TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

19" wheels & all-season tires

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by qadaemon, Mar 17, 2017.

1. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

I'm getting close to needing new tires, so I'm thinking out loud. The 20" contisilents have been reasonable, but I was wondering if the 19" cyclones with some tire of equivalent circumference would have any benefits. Tesla sells them as a winter tire rim for the X, so I assume the size is close enough. Additional sidewall could give a more comfortable ride, but how would it affect towing capacity, range, and noise? The 22" loaners I've driven have been terrible at everything I care about but looks, would going the other direction just look worse but behave better?

I'm going to ask the SC for an official answer, but everyone here tends to have more detailed information.

2. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

Big advantage in my mind is that the 19" rims are symmetric. You can then install identical tires on all 4 rims and rotate for greater tread life.
    The 19s are supposed to get better efficiency, but at least one person on the forum reported no discernable improvement.
    I'm likely doing the same thing when my 20s wear out.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Are the X 19's the same as the S 19's?

4. Yinn

Yinn Member

They're different.
    The S 19's are slipstreams, 19x8.0 (top)
    The X 19's are cyclones, 19x8.5 (bottom)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

There's no reason you couldn't use the S 19's though. Unless, for some odd reason, they've got a much lower load rating.

6. GottaGetRidOfICE

I'm going to put my 20" performance tires back on my P90D X in the next few weeks, but am curious if anyone found a 19" summer/all-season alternative that works for the X. I much prefer the ride of the 19" on NJ's potholes. I'm disappointed to have to "waste" a set of rims eventually when the 20" tires wear out.

7. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

I own a set of Tesla 19 inch snow tires and wheels. When my summer tires on the 20 inch rims wear out I plan on buying an additional set of 19s for summer. I still don't know if I will go summer tires or all seasons. The selection in the 19 inch size with the 110 load rating is quite good for both summer and all season. An example below.

It is bad enough not having a spare tire, have a staggered setup is ridiculous. I plan on an 1800 mile trip next month on the 20s and I will be throwing a 19 inch snow tire/wheel in the back, just in case.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Latitude+Tour+HP&partnum=65VR9LTHPXLN0&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2016&autoModel=Model%20X%20P90D&autoModClar=255%2F45-20F%20275%2F45-20R