TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

19" wheels and tires

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jebs2k, Nov 14, 2019.

1. jebs2k

jebs2k Member

is the 245 width that comes with 19"s enough traction for the S? it's unfortunate that they package it with an 8" wheel that maxes out at 245mm
    what i don't understand is why they use 8.5 on the 3 wheels and put skinny 235mm, why not make the S wheels 8.5 also and put 265mm on them
    most other cars with this type of performance use wider than 245's in the back
    thoughts?

2. Zishan

Zishan Member

I'm assuming the narrower tires gain more range, less rolling resistance, weight, etc.

As for traction, I think 245 is sufficient due to it being AWD, electronically controlled, etc. This is my assumption, as I've never heard of anyone having traction issues. I don't have 19's, I happen to have 21 staggered wheels, so that is my only real world experience.

It seems like wider tires have always been an option, just have to pay when you purchase new, for the optional 21's.

3. TSLC

TSLC Member

I run both 21” staggered most the year that are quite wide and the factory 19” slipstreams over the colder months. Traction is a non issue in a dual motor S with either setup and there are pros and cons to both.