Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" wheels and tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is the 245 width that comes with 19"s enough traction for the S? it's unfortunate that they package it with an 8" wheel that maxes out at 245mm
what i don't understand is why they use 8.5 on the 3 wheels and put skinny 235mm, why not make the S wheels 8.5 also and put 265mm on them
most other cars with this type of performance use wider than 245's in the back
thoughts?

I'm assuming the narrower tires gain more range, less rolling resistance, weight, etc.

As for traction, I think 245 is sufficient due to it being AWD, electronically controlled, etc. This is my assumption, as I've never heard of anyone having traction issues. I don't have 19's, I happen to have 21 staggered wheels, so that is my only real world experience.

It seems like wider tires have always been an option, just have to pay when you purchase new, for the optional 21's.

I run both 21” staggered most the year that are quite wide and the factory 19” slipstreams over the colder months. Traction is a non issue in a dual motor S with either setup and there are pros and cons to both.