Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I've noticed with the Xi3's is that they really can't handle lane changes under rapid P85 acceleration--like if you punch it while changing lanes to go around someone on the highway. It induces quite a bit of instability. The car was just realigned and rear toe links fixed, so I'm reasonably confident it's just the tire change from the 21's and nothing else. Temperatures in the 40s, so not really warm but probably a bit higher than ideal for the compound. Otherwise the tires seem pretty good for winters. Can anyone else getting Xi3's confirm what I'm experiencing?

One thing I've noticed with the Xi3's is that they really can't handle lane changes under rapid P85 acceleration--like if you punch it while changing lanes to go around someone on the highway. It induces quite a bit of instability. The car was just realigned and rear toe links fixed, so I'm reasonably confident it's just the tire change from the 21's and nothing else. Temperatures in the 40s, so not really warm but probably a bit higher than ideal for the compound. Otherwise the tires seem pretty good for winters. Can anyone else getting Xi3's confirm what I'm experiencing?

I don't have the Xi3 tires, but to me that would be expected behaviour. Deep tread, lots of voids, flexible tread compound, and a more compliant belt structure all reduce stability during rapid lane changes. R2 and Blizzak would have the same behaviour.

Yes, even with the S85 at low-30s ambient temp the Xi3 gave me the same feeling. As Jerry says, not a big surprise.

A few more pics of gunmetal with black...

tesla3.jpg

tesla2.jpg

tesla1.jpg

I'd stopped following this thread since I figured I'd always have 21's and tesla came out with 19's anyway, but revisited after discovering yet another flat today. I dreaded spending 1k simply on rears and knew my fronts would need replacing soon anyway.

So off to 19" winters I go, and then I discover this thread again and the gun metal rials. Awesome! I think I'm going to go with the xi3's and the road hazard protection. ~2k for new tires, wheels and protection made my day.

Thanks all.

This is why I got Pilot Aplin PA3's and not the X-Ice/Blizzack/R2. :)

I did some very spirited driving on a local side road and I can certainly confirm that there is a significant change in handling with the Xi3s. It was a warm day, in the 50s. It felt like the tires were really squishy - like having play in the steering wheel. I can't say that it felt unsafe though. Under hard acceleration the traction control came on most of the time, but I found it coming on a lot with the PS2s as well - the car is new and I only had them a few days before getting the winters on.

I have a 2007 Audi S6 with Bridgestone LM-25 winter performance tires and they feel rock solid. I wanted better snow and ice performance with rear wheel drive on the Tesla - plus it's really expensive so I don't want to bang it up.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is early in NoVa to have winters. I was going to wait until T'giving weekend to put mine on in CT but they were just sitting there in the basement, staring at me, and I couldn't resist :smile:. It's been warm the last few days but the cold(er) snap arrives tonight.

Actually I did this to my front 21, so figured it was time to get the winters on :-(. Now on to the alloy gators thread...
3yhu9ebe.jpg