Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" pics?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bumping this old thread since I'm a soon to be Model S owner and am potentially thinking about switching out my wheels. Had a few questions for anyone who knows..

1. Any further thoughts from anyone about their TST 20" rims several months later?

2. If you go the TST route, is there any issue with your Tesla warranty to put on aftermarket rims?

Loved my T-Sportline 20" rims, they worked very well and looked great. My S is leased and is getting returned in about 3 weeks. The 20" TST's are for sale if you're interested.

Tesla would of course not warrant the aftermarket wheels or tires themselves nor will they work on them (mount/dismount tires, etc.), but my service center did not have a problem removing them to perform annual maintenance on the car (brake inspection, etc.) and then reinstalling them.

Hey @sm01 I have the T Sportline 20" turbines and couldn't be happier with the look and performance. I had the same thoughts beforehand and a non issue in my experience. I selected the 21" tyre size on screen when I had them installed and the TPMS sensors registered automatically. The speedometer is spot on from my tests which was my main worry, happy that when it says a speed I know that's exactly what I'm doing. Range calculations etc shouldn't be affected by wheel size in that case, the type of tyre, temp, weather conditions etc would have more of an effect on that but if you're cutting it so fine to get to the next charger that the margin of error on the tyre size is a factor, you're cutting it too close! ;) I'm a big fan of my 20"s, no regrets.

Well I was about to comment but you stole it word for word. ;) I have the same set up and the same experience. Love the T-Spotline 20”s, love the look, best thing I did. Extremely happy.

Did you 20”ers “downgrade” from 21”? Looking for a more comfortable ride and unsure if going 20 or 19” is the better move.

No, I didn't downgrade, my car came with the standard 19" wheels -- I never had nor wanted 21" wheels. They're really prone to tire blowouts with potholes, and in some cases that will bend or crack the rim.

I used my 20" T-Sportline wheels with a summer tire set (Michelin Pilot Super Sport), and then used the 19" wheels for a winter tire set.

No, I didn't downgrade, my car came with the standard 19" wheels -- I never had nor wanted 21" wheels. They're really prone to tire blowouts with potholes, and in some cases that will bend or crack the rim.

I used my 20" T-Sportline wheels with a summer tire set (Michelin Pilot Super Sport), and then used the 19" wheels for a winter tire set.

Ditto. 20”s a nice compromise between looks and ride quality.

I picked up my new MS just before winter last year and found a set of OEM double spikes that I had powder coated gloss black. Put on some nokians and I was set for the winter. The look of these OEM wheels in black had grown on me and I love the ride on 19”. I would have damaged my wheels monthly if I was running 21” wheels. In fact I have a set of brand new arachnids sitting at my sc that I’ve decided this week to sell.

Loss of range, hassle of dealing with damaged wheels has made me pull the trigger to sell the Arachnids.

Leaning toward a set of BBS CHR 19x8 with the OEM type tires. Sure not as aggressive looking but ride quality, low risk of curb rash and damage are upsides!

Attachments

• 688D1D3E-6AC2-4128-8BD7-5C2EB76943C2.jpeg
    688D1D3E-6AC2-4128-8BD7-5C2EB76943C2.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 172
Bumping this old thread since I'm a soon to be Model S owner and am potentially thinking about switching out my wheels. Had a few questions for anyone who knows..

1. Any further thoughts from anyone about their TST 20" rims several months later?

2. If you go the TST route, is there any issue with your Tesla warranty to put on aftermarket rims?

I’ve been happy with mine for about 2 years now. They have not had any structural problems (cracks, bent rims) just some cosmetic curb rash which they seem prone to (like the oem cyclones) due to not being recessed behind the rubber sidewall like some rims are. No issue with warranty that I am aware of but most Tesla service centers don’t want to perform rotations etc with aftermarket wheels.

I picked up my new MS just before winter last year and found a set of OEM double spikes that I had powder coated gloss black. Put on some nokians and I was set for the winter. The look of these OEM wheels in black had grown on me and I love the ride on 19”. I would have damaged my wheels monthly if I was running 21” wheels. In fact I have a set of brand new arachnids sitting at my sc that I’ve decided this week to sell.

Loss of range, hassle of dealing with damaged wheels has made me pull the trigger to sell the Arachnids.

Leaning toward a set of BBS CHR 19x8 with the OEM type tires. Sure not as aggressive looking but ride quality, low risk of curb rash and damage are upsides!
The BBS CHR is a nice strong and light wheel... I recommend looking for the 20x9 size with 29mm offset :cool:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=CH129BPO&wheelMake=BBS&wheelModel=CH-R&wheelFinish=Black+w/Polished+Stainless+Lip&showRear=no&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+S&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=70D
upload_2018-4-5_19-38-59.png

Last edited: