Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs 20" Snow Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The X is a VERY heavy vehicle. Just make sure the tires you buy are rated for the load, 110, and wheels are rated for the extra weight and the offset is correct.
To be specific, the TM 19 inxh winter wheels for the MX are 19 x 8.5 with a 35 mm offset. The wrong offset on the front can cause trouble with the suspension. Other offsets might work, but using the 35 mm to match Tesla would be the safest bet.

The X is a VERY heavy vehicle. Just make sure the tires you buy are rated for the load, 110, and wheels are rated for the extra weight and the offset is correct.

I paid Tesla for $2800 for my 19 inch winter set installed and was happy to offload the technical details to Tesla.

Ron
Retired PE

PS My winter tires were installed a few days ago and so far I am happy with them. I might buy a set of 19 inch wheels to put all seasons on for the rest of the year. I would love to get rid of the staggered set up I currently have.

I used Nokian's selector and the dealer checked while we were on the phone this afternoon. WRG3 SUV type, with
rear: 275/45R20 110 V XL up to 149 mph, max load 2340 lb
front: 255/45R20 105 V XL up to 149 mph, max load 2039 lb

Nokian WRG3 SUV - Winter Tires / Nokian Tires

Reactions: goneskiian

I just installed my 19' Blizzak DM-V2 with those Replika R187.
I works perfectly, here's what it looks like on the car.
IMG_2641-15-11-16-13-59.jpeg

The tires feel great. Low noise, great handling. Can't wait to try them on snow conditions.

BTW make sure you order the Tesla TPMS to be installed on your winter tires. PMC Tire thought that generic TPMS with a Tesla programmation would work, but my Model X wasn't able to "pair" with them. Been having "TPMS needs servicing" message the whole week.

So I ordered the original set of TPMS valves from Tesla yesterday. Already received them today!
And PMC Tire will fully refund the generic TPMS. It's really fun to have great service both from Tesla and PMC Tire!

Last edited:
I bought a second set of original wheels on eBay for my 2013 S85 and had Nokian R2s put on them which worked great. But for the X I'm thinking to streamline things by getting the Nokian WRG3 all-seasons which are highly rated for snow and also wet stops. Plus avoid the hassle of buying and then changing wheels twice a year, storing etc. anyone tried the WRG3s?

I've used WRG3's on other vehicles and I know @Lyon has them on an X currently. For the "sorta" winter we get in the PNW where it's mostly rain with occassional trips to the mountains for snow fun they work great.

I prefer to keep them for winter and put summer tires on when appropriate but these work great year round too.

I've used WRG3's on other vehicles and I know @Lyon has them on an X currently. For the "sorta" winter we get in the PNW where it's mostly rain with occassional trips to the mountains for snow fun they work great.

I prefer to keep them for winter and put summer tires on when appropriate but these work great year round too.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably put the Goodyears back on next spring and drive them until they wear out.

Reactions: Rossy
Because most folks here aren't "car" people and are either too busy, or too lazy, to learn about tire and rim sizing and find it's just easier and less scary to order a pre-configured package that eliminates the need to worry about such things. Tesla telling people they won't support after market wheels doen't help things either.

TireRack will tell you EXACTLY what fits the Model X (or model S). You don't have to be a "Car Person" to buy tires/wheels through Tire Rack. The salespeople are very knowledgeable and efficient in ensuring that what you order will fit and perform properly... They even made sure I had TPMS (tire pressure) sensors preinstalled which worked correctly with my Model X right out of the box...

...and they will send the premounted tires/wheels directly to YOU. You don't have to visit a Service Center at all!

Better service, more options, perfect fit, more convenient, less expensive!

Reactions: Rossy
I just installed my 19' Blizzak DM-V2 with those Replika R187.
I works perfectly, here's what it looks like on the car.
View attachment 202418

The tires feel great. Low noise, great handling. Can't wait to try them on snow conditions.

BTW make sure you order the Tesla TPMS to be installed on your winter tires. PMC Tire thought that generic TPMS with a Tesla programmation would work, but my Model X wasn't able to "pair" with them. Been having "TPMS needs servicing" message the whole week.

So I ordered the original set of TPMS valves from Tesla yesterday. Already received them today!
And PMC Tire will fully refund the generic TPMS. It's really fun to have great service both from Tesla and PMC Tire!

If you ordered your wheels and tires from Tire Rack, they would have pre-installed TPMS sensors which are compatible with your Model X. There is no magic here. I put my winter set on yesterday and the TPMS sensors were detected by the car in about 5 miles of driving. I didn't have to do anything. They just worked as installed. No need to get overpriced TPMS sensors from Tesla and then have my wheels dismounted, tires taken off, TPMS sensors switched/reinstalled, tires remounted, tires rebalanced, and wheels reinstalled...

Tire Rack got it right in the first place!

Here's a shot of the Tires/Wheels I got from Tire Rack. IMHO - The Pirelli Scorpions are better suited for winter driving on the Model X then the Blizzaks. I have Blizzaks on my truck, but the Scorpions are more of a higher performance winter tire for SPORT Utility vehicles:

255/45R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Winter XL (Fronts)
20x8.5 KMC KM696 Pivot BLK PAINT (Fronts)

275/45R-20 Pirelli Scorpion Winter XL (Rears)
20x9.5 KMC KM696 Pivot BLK PAINT (Rears)

433MHz Tire Pressure Sensors

($2350 Mounted, Balance, with New Lug Nuts and (2!) Removal Sockets, Delivered from Tire Rack)

Thanks EvanEvery for the tirerack suggestion. That looks like the way to go. Have you installed the tires yet. One last question.

The Tirerack website recommends Pirelli 265/50R19 but you went with the 20in 255/275 tires. Why?

20" wheels provided more wheel/tire options than the 19" fitment. Yes, I have these installed (see photo above). Fitment is perfect and the pre-installed TPMS sensors worked "right out of the box". You can also get these in a "square" fitment (255's front/rear) but I prefer the fitment/look of a "staggered" setup (255 front / 275 Rear). Any of the sales people at TireRack (888-541-1777) can help you but I've been working with Mason x4692 for a couple of years now... (I have winter wheel/tire combo's for all my vehicles and also order racing tires for my BMW M4 regularly) He can tell you EXACTLY what will fit for your Model X and help understand the various options!

Quick update, I put on the DM-V2 Bilzzak's last night, with no issues (255/50R20 up front 275/45 R20 rear on E-bay 20" OEM wheels), and I'm very happy with the way the car drives in the cold and rain. No issues with TPMS (automatically paired no buttons to push - but I bought the Tesla TPMS). SC said we'd need to bring back to have TPMS paired, but that is not the case. Very happy with ride, handling and also the noise - seems to be as quiet as OEM 20" Michelin Latitude. I suspect that we will get slightly worse WH/mile but will check on that over time. Set pressure to 44PSI cold @ 45F.

Install was easy with 2 ton floor jack - jack points are easy to locate - make sure to use "jack mode" in suspension settings.

I can't make a direct comparison to the Pirelli Scorpion winter tires as I've never driven a car with them, but I've always had good luck with Blizzak and have found them to be a good or better then other brands in the past, so it may just come down to individual preference, price, shipping costs, and availability. Bring on the snow...

TireRack will tell you EXACTLY what fits the Model X (or model S). You don't have to be a "Car Person" to buy tires/wheels through Tire Rack. The salespeople are very knowledgeable and efficient in ensuring that what you order will fit and perform properly... They even made sure I had TPMS (tire pressure) sensors preinstalled which worked correctly with my Model X right out of the box...

...and they will send the premounted tires/wheels directly to YOU. You don't have to visit a Service Center at all!

Better service, more options, perfect fit, more convenient, less expensive!
Touché. I was looking at their online configurator and for the Model X they list 3 different tire/wheel size combinations. If you just try and order online then you'd have to know what size wheel/tire you have and also what size wheel/tire you want. Which may confuse some people.

I have no doubt that if you call them they can walk you through all of this easily enough. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers!

If you ordered your wheels and tires from Tire Rack, they would have pre-installed TPMS sensors which are compatible with your Model X. There is no magic here. I put my winter set on yesterday and the TPMS sensors were detected by the car in about 5 miles of driving. I didn't have to do anything. They just worked as installed. No need to get overpriced TPMS sensors from Tesla and then have my wheels dismounted, tires taken off, TPMS sensors switched/reinstalled, tires remounted, tires rebalanced, and wheels reinstalled...

Tire Rack got it right in the first place!

@evanevery -- when you installed your new wheels with the new TPMS sensors for the first time, did the car pick up the sensors automatically without the need for you to do anything other than driving ~ 5 miles? Model S owners have stated here that they have an option in the Settings menu to "Reset TPMS." However, my X does not have this option, and I am assuming yours would not either.

My Tesla service center is telling me that they need to program my new set of TPMS sensors, and this will cost $150 (only for programming; sensors are $200). Are they lying to me just to make money?

If you have an X and you purchase wheels and an extra set of Tesla OEM TPMS sensors they will activate on their own after driving a few miles or over a certain speed (~45 MPH) even with firmware 8+. There are no buttons to push: they register themselves. The Tesla service center told me that I'd have to come back as well (as I noted in my earlier post in this thread) but they either did not know or they just wanted the $$$ for the service visit - I'm guessing they want the $$$. I can't speak about the Tire Rack or any other non OEM sensor. The Tesla OEM sensors were $200 for 4 plus tax, and they had the silver color valve stems as well as black color so make sure you ask for the color you want. The tire installer had no issues installing the OEM Tesla sensors.

• Helpful
Reactions: NJ Plugin
@evanevery -- when you installed your new wheels with the new TPMS sensors for the first time, did the car pick up the sensors automatically without the need for you to do anything other than driving ~ 5 miles? Model S owners have stated here that they have an option in the Settings menu to "Reset TPMS." However, my X does not have this option, and I am assuming yours would not either.

My Tesla service center is telling me that they need to program my new set of TPMS sensors, and this will cost $150 (only for programming; sensors are $200). Are they lying to me just to make money?

Nothing required. Just mounted the wheels and tires and after driving about 5 miles the car re-learned the new sensors and positions. You don't need to buy Te$la TPMS sensors, and you don't have to pay a Te$la tech anything to have them reset and/or calibrated. The wheels/tires/sensors I ordered from Tire Rack worked right out of the box. I simply jacked up each corner of the car with a floor jack and replaced the wheels/tires one by one... All done. No magic.