Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Wheels for 2022 Model X refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2022 Model X refresh with 20" wheels, delivered April 2022. I want to increase the range. Is there a lighter weight 19" wheel available that can fit the refresh, and if so, is it safe to use a 8.5" width wheel/tire on both front and back?
What kind of range are you getting now?
I would be reluctant to move away from the factory specs. The wheels were chosen for good performance and safety considering the weight and power of the vehicle, and conditions it might experience. I submit the tires you choose are far more important than the weight of the wheels. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to compare manufacturer specifications that relate to energy efficiency, particularly between vendors.

FWIW, the Model X Driving Dynamics thread is probably a better place for this discussion.

I don't know of any 19s, but I do know that there are lighter 20s out there.

For example: 20" Tesla Wheels - Model X Long Range & Plaid (October 2021 - Present)
I am new to the forum and just researching around before deciding which Tesla my wife and I will be buying. It will most likely be the Model X. So just curious if you know or does anyone else know how much more range will be increased by going with those wheels in your link? The middle wheels say they weigh 29.8lbs which is really good isn’t that over 10lbs+ less then the factory 20” wheels? How much more range would you get by reducing 40lbs total of unstrung mass right at the wheels? I am guess what maybe another 25+ miles?? is there any posts where people have tested this? Thanks

Check out Litespeed Racing. I'm planning on getting their RS5 19's for our MX and also for my MS to share 1 set of aero covers for road trips. Should be about 22 lb in forged aluminum, 19 lbs in magnesium (for MX; 17-18 lb for MS). Though they say 18 lb for the 20's, maybe I'll get 20's for both.

Check out Litespeed Racing. I'm planning on getting their RS5 19's for our MX and also for my MS to share 1 set of aero covers for road trips. Should be about 22 lb in forged aluminum, 19 lbs in magnesium (for MX; 17-18 lb for MS). Though they say 18 lb for the 20's, maybe I'll get 20's for both.
Wow awesome looking wheel thanks for posting I will definitely consider those! I still wonder if anyone has done any real world testing with lighter weight wheels and how much more range they got Or is there some kind of calculation of lower weight equals this much range increase? Just curious

Reactions: childcarepro
What kind of range are you getting now?
I would be reluctant to move away from the factory specs. The wheels were chosen for good performance and safety considering the weight and power of the vehicle, and conditions it might experience. I submit the tires you choose are far more important than the weight of the wheels. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to compare manufacturer specifications that relate to energy efficiency, particularly between vendors.

FWIW, the Model X Driving Dynamics thread is probably a better place for this discussion.

Any quality wheel will be load tested and certified. Tesla wheels are notorious for bending and breaking and they definitely do not have our best interests at heart.

Wow awesome looking wheel thanks for posting I will definitely consider those! I still wonder if anyone has done any real world testing with lighter weight wheels and how much more range they got Or is there some kind of calculation of lower weight equals this much range increase? Just curious
Watch this:

The short version is:
1. the lighter the wheel, the less rotational inertia, so less energy to accelerate -> better city range
2. aero covers should reduce turbulent air flow -> better highway range

Any engineers that can answer this? It seems to me that beyond just a lighter wheel, smaller wheel diameter should matter d/t how length of torque arm. Am I way off base?

Any quality wheel will be load tested and certified. Tesla wheels are notorious for bending and breaking and they definitely do not have our best interests at heart.
Seems like a broad generalization from one data point, and inconsistent with my experience. 1) I've never had bent or broken wheels, and 2) I've been in two major accidents in two 2018 MX's where the MX's were totaled, and wife and I walked away with just bruises and airbag burns. Their continuing crash testing and tweaking of their software suggests the opposite is true.

Seems like a broad generalization from one data point, and inconsistent with my experience. 1) I've never had bent or broken wheels, and 2) I've been in two major accidents in two 2018 MX's where the MX's were totaled, and wife and I walked away with just bruises and airbag burns. Their continuing crash testing and tweaking of their software suggests the opposite is true.

I've never had any bent Tesla wheels myself but I've seen plenty come through the shop though.

I've never had any bent Tesla wheels myself but I've seen plenty come through the shop though.
What kind of numbers (how many per month) are we talking? Have you seen a pattern of what cars and what size wheels are getting bent? Is it possible that a combination of very low profile tires, a whole lot of rotational inertia, and an extra 1000 lbs of weight compared to similar sedans could contribute to that? If it's as many MY's and MX's as the sedans, there goes my theory, as the SUVs are no heavier than their ICE counterparts (my 2022 MX is 400 lb lighter than my Mercedes GL, though it is slightly smaller).

I run 19" Model S aero covered rims in a square setup (same size on all 4) for my winter tires. Cheaper rubber and can rotate front to rear for wear. Don't notice a handling difference as it's cold and there is snow and ice. Range is DOWN but it's cold and winters are a grippy rubber that doesn't roll as easy. Would do it again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pricedm
I run 19" Model S aero covered rims in a square setup (same size on all 4) for my winter tires. Cheaper rubber and can rotate front to rear for wear. Don't notice a handling difference as it's cold and there is snow and ice. Range is DOWN but it's cold and winters are a grippy rubber that doesn't roll as easy. Would do it again.
What size tire are you running? I want to use the 19" model s slipstream

I’m almost 100% certain that 19” will fit base on my measurement. Plus if you go on T-Sportline or Unplugged Performance’s website they do sell 19” wheels for the X refresh.

I’ve been wanting to switch out my 20” for 19” ever since I got the car. Not for range but mostly for comfort and a different look. I don’t really care for the way the cyberstreams look.

The only problem I see is that it is extremely difficult to find a wheel with the appropriate load rating for the X. And when you do, they want an arm and a leg for it.