Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" Snow Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that the 20" Helix wheels seem to have a cover (plastic?) over the lug nuts. Will that prevent corrosion (prevent salt/snow from coming in contact with the lug nuts) or speed up corrosion (trap salt/snow inside)? I guess it would depend if there is some kind of O-ring seal. Anyone know? I'll try to find out at my test drive next week (if they have the Helix wheels there).

I ordered the 19s and was glad they offered it in 19. That's a much better wheel if you are actually going to take a rough back country rutted road. Now I don't need to take my jeep out to go back country.

Low profiles look great but they are completly bizarre if you actually plan to ever use your fancy SUV for what it was supposedly actually designed to do. When I see a tricked out SUV on low profiles I know that rig will never see an unpaved road.

Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
I ordered the 19s and was glad they offered it in 19. That's a much better wheel if you are actually going to take a rough back country rutted road. Now I don't need to take my jeep out to go back country.

Low profiles look great but they are completly bizarre if you actually plan to ever use your fancy SUV for what it was supposedly actually designed to do. When I see a tricked out SUV on low profiles I know that rig will never see an unpaved road.

Do you have a picture of how the 19s look? I'm assuming they are 265/50/19.

For snow you want the smallest contact area possible. Deep snow requires carving and reducing the total area required to push snow out of the way. You should order the smallest rims that will fit properly over the brakes/rotors and the narrowest tires to fit your rims.

Frankly, 19 and 20" rims are too big, but the speedo/odometer will be off if you go too far from stock ratio.

I'd like to share my experience, so that other members can save time for winter tires for their Model X in Canada.
I'd also like to apologize to modelxancaster for being skeptical and making my own research instead of just copy/paste his own order :oops:

First off, i needed to find the right tire size.
But i started looking for the same 20' staggered setup that Tesla suggested. But it's hard to find and expensive and most tire garage will suggest a smaller tire for better snow grip.

That's when I realized that Tesla also suggested a 19' non-staggered setup on their webstore (265/50/19).
So I started to look around my local tire shops, but all they were suggesting was around 2800$.

Then I started browsing online tire shops and finally ended with the same order as modelxancaster with PMC tire (Canada Online Tires & Wheels for sale - PMCtire - Canada) :
- Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2. They are very well rated for snow/ice performance and comfort/noise. They have a deep thread and they have a high load rating (110 XL). Real important because the Model X is around 6000 pounds.
-19' alloy rims Replika R187. Don't try to find cheap, simple steel rims, they don't exist past 18 inch. And i checked the diameter and bolt pattern and it should fit the Model X perfectly
- 4 original Tesla Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor
- balancing, mounting and TPMS programming included
- Free shipping in Quebec
All for 2267.54$ CAD (don't forget to mention the Tesla Rebate (5%)
And modelxancaster was right ; I talked to Dominic and he's real helpful and offers a great service.

I've just received them yesterday. Now all I need to do is to install them on the car when the time is right. No worries, no fuss.

Here's a copy of the invoice (sorry it's in French) and a pic of what the tire/wheel looks like.

Hope it helps you guys out.

Attachments

• image-02-10-16-13-44.jpeg
    image-02-10-16-13-44.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 587
  • image-02-10-16-14-04.jpeg
    image-02-10-16-14-04.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Any info on the benefit of the LRR of the Michelin X-Ice vs the Blizzak?

Has anyone tried Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 in 20s?
They are cheap...
But It is only avail in 255/50/20 and 275/45/20. Not avail in 265/45/20.
As mentioned above, it got very good reviews on tirerack.
Plus my local store is Firestone so I would prefer to get the Blizzaks.

Trying to decide between running 255/50/20 or 275/45/20 in front with the Blizzaks despite the lack of LRR due to price.

Can anyone help explain the differences between the winter tires being sold for the Model X onTesla's online shop? Since they are all Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, is the price difference based on the look of the wheel and not function?

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of 19" vs 20"?

19" Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 19" Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package

20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package

20" Helix Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 20" Helix Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Reactions: hiroshiy
Smaller wheels usually allow more room for snow and sleet in the wheel arch, unless the manufacturer specifies constant outer diameter. If the OD is the same, and I have no idea if it is on Tesla's winter packages, then its just about taller and cheaper rubber for smaller wheels. Last I looked, Tire Rack eg rec 1 inch smaller winter set than your summer set.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Can anyone help explain the differences between the winter tires being sold for the Model X onTesla's online shop? Since they are all Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, is the price difference based on the look of the wheel and not function?

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of 19" vs 20"?

19" Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 19" Cyclone Wheel and Winter Tire Package

20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package

20" Helix Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Tesla — 20" Helix Wheel and Winter Tire Package
Mostly. Cyclone is not staggered and it is 19x8.5J. Cyclone for S was 19x8.0J so it is a bit wider to accommodate 265 tire width. Since with 19 wheels you will dig deeper into the snow with more flex on the sidewall, this would be the best performing set if the tires are the same.

Slipstream and Helix wheels are both staggered, and they have thinner sidewall which means tires look bigger, and the car looks more stylish. So with 20 inch wheels you lose a bit of snow performance, lose ability to rotate tires, and get better looks at significantly higher cost.

Edit: also, tire costs are different when you replace tires after you spent rubber on the winter set. Check out tirerack for more details. Generally speaking 19 is cheaper than 20.

The only difference between Slipstream and Helix is I think the design. The weight might be different though (the lighter the better electron economy).

Reactions: CSFTN
I see. Basically the 19" is better for driving in the snow but the downside is that it doesn't look as good as the 20", correct? Other than that, there isn't major advantages/disadvantages between the two? For example, one is more comfortable, one is quieter, one lasts longer, etc?

I see. Basically the 19" is better for driving in the snow but the downside is that it doesn't look as good as the 20", correct? Other than that, there isn't major advantages/disadvantages between the two? For example, one is more comfortable, one is quieter, one lasts longer, etc?
19 can have much cheaper tires, 19 is more comfortable, 19 is quieter, and tire life depends rather on tires than wheels.

Reactions: ModelX
19 can have much cheaper tires, 19 is more comfortable, 19 is quieter, and tire life depends rather on tires than wheels.
This begs the question, then, of why there isn't a 19" option for permanent year-round use, not just for winter tires. Adding to the reduced cost of the 19" option is the ability to rotate the tires (the 19s are symmetric) for increased tire life.

I'm in New Jersey which isn't exactly Canada but driving around on summer tires is probably suicide so I'm thinking of getting some winter tires. As I've always just used all-season tires in the past I have some questions.

Is it worth getting new wheels as well as tires?
Would I end up paying more long term for semi annual tire changes?

Costco has the
Bridgestone-Blizzak DM-V2
Tire Size: 275/45R20 110T
for $228 plus install

How do they compare to the Tesla tire package?

I did some brief on-line searching and it seemed the blizzacks were higher rated than the pirellis. I was happy with them on my previous SUV. Obviously it is easier to get the tesla tires so that they will swap out an take care of them; but not so tough that you shouldn't get what you want. I bought tesla 19 inch wheels and Nokian Hackas; Big O will service them.