Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" vs. 20" wheels/tires -- comfort difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an MYLR w/ 19 inch wheels on order but have only been able to find the MYLR with 20 inch wheels to demo.
For those who have experience with driving the vehicle with both tire sizes, do you find the 19" tires to deliver a notably more comfortable ride?

I have an order in for a 2023 MYLR and really want to follow through with it but am struggling with whether the stiffness of the suspension will work for me. I've now taken several test drives of the '23 MYLR, including an almost full day with one that is configured like the one I've ordered ('23 MYLR, 19" tires). In short, I am still finding that the motion over bumps and uneven surfaces is making the driving experience unappealing and annoying at times.
I'm wondering if one's perception of MYLR ride quality improves over time, i.e. do you tend to adjust to the ride characteristics such that it becomes less of a concern?

My experience has been with my 2020 LRMY with the 19" wheels and OE Continental ProContact RX tires. Tires break in, establish a consistent tread wear pattern over the first ~500 to 1000 miles. The suspension became slightly softer over the first ~3,000 miles. I experimented with setting the tire pressure +/- the Tesla recommended 42 PSI (settled on 44 PSI). At almost 3 years/12,500 miles I continue to notice a rough ride (some of the time.) I attribute this to crappy local roads I drive every day and variations in ambient temperature. The temperature has a large impact on the ride with the best ride only happening when the temperature is at or above 70F.

I have an MYLR w/ 19 inch wheels on order but have only been able to find the MYLR with 20 inch wheels to demo.
For those who have experience with driving the vehicle with both tire sizes, do you find the 19" tires to deliver a notably more comfortable ride?

I have aftermarket 18” winter tires, factory 19” Geminis, and 21” Überturbines. The weight difference between them is substantial; my winter 18’s weigh about 45 lbs each compared to 70 lbs for the 21” Übers. I was really surprised how little the difference in ride was between them.

I found tire pressure to have a much bigger effect on ride quality. Lowering to 36 PSI made far more of an impact than switching between 21” and 18” wheels.

Reactions: holmgang
The 23 MYLR is a bouncy ride, especially at lower speeds. It's better than the older suspension in some ways, but worse on others.

The 23 MYP seems like mostly pros vs the older suspension. Perhaps because it was very harsh with minimal bounce?

I have a 21 MYLR and although it's pretty harsh on rough streets, it at least feels planted. I will be getting 255/45/20s next time to take the edge off.

Since writing my previous post in this thread, I switched back to my Überturbines after it looked like winter was in the rearview. They were at 42 PSI, and the ride was noticeably more jarring than my Geminis at 36 PSI.

Air the Übers down to 37 PSI, and the ride is nearly identical. It’s tough for me tell the difference between my 19s and 21s at 36-37 PSI. I stand by my thoughts above that pressure > wheel size.

The contact patch also looks better because the full width of the tread is touching the ground. This is at 42 and 37 PSI, respectively:

IMG_2783.jpegIMG_2786.jpeg

Since writing my previous post in this thread, I switched back to my Überturbines after it looked like winter was in the rearview. They were at 42 PSI, and the ride was noticeably more jarring than my Geminis at 36 PSI.

Air the Übers down to 37 PSI, and the ride is nearly identical. It’s tough for me tell the difference between my 19s and 21s at 36-37 PSI. I stand by my thoughts above that pressure > wheel size.

The contact patch also looks better because the full width of the tread is touching the ground. This is at 42 and 37 PSI, respectively:

View attachment 928596View attachment 928597
Just re-confirming - the contact patch for 37psi was better than the ones for 42?

I ordered 20” wheels from TSportline to replace the Ubers on my 23 MYP. Honestly, I don’t notice a difference in the ride. With the new suspension and the Michelin all seasons the 21” Ubers rode surprisingly well. Now I just don’t worry about pot holes nearly as much. And, as someone else posted here, my 20’s weigh about 10lbs less per wheel than the 21” Ubers.

Reactions: TomB985
I think I'll play with this, I drive 80 miles a day, and should be able to get some acurate figures on range with various tire pressures.

Like I've said before, the ride of my MYP vs. my X3 M40i is much smoother, I really can't complain. But I like experiments, so I'll play with the pressure a bit. I also have a set of 20s that I'm going to rotate in soon to try as well.

Reactions: JohnB007
I'll be interested to see how it affects range as well.

Looks like the car is smart enough to make a good guess. Out of 17.3% of my consumed battery, I lost 0.3% to tire pressure after a 40-mile trip at highway speeds. Multiplying that out, it’s a 1.8% loss in efficiency, all other things being equal. My tire pressures were between 36-38 for the entire drive.

1681841114329.jpeg