Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question on 20" rims and curb rashes. With the 21" combo, the rim sticks out pretty far, but with my current 19" there it seems like there is enough protection for a light graze on a curb. How about the 20" with 245s?

Anyone have a pic showing the tire to rim overlap with the 245 and/or 255 tire?

Thanks!

Not sure if these angles help. 245/40-20 on 20x9.0" TST.

midnight-silver-metallic-tesla-model-s-20-inch-wheels-tst-brilliant-silver-7-1024x683.jpg

silver-tesla-model-s-2016-20-inch-wheel-tst-metallic-grey-9.jpg

I am also worried about the curb rush with these. For folks who got 20s, do you feel there's any rim protection with 245 tires?
I bought rim protectors for the 19's... the rims had a wide enough flat area that installing the protectors was pretty easy and solid. With the new 20's that flat area is tiny.... there is no way they would stick well enough to stay on.

I looked into rim protectors, but I rejected the idea for two reasons:

1. I'm not a fan of the look of rim protectors. Somehow to me, they stick out like a sore thumb and alter the lines of the wheel and tire for the worse. Even if you get them in a black or gray/silver color that's supposed to blend in, they're still very visible.

2. Some people say that after long-term use of the rim protectors that dirt and small stones get up under the rim protector and will then scratch the wheel. If that happens, then the rim protector hasn't really helped you. I think this problem is dependent on the mounting style of the protector -- those that use strong adhesive may suffer less from this issue than those that mount by wedging into the tire's bead area.

For me, I decided that I would just be really careful with the rims. So far, I've only rashed one ... I sent it for repair and I'm supposed to get it back soon.

I looked into rim protectors, but I rejected the idea for two reasons:

1. I'm not a fan of the look of rim protectors. Somehow to me, they stick out like a sore thumb and alter the lines of the wheel and tire for the worse. Even if you get them in a black or gray/silver color that's supposed to blend in, they're still very visible.

2. Some people say that after long-term use of the rim protectors that dirt and small stones get up under the rim protector and will then scratch the wheel. If that happens, then the rim protector hasn't really helped you. I think this problem is dependent on the mounting style of the protector -- those that use strong adhesive may suffer less from this issue than those that mount by wedging into the tire's bead area.

For me, I decided that I would just be really careful with the rims. So far, I've only rashed one ... I sent it for repair and I'm supposed to get it back soon.

Careful is a good choice!
19" is still a good choice!
Can't go wrong either way.

View media item 116203

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hi all.

Some great analysis here. I plan to buy 20 inch aftermarket TST wheels for import to the UK, but I also am concerned about what sort of re-programming I may have to do once the new wheels are fitted, or whether the driving range (to next charger, for example) will be less than accurate if I tell the car's computer I have either 19" or 21" wheels, after the 20" wheels have been fitted.

Be great if anyone who has opted for a change to 20 inch wheels talk me through their experience of that?

Cheers.

When the car recognizes new TPMS modules in the new wheels, it will ask you if you have 19" or 21" wheels on the car. I have been using the 21" setting for the 20" wheels. I believe this selector only controls energy estimates, it doesn't actuate any other changes.

If you re-use the same TPMS modules, you can force this selection box to come up by going into the settings and doing a "Reset TPMS".

@SomeJoe7777, thank you again for your excellent insight into the whole wheel/tyre change question.

I am very close to making the decision to buy my Tesla with regular 19" stock wheels then buying aftermarket TST 20s. When the garage fit the new wheels/tyres, is there any special Tesla engineer work that needs to be done, or can everything be done by the garage team? Do you need to buy new TPMS modules?

Also, re the fact that you can't select bespoke wheel size, selecting 21" I guess is a conservative way of measuring energy, as that should use more than a 19". Do you find energy estimates are wildy off reality? That would concern/bother me I have to say.

I have just 1 more day until my reservation becomes final, so really appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers.

Hi all.

Some great analysis here. I plan to buy 20 inch aftermarket TST wheels for import to the UK, but I also am concerned about what sort of re-programming I may have to do once the new wheels are fitted, or whether the driving range (to next charger, for example) will be less than accurate if I tell the car's computer I have either 19" or 21" wheels, after the 20" wheels have been fitted.

Be great if anyone who has opted for a change to 20 inch wheels talk me through their experience of that?

Cheers.
Hi, @sm01 , I have TSW Nurburgring 20 inch wheels with my Classic S for summer with Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires 255/40R20 square setup. After you install four new 20 inch wheels, Tesla will automatically detects wheel change and ask for the rim size, 19 or 21. You can select either, but most people choose 21 for better range prediction. I tried both, but found very little difference if any. TPMS tire pressure sensors should automatically register themselves but if not, you can always reset them from the center console.

Reactions: sm01
Hi all.

Cheers.

Hey @sm01 I have the T Sportline 20" turbines and couldn't be happier with the look and performance. I had the same thoughts beforehand and a non issue in my experience. I selected the 21" tyre size on screen when I had them installed and the TPMS sensors registered automatically. The speedometer is spot on from my tests which was my main worry, happy that when it says a speed I know that's exactly what I'm doing. Range calculations etc shouldn't be affected by wheel size in that case, the type of tyre, temp, weather conditions etc would have more of an effect on that but if you're cutting it so fine to get to the next charger that the margin of error on the tyre size is a factor, you're cutting it too close! ;) I'm a big fan of my 20"s, no regrets.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and sm01
@SomeJoe7777, thank you again for your excellent insight into the whole wheel/tyre change question.

I am very close to making the decision to buy my Tesla with regular 19" stock wheels then buying aftermarket TST 20s. When the garage fit the new wheels/tyres, is there any special Tesla engineer work that needs to be done, or can everything be done by the garage team? Do you need to buy new TPMS modules?

Also, re the fact that you can't select bespoke wheel size, selecting 21" I guess is a conservative way of measuring energy, as that should use more than a 19". Do you find energy estimates are wildy off reality? That would concern/bother me I have to say.

I have just 1 more day until my reservation becomes final, so really appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers.

Nothing really special to mounting and putting on the 20" wheels, especially if you get the TSTs. The TSTs fit as the OEM wheels do, with the same lug nuts, center caps, and TPMS modules. The only thing the garage needs to pay attention to is the jacking procedures. First, if you have air suspension, they need to put it in jack mode. Once that's done, jacking must use the jack points which are forward of each rear wheel and rearward of each front wheel. There is a rubberized pad at each jack point. They need to make sure that their jack hits the jack pad ONLY, and does not clip the edge of the battery pack.

Since you will have two sets of wheels, you will need a second set of TPMS modules. Tesla themselves have the cheapest price on those at $50 each. Get them from the Tesla service center prior to delivery.

Mounting the tires and balancing the wheels is the same as any other wheel/tire. I would recommend road-force balancing if available at your tire shop. It costs a bit more, but balances the wheel and the tire to each other, rather than treating them as one unit to be balanced.

The energy estimates between the 19" and 21" settings aren't too different, and I've found that other factors like weather and wind make a much larger difference than the car's tire selection.

Per Tesla ... Driving Range for the Model S Family

Performance Tires and Wheels
With tires and wheels there are some physics tradeoffs between handling, traction and efficiency (rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag.) At the most intuitive level, as a tire becomes more sticky it will corner and accelerate better but also have modestly higher rolling resistance. Customers can make decisions on tires and wheels independently across all variants of the Model S. Of course these decisions are also often changed throughout the life of the car (summer vs. winter tires for example.)

The 19" Cyclone wheel and tire that we offer on most of our vehicles is the best configuration for range, efficiency and cost effectiveness. The 21" wheel/tire upgrade yields substantially improved handling performance and vehicle dynamics. The 21" performance tires are a more commonly selected option on our performance variants (P85, P85D and formerly P85+) since many of these performance-oriented customers want the best possible handling. There is however roughly a 3% reduction in EPA 5-cycle range (compared to the values presented in the table above) for the selection of 21" performance tires to any of the Model S variants. For customers who care about handling and performance driving this is a tradeoff that we think is well worth it. For customers who are focused on range, efficiency and best value the 19" wheels can be configured onto any Model S variant to achieve the values in the EPA table above.

As an example calculation, if a standard Model S 85 with 19" tires having 265 miles of range is changed to 21" tires the range would be reduced by ~3% to about 257 miles. This is the range that most customers of the former P85+ configuration experience since nearly all of those variants are configured with 21" tires.

Wheel size impact on range .jpg

Reactions: hiroshiy and sm01
Hi, @sm01 , I have TSW Nurburgring 20 inch wheels with my Classic S for summer with Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires 255/40R20 square setup. After you install four new 20 inch wheels, Tesla will automatically detects wheel change and ask for the rim size, 19 or 21. You can select either, but most people choose 21 for better range prediction. I tried both, but found very little difference if any. TPMS tire pressure sensors should automatically register themselves but if not, you can always reset them from the center console.

Great thanks hiroshiy for the feedback there. TSWs also really nice!

Reactions: hiroshiy
Great thanks hiroshiy for the feedback there. TSWs also really nice!
P_20160723_165202.jpg

Note that I chose 255 but 255 seems to affect range much more than 245/40R20, so if you worry about range reduction don't do 255. I was driving 245/45R19 before and wasn't satisfied with the performance and grip, so I decided to move to 255/40R20. About 10% range hit with Potenza S001 (one of the most sticky summer performance tires).

For a "winter" set, I went with the TST 19" matte black and stock size "245/45R19" Michelin AS/3+ tires. These tires are ultra high performance all-season with really good dry/wet traction and good snow/ice ratings for an all-season.

I like the matte black because it matches the tire color very well and hides the transition from wheel to tire. It's this transition that plagues the aesthetics of 19" wheels I think, making the wheels look "small". Because it matches the tire color so well, it looks good both clean and dirty. Of course, this is all relative to your taste.

Here they are in various states of cleanliness and lighting (real world conditions).

Clean (in the shade)
MS_19matteblack.jpg

Very Dirty
MS_19matteblack_dirty.jpg

Clean in bright sunlight
MS_19matteblack_clean_1.jpg

Closeup
MS_19matteblack_clean_2.jpg

Indoors / Dirty
MS_19matteblack_dirty_1.jpg

Dirty / Night
MS_19matteblack_dirty_2.jpg

There's quite a story behind this image, including a guy laying underneath the back of the car saying "I cain't believe they ain't no tail pipes". Owner and employees were super nice and accommodating.
MS_Campground.jpg

Despite loving the stock 21s for performance, I've been very happy with these wheels and tires. They're very grippy wet and dry and soak up bumps much better than the stock tires. They're also more reassuring on the occasional road trip, with the knowledge I'm less likely to get a flat and more likely to find a replacement tire if I do.

Bumping this old thread since I'm a soon to be Model S owner and am potentially thinking about switching out my wheels. Had a few questions for anyone who knows..

1. Any further thoughts from anyone about their TST 20" rims several months later?

2. If you go the TST route, is there any issue with your Tesla warranty to put on aftermarket rims?