. There was small window, and before price increases on bases, that 19 folks were switching to 21 to get their cars faster - and they did. Once folks realized that changing tires, changed the base price to the higher number, that stopped. There were also back ups with most white interiors for both models as well as carbon interiors for the plaids. I mean when I bought mine at the end of May, the SA said then, that if I upgraded to 21's I'd probably get it quicker - so they knew then on the tires anyway. I chose 19's being from the NE and wanting all seasons at that time knowing I'd be in the Sept/Oct delivery window - so they said - which did happen on 9/13.
I think, for the aforementioned reasons, they pushed out the 19's even if they were summer only Perelli's, to at least solve for getting the cars OUT that didnt have white or carbon material hold ups. Now they must be getting some stock of continental all seasons because you're seeing car with and without all seasons delivered same time to the same northern area service centers. All that said, thinking of a push to get cars out, I did get all seasons, but no mats front or back, no trunk shelf, no trunk covers for the two holding areas. Nothing in writing but a trust they've noted everything missing and I should see them delivered to my house - some day...can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:
I think it was a rush for two reasons. About a month or so back, a bunch of Tesla buyers wrote a combined letter to Tesla leadership about the blank delivery dates, the folks with dates that moved daily way out then in and back out - daily, the time they've been waiting and the lack of communication. Within days, we all started seeing blanks change to dates but still moving until they'd sort of lock in and stay for many days....then some would get vin's etc. The other reason is the typical quarter rush (Q3 here) by Tesla to get their numbers up on deliveries coupled with Elon pushing the teams publicly to get as many out as possible in a "break records" push for Q3.
What was happening a couple months back were the plaids came out before LR but only plaid's with 21's. Even LR started seeing cars released after with 21's but NO 19's were released. There was small window, and before price increases on bases, that 19 folks were switching to 21 to get their cars faster - and they did. Once folks realized that changing tires, changed the base price to the higher number, that stopped. There were also back ups with most white interiors for both models as well as carbon interiors for the plaids. I mean when I bought mine at the end of May, the SA said then, that if I upgraded to 21's I'd probably get it quicker - so they knew then on the tires anyway. I chose 19's being from the NE and wanting all seasons at that time knowing I'd be in the Sept/Oct delivery window - so they said - which did happen on 9/13.
I think, for the aforementioned reasons, they pushed out the 19's even if they were summer only Perelli's, to at least solve for getting the cars OUT that didnt have white or carbon material hold ups. Now they must be getting some stock of continental all seasons because you're seeing car with and without all seasons delivered same time to the same northern area service centers. All that said, thinking of a push to get cars out, I did get all seasons, but no mats front or back, no trunk shelf, no trunk covers for the two holding areas. Nothing in writing but a trust they've noted everything missing and I should see them delivered to my house - some day...can't make this stuff up.

Picked up my LR a couple weeks ago and they came with the Pirelli summer tires. I told them I needed all-season tires in Minnesota. They swapped them today and I now have Continental ProContact RX. Looked them up on Tire Rack and they sure get a poor rating in most categories. Not many choices yet for tires in the sizes required for the new S. Otherwise my car is pretty much perfect and nothing was missing. Quite the upgrade from my non AP 2014 S.

Picked up my LR a couple weeks ago and they came with the Pirelli summer tires. I told them I needed all-season tires in Minnesota. They swapped them today and I now have Continental ProContact RX. Looked them up on Tire Rack and they sure get a poor rating in most categories. Not many choices yet for tires in the sizes required for the new S. Otherwise my car is pretty much perfect and nothing was missing. Quite the upgrade from my non AP 2014 S.
For the 19”?