Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" tires on Plaid and LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve posted this elsewhere but this is probably the appropriate thread…
Here’s a quick video, by request, of the 19” Wheels under the Aero Covers of the Tesla 2021 Refreshed Model S PLAID or Long Range

Tesla 2021 Refreshed Model S PLAID/LR 19” Wheels Uncovered

Links to items in this video:

Tesla Part must be ordered directly from Tesla Parts:
WHEEL ORNAMENTATION CENTER CAP - GREY
(6005879-01-A)

iFixit Heavy Duty Suction Cups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBZQDT6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_t1ZkaWGD6S9Qg

VOSAREA 21 in 1 Hexagonal Wheel Lug Nut Covers Bolts Covers Screw Protect Caps 21mm with Clips (Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N85C7H...abc_1GJCNAFJW0SH00SB4DFW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Leeclanual
Just to follow-up, I took delivery in LA and they gave me summers. They had verbally told me that it would come with all-seasons, so I made a service request. 1 week before (1 month after delivery) they asked for documentation which I didn't have obviously, so they rejected it and said my car was supposed to come with summers.

Maybe they did it based on location? I doubt they were that organized...oh well, just put Michelin All Seasons on and have summers sitting around. May just sell them unless I feel the need to switch between all-seasons and summers, in which case I gotta find some interesting rims.

Just to follow-up, I took delivery in LA and they gave me summers. They had verbally told me that it would come with all-seasons, so I made a service request. 1 week before (1 month after delivery) they asked for documentation which I didn't have obviously, so they rejected it and said my car was supposed to come with summers.

Maybe they did it based on location? I doubt they were that organized...oh well, just put Michelin All Seasons on and have summers sitting around. May just sell them unless I feel the need to switch between all-seasons and summers, in which case I gotta find some interesting rims.
Discount tire switches them for 20$ per tire.
I suggest just bringing in the rims yourself.
also very popular now is mobile tire guys you may want to look into.

I’ve posted this elsewhere but this is probably the appropriate thread…
Here’s a quick video, by request, of the 19” Wheels under the Aero Covers of the Tesla 2021 Refreshed Model S PLAID or Long Range

Tesla 2021 Refreshed Model S PLAID/LR 19” Wheels Uncovered

Links to items in this video:

Tesla Part must be ordered directly from Tesla Parts:
WHEEL ORNAMENTATION CENTER CAP - GREY
(6005879-01-A)

iFixit Heavy Duty Suction Cups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBZQDT6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_t1ZkaWGD6S9Qg

VOSAREA 21 in 1 Hexagonal Wheel Lug Nut Covers Bolts Covers Screw Protect Caps 21mm with Clips (Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N85C7H...abc_1GJCNAFJW0SH00SB4DFW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Yep. Did same. Was torn on look with or without. Keeping without. Others have done tests and loss of mileage is decimal dust. I have the dent puller too. Works like a charm. Lastly, got the wheels ceramic coated this week and these wheels really shine now and the gunmetal color got deeper. Here’s a pic or two at shop having ceramic done. The pic with the wheel cover and lug caps was pre ceramic.

Attachments

• 9E50E28A-7018-499E-85CD-58E8C93E458E.jpeg
    9E50E28A-7018-499E-85CD-58E8C93E458E.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 7F2F54EB-C204-4A04-8F4E-979237FEAEE7.jpeg
    7F2F54EB-C204-4A04-8F4E-979237FEAEE7.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 111
  • A85BBF9D-7AF6-4BFE-B786-E7ABBC9B2FC3.jpeg
    A85BBF9D-7AF6-4BFE-B786-E7ABBC9B2FC3.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 129
Yep. Did same. Was torn on look with or without. Keeping without. Others have done tests and loss of mileage is decimal dust. I have the dent puller too. Works like a charm. Lastly, got the wheels ceramic coated this week and these wheels really shine now and the gunmetal color got deeper. Here’s a pic or two at shop having ceramic done. The pic with the wheel cover and lug caps was pre ceramic.
Yes mine were also ceramic coated. Alset did both the bare wheels as well as the aero covers.
Tesla Model S Plaid - Paint Protection

My September 2021 delivered MS LR came with summer 19" PZero's. I'm in the Bay Area. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue. However, I'm planning to drive monthly over the grapevine to visit the parents. I usually do these drives late at night. Temperature typically drops to <40F. I'm also thinking of making a January Tahoe trip. I'm likely going to buy another set of 19" wheels from Tesla and throw the all-season Conti's on it. I have a storage unit that I can easily store my summer wheels.

Same issue here. They even refuse to talk to me about this issue. Ridiculous. Service advisor at delivery said they are just now shipping them with All Seasons, and he would get back to me ASAP. 2 months later, and no one at Tesla even cares to respond to service requests, emails, phone calls, or texts. I plan to bring this one to my local small claims court, as they have refused to help or address the issue. I just wish the Tesla team didn't advise they would be All Seasons when I ordered..........

Same issue here. They even refuse to talk to me about this issue. Ridiculous. Service advisor at delivery said they are just now shipping them with All Seasons, and he would get back to me ASAP. 2 months later, and no one at Tesla even cares to respond to service requests, emails, phone calls, or texts. I plan to bring this one to my local small claims court, as they have refused to help or address the issue. I just wish the Tesla team didn't advise they would be All Seasons when I ordered..........
Yeah it annoyed me because Tesla is so hands-off with everything. Just use the app, it'll be fine. No need to look the car over, you can just let us know after. Then I ask about something they told me verbally, and suddenly they want documentation. I have none because when I asked over text my SA(s) never replied, so naturally I called and got verbal confirmation.

It's all completely ridiculous but I have no case--even in small claims I have nothing other than an unrecorded verbal confirmation. I just know to be more diligent in the future and get everything in writing, even if that involves many more emails or going there in person. It was ~$1400 to get the tires replaced and I have summers sitting in the garage now, so it's dumb but not something I'm going to worry about anymore.

On a positive note, I've had two excellent service center experiences recently and two different service centers, so it's been an improvement versus my experience over the past two years. If Tesla had to scam me out of $1400-x to do that then OK I guess.

Yeah it annoyed me because Tesla is so hands-off with everything. Just use the app, it'll be fine. No need to look the car over, you can just let us know after. Then I ask about something they told me verbally, and suddenly they want documentation. I have none because when I asked over text my SA(s) never replied, so naturally I called and got verbal confirmation.

It's all completely ridiculous but I have no case--even in small claims I have nothing other than an unrecorded verbal confirmation. I just know to be more diligent in the future and get everything in writing, even if that involves many more emails or going there in person. It was ~$1400 to get the tires replaced and I have summers sitting in the garage now, so it's dumb but not something I'm going to worry about anymore.

On a positive note, I've had two excellent service center experiences recently and two different service centers, so it's been an improvement versus my experience over the past two years. If Tesla had to scam me out of $1400-x to do that then OK I guess.
What AS tires did you put on? continental ProContact RX? I have those on my Plaid 19s and they are great, all around.

@wornout View attachment 727682View attachment 727683This 2% incline cold run today, with no drag strip mode, 36 degrees, frosty roads and low SOC. All good.

View attachment 727681
Thanks! If that’s the case, I might just run my P-Zeros until I really-really need all seasons (ie January Lake Tahoe trip) and just swap the tires out then. And time tire swap back to P-Zeros during a spring to finish them off. My initial idea of having two sets of wheels in California is a bit overkill.

Reactions: jebinc
Thanks! If that’s the case, I might just run my P-Zeros until I really-really need all seasons (ie January Lake Tahoe trip) and just swap the tires out then. And time tire swap back to P-Zeros during a spring to finish them off. My initial idea of having two sets of wheels in California is a bit overkill.
Just a caution that supply chains are still wonky and you might want to get tires sooner than later if you know you will need them.

Reactions: bhzmark and wornout

My friends think I'm crazy but I live in SoCal and have summer tires on all my vehicles. I also have actual snow tires (for 1 of my cars) which I'll use if I'm driving up to Mammoth/Big Bear.

I've personally never been a fan of all seasons. I see them a jack of all trades, master of none. Real snow tires are serious. I used to drive RWD sports cars back in the East Coast w/dedicated winter tires around AWD trucks and SUVs with all-seasons through DEEPER snow just to get around them since they were stuck.

Of course then you need a place to store them, and find a use for them at least twice a year to make it worth it depending on cost. Some new cars like Teslas have 19-22" wheels and snow tires are $$$. I have them for my Honda Accord currently and some 16" fat snow tires and steel wheels aren't very expensive. :p I haven't decided if I will get them for my Model S when it comes.

Reactions: wornout
Just a caution that supply chains are still wonky and you might want to get tires sooner than later if you know you will need them.
Yep, I considered that as well, haha. I've been extremely proactive in buying stuff ASAP (in general) because of supply chain issues. Fortune favors the prepared.

By buying the all seasons early, worst case, I already have another set of brand new tires in a year or two. I drive pretty aggressive so I'm sure my PZeros won't be lasting very long, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: jebinc
My friends think I'm crazy but I live in SoCal and have summer tires on all my vehicles. I also have actual snow tires (for 1 of my cars) which I'll use if I'm driving up to Mammoth/Big Bear.

I've personally never been a fan of all seasons. I see them a jack of all trades, master of none. Real snow tires are serious. I used to drive RWD sports cars back in the East Coast w/dedicated winter tires around AWD trucks and SUVs with all-seasons through DEEPER snow just to get around them since they were stuck.

Of course then you need a place to store them, and find a use for them at least twice a year to make it worth it depending on cost. Some new cars like Teslas have 19-22" wheels and snow tires are $$$. I have them for my Honda Accord currently and some 16" fat snow tires and steel wheels aren't very expensive. :p I haven't decided if I will get them for my Model S when it comes.
I'm in San Jose with family in Los Angeles. Because of COVID and elder parents, I've been driving down once a month. Pre-COVID, I just flew down once a month. While I'm not driving through snow, it concerns me that the Grapevine is regularly <40F around midnight and I'm somewhat hauling ass (i.e. 75-80 mph). I usually go late night so it's gets really cold on the Grapevine. It's probably not the best idea to drive summer tires under those conditions.

Yeah, I use to drive a heavily modified (borderline track car) Acura RSX with like 200-Treadwear Falken RT-615/615Ks for all seasons and rain. It was a little scary in rain. It wasn't cold enough in SoCal for me to notice any summer tire problems in winter. But when I was in my 20s, I didn't mind. Now that I'm in my late 30s, I don't want that stress on my mind anymore.

What makes this challenging is that I want the same 19" OEM wheels (with hubcaps) so that I can get the maximum range when I drive to Los Angeles. That means it's $750/wheel (or find it used for a deal), haha. I have a storage unit so I can throw my tires/wheels in storage. Cost isn't an issue but I'm just debating whether an extra set of wheels are "worth it" for winter driving over Grapevine and the occasional Tahoe trip.

Last edited: