Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" Snow Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the question on having a second set of wheels or just swapping tires:

Cost
- I think that $150 for 4 tire swap will be pretty typical considering the size of the wheels - so $300 per year to swap
- Assuming spending $1600 on a new set of rims with TPMS, that would be rims paid off in 5 1/2 years if you think that used rims are worth nothing - that will probably never be the case. Can you sell the rims later on CL for $150 each later or $600 - if you think that you can then that changes the payback

Storage
- Storing the wheels on tires takes up pretty much same space as just the wheels - there is a weight difference, but most storage racks are designed for the weight of wheels and tires

Flexibility
- If you find you have a leak but can limp home by refilling with an air pump, you could get by with swapping one or two wheels out before a repair - I have done this before and it really helped us out - most tire centers can fit you in very easily if you bring a unmounted wheel in for repair and the cost goes down for that as well. Last time I did this they fixed it for free, but hopefully this will never end up happening for anyone...
- You can change back and forth on your own whenever you want - no need schedule or bring in to tire shop or SC

Jack
- People jack heavy cars and 1/2 ton trucks all the time - 2 ton and 3 ton floor jacks are cheap and readily available. It always pays to be careful when jacking and use stands as necessary. If you are only jacking one corner of the car to change one wheel at a time then it should only take 10 minutes a wheel even if you are doing it in your driveway at home...

Reactions: JPUConn
I found some stock take off 20" wheels on E-bay - just went to Discount Tire here in MN and ordered the Blizzak DM-V2's - front 255/50 R20 rear 275/45 R20. I did the calculations and the overall diameter for the 255/50 is within .1 inches. Total cost for install tires taxes - not including TPMS - was ~$1000. Discount Tire will match prices for Tire Rack if you ask so that helped with the price. There is also a Bridgestone $70 rebate for winter tires (ends October 31st).

Discount did not have the TPMS in their system, so we had to purchase them from Tesla and then bring along and Discount will install the TPMS when putting the tires on (TPMS are $50 each from SC and they had in stock for pickup).

We'd have gone with non-staggered 19's, but after spending some time on the forum, it seemed like there were still some questions about reliability of aftermarket wheels. Because we ordered our X with the 20's we decided that it would be good to have a second set of wheels that are the same as the stock wheels we have as it will give us more flexibility in the future.
Did this fit?
My Firestone installer refused when he saw the front clearance.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Yes, mounted and fit on wheel fine - I'm guessing you are talking about the front wheel / tire clearance to the fender-well? I picked them up but it is warm here so have not put them on. I'll mount a front tire this weekend and then take some pictures of the wheel to fender clearance. I guess I'm not too worried about it just looking at the mounted tires for the front - remember that people are installing chains on the OEM tire diameters so there is clearance there. That said using the DM-V2 up front in this size would preclude using chains over the snow tires, but that is not an issue for us where we live.

• Helpful
I finally got an answer back from the local SC. Set the pressure for the 19 inch wheels and snow tires to 45 psig.

I would have thought that the front and rear would have been different since they are the same not staggered but guess not.

Just returned from the service center with new info. I was able to talk with the tech that will install the snow tires and he showed me the service manual page appropriate to tire pressures:

Model X
20 inch summer tires 42 psig
20 inch all season 45 psig
19 inch winter 42 psig

Since it was out of the service manual this is what we should be using.

Yes, mounted and fit on wheel fine - I'm guessing you are talking about the front wheel / tire clearance to the fender-well? I picked them up but it is warm here so have not put them on. I'll mount a front tire this weekend and then take some pictures of the wheel to fender clearance. I guess I'm not too worried about it just looking at the mounted tires for the front - remember that people are installing chains on the OEM tire diameters so there is clearance there. That said using the DM-V2 up front in this size would preclude using chains over the snow tires, but that is not an issue for us where we live.

Yes. My Firestone installer was concerned when looking at both the fender and the suspension that the taller 255 tire might rub. So I returned them to tire rack at my cost. Got the pirelli in stock sizes instead.

• Helpful
I'm in the same boat. I expect to take the delivery of X in this winter and as I live in Tokyo I really don't need winter tires but I'd like to go to some snowy places.
My order is 20 inch helix wheels and I need to think I purchase another 20 inch rims or 19 inch Cyclone rims. The issue is that I like Blizzaks (they are really good BTW) and they don't have an appropriate size for 20 inch front. It is very helpful @G77P tries 255/50R20, if that fits well I would like to take that route and unmount factory tires and put DM-V2's on the 20 inch wheels.
Does 19 inch Cyclone look good on X? DM-V2s have that size too.

I believe most are having trouble with some of 20 inch winter tires which are staggered. Finding tires to fit the 19 inch winter rims which are all the same size is relatively easy. I just ordered a set of Nokian R2's that will arrive this week.

Why would anyone order a Winter Tire/Wheel combo from Tesla when you can get a cheaper/nicer set from TireRack.com? They will install the TPMS sensors, mount the tires, balance the wheels and send them directly to you. You also have more choices in your selection of tires, wheels, and sizing. I'm all in with a nice set of black wheels and Pirelli Scorpions (staggered sizing) for about $2350 delivered:

255/45R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Winter XL (Fronts)
20x8.5 KMC KM696 Pivot BLK PAINT (Fronts)

275/45R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Winter XL (Rears)
20x9.5 KMC KM696 Pivot BLK PAINT (Rears)

433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors

Thanks EvanEvery for the tirerack suggestion. That looks like the way to go. Have you installed the tires yet. One last question.

The Tirerack website recommends Pirelli 265/50R19 but you went with the 20in 255/275 tires. Why?

Why would anyone order a Winter Tire/Wheel combo from Tesla when you can get a cheaper/nicer set from TireRack.com? They will install the TPMS sensors, mount the tires, balance the wheels and send them directly to you. You also have more choices in your selection of tires, wheels, and sizing. I'm all in with a nice set of black wheels and Pirelli Scorpions (staggered sizing) for about $2350 delivered:

433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors
Because most folks here aren't "car" people and are either too busy, or too lazy, to learn about tire and rim sizing and find it's just easier and less scary to order a pre-configured package that eliminates the need to worry about such things. Tesla telling people they won't support after market wheels doen't help things either.

Because most folks here aren't "car" people and are either too busy, or too lazy, to learn about tire and rim sizing and find it's just easier and less scary to order a pre-configured package that eliminates the need to worry about such things. Tesla telling people they won't support after-market wheels doesn't help things either.
Also, it's a new vehicle and options are still a bit limited. In a year, I'm sure there will be more availability and it'll be easier to find compatible solutions.

I put one DM-V2 Bilzzak 255/50R20 wheel and tire on the front this weekend - I took a bunch of pics will post tonight once I download off my phone. Summary is that they fit fine with plenty of clearance everywhere (I did check full steering lock in both direction as well as clearance to suspension components). My definition of good clearance is that my fingers can fit up to the knuckles of my hand everywhere around. Hope that helps people.... pics to come soon.

Front 20 side by side.jpg
Front 20 Blizzak susp clearance.jpg
Front 20 Latitude susp clearance.jpg

Attachments

• Front 20 Latitude susp clearance.jpg
    Front 20 Latitude susp clearance.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Front 20 Blizzak susp clearance.jpg
    Front 20 Blizzak susp clearance.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 69
I bought a second set of original wheels on eBay for my 2013 S85 and had Nokian R2s put on them which worked great. But for the X I'm thinking to streamline things by getting the Nokian WRG3 all-seasons which are highly rated for snow and also wet stops. Plus avoid the hassle of buying and then changing wheels twice a year, storing etc. anyone tried the WRG3s?

The X is a VERY heavy vehicle. Just make sure the tires you buy are rated for the load, 110, and wheels are rated for the extra weight and the offset is correct.

I paid Tesla for $2800 for my 19 inch winter set installed and was happy to offload the technical details to Tesla.

Ron
Retired PE

PS My winter tires were installed a few days ago and so far I am happy with them. I might buy a set of 19 inch wheels to put all seasons on for the rest of the year. I would love to get rid of the staggered set up I currently have.