Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" wheels & all-season tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting close to needing new tires, so I'm thinking out loud. The 20" contisilents have been reasonable, but I was wondering if the 19" cyclones with some tire of equivalent circumference would have any benefits. Tesla sells them as a winter tire rim for the X, so I assume the size is close enough. Additional sidewall could give a more comfortable ride, but how would it affect towing capacity, range, and noise? The 22" loaners I've driven have been terrible at everything I care about but looks, would going the other direction just look worse but behave better?

I'm going to ask the SC for an official answer, but everyone here tends to have more detailed information.

Big advantage in my mind is that the 19" rims are symmetric. You can then install identical tires on all 4 rims and rotate for greater tread life.
The 19s are supposed to get better efficiency, but at least one person on the forum reported no discernable improvement.
I'm likely doing the same thing when my 20s wear out.

Are the X 19's the same as the S 19's?

They're different.
The S 19's are slipstreams, 19x8.0 (top)
The X 19's are cyclones, 19x8.5 (bottom)

19-Slipstream---Pirelli-Sottozero-3_EDIT_1024x1024.JPG

19-Cyclone---Pirelli-Scorpion_1024x1024.jpg

I'm going to put my 20" performance tires back on my P90D X in the next few weeks, but am curious if anyone found a 19" summer/all-season alternative that works for the X. I much prefer the ride of the 19" on NJ's potholes. I'm disappointed to have to "waste" a set of rims eventually when the 20" tires wear out.

I own a set of Tesla 19 inch snow tires and wheels. When my summer tires on the 20 inch rims wear out I plan on buying an additional set of 19s for summer. I still don't know if I will go summer tires or all seasons. The selection in the 19 inch size with the 110 load rating is quite good for both summer and all season. An example below.

It is bad enough not having a spare tire, have a staggered setup is ridiculous. I plan on an 1800 mile trip next month on the 20s and I will be throwing a 19 inch snow tire/wheel in the back, just in case.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel X P90D&autoModClar=255/45-20F 275/45-20R

@bikeandsail and @qadaemon did either of you go through with purchasing 19" wheels and all-season tires for your X? If so what kind of tires did you go with? I'm also confused on why @Solarman004 is saying that on the 19" wheels you don't need to go with the 'staggered' setup vs. having to do so with the 20" wheels on the X. I don't doubt it - but why is this the case? Anyone know? PS what would stop you from simply not staggering the 20" wheels and putting the same exact 20" on the front as on the rear for that matter?

Thanks - not an expert on tires/wheels/sizes/etc over here. Any help you all have is appreciated.

@bikeandsail and @qadaemon did either of you go through with purchasing 19" wheels and all-season tires for your X? If so what kind of tires did you go with? I'm also confused on why @Solarman004 is saying that on the 19" wheels you don't need to go with the 'staggered' setup vs. having to do so with the 20" wheels on the X. I don't doubt it - but why is this the case? Anyone know? PS what would stop you from simply not staggering the 20" wheels and putting the same exact 20" on the front as on the rear for that matter?

Thanks - not an expert on tires/wheels/sizes/etc over here. Any help you all have is appreciated.

The 19 inch set up offered as snow tires/wheels from Tesla fits and has the required ratings. The 20 inch staggered setup: the rear tires won't fit on the front and the front tires do not have the load rating for the back.

did buy a second set of wheels/tires but I will carry a spare mounted wheel (front) or snow on long trips and will mount the non rated front on the back if required due to a tire failure.

The staggered setup for what is basically a family vehicle is ridiculously poor engineering.

The 19 inch set up offered as snow tires/wheels from Tesla fits and has the required ratings. The 20 inch staggered setup: the rear tires won't fit on the front and the front tires do not have the load rating for the back.

did buy a second set of wheels/tires but I will carry a spare mounted wheel (front) or snow on long trips and will mount the non rated front on the back if required due to a tire failure.

The staggered setup for what is basically a family vehicle is ridiculously poor engineering.

Correction to above, I did NOT buy a set of 19 inch summer tires/wheels. But will carry a mounted spare on long trips.

I'm also confused on why @Solarman004 is saying that on the 19" wheels you don't need to go with the 'staggered' setup vs. having to do so with the 20" wheels on the X. I don't doubt it - but why is this the case?
Mark, staggered setups are usually used to give improved handling. I'm guessing this is the case with the MX 20" wheels & tires. In the front, the gap between tire and suspension is tight. A 20" rear wheel/tire, if mounted in the front, will rub against the suspension. This has been verified by folks posting here when their wheels were mistakenly rotated front to rear.
The 19" setup offered by Tesla has a diameter and width that allows one wheel/tire size to fit both front and back.
Since my original post, I had a Ranger visit for the brake caliper recall, and talked to him about the 19" year-round option. His reply was conservative as expected: "the MX was engineered for the 20s and 22s to optimize handling and stability. The 19" setup is not recommended for year-round use."
I still have about 4000 miles before I have to make a decision on sticking with staggered 20s, or changing to 19s. The good news is that all 4 of my tires are wearing evenly, so there would be no advantage to rotating the current set.

Thanks @Solarman004 and @bikeandsail for the thoughts. I’m really trying to figure out two things: what new tire should I buy once mine wear out in a couple months for daily use (20”) without spending a fortune. And for road trips is there a 19” option that is more efficient and yields more range. If there is a set of 19” winter wheels and tires that fit the car and support the weight rating .... but is too rough on the road (due to winter tread) so does not help efficiency ... I have got to imagine there is a set of tires that is all season that also supports the weight rating and might boost efficiency for road trips.

I doubt anyone has gone down this path yet but wanted to poke around.

As for replacement 20” that are not crazy expensive and last a while folks have suggested Yokohama Parada Spec-X. Thinking about giving those a try.

I have an 90D Model X, and pull a horse trailer up 5000 ft from Phoenix to the New Mexico mountains. We have just made, or missed (on two occasions), making it to the superchargers. Gaining 3-5% would really help - especially when the head winds pick up. I am thinking of buying used Model S aero rims and putting them on the Model X. It would make the trips possible without unbelievable extra efforts. The used Model S rims are 19" and I currently have 20" rims on my X. Has anyone done this? Can anyone inform me about the safety of doing this? Are there any other issues, such as load rating that would make this a bad idea?

Thanks for your help.

I have an 90D Model X, and pull a horse trailer up 5000 ft from Phoenix to the New Mexico mountains. We have just made, or missed (on two occasions), making it to the superchargers. Gaining 3-5% would really help - especially when the head winds pick up. I am thinking of buying used Model S aero rims and putting them on the Model X. It would make the trips possible without unbelievable extra efforts. The used Model S rims are 19" and I currently have 20" rims on my X. Has anyone done this? Can anyone inform me about the safety of doing this? Are there any other issues, such as load rating that would make this a bad idea?

Thanks for your help.

I think that’s a very bad idea if you can’t find the load rating; especially if you’re going to be towing a horse trailer. It’s pretty much going to be at the load limit.

Thanks for your help.
Robert, I was wondering if you tried it? I have a set of 19" with snow tires from my S I would like to use on my X minus pulling the horse trailer. I would just like to use them as winter tires on my 100D X.

Thanks

Trey