TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

19" Wheels Winter Package

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Macgaver, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

Anyone had the chance to experience the X with the 19" wheels/tires package ?

Any hint on the range impacts ?
    Any hint on the driving dynamics impacts ?

I am in advance, but buying them is a one month delay from what I see on the shop site.

My guess: they use 265mm wide tires for all 4 wheels, compared to a 265mm/275mm for the 20" package. So probably some improvements on range, but could be just cancelling the impact of winter tires (still good news)

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I ordered them and plan on having them installed on Oct 17th. However, don't ask me about range/performance. I probably won't notice the difference unless it's fairly significant. Even then, it might be due to weather, so I'm not going to try to come up with some objective experiment to tell the difference. o_O

3. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

So when you order, you really have several weeks delay ? You have a clear delivery date to SC ?

4. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I ordered it last week, which should be enough time for it to get to the SC by Oct 17th. I also put a note in the purchase indicating that my vehicle will be at the SC between Oct 7-17th for the tire change (among other things). I ordered a few other items and it looks like they'll be arriving by the end of next week, so I would expect my tires to arrive at the SC around the same time.

5. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

How are you planning on getting your summer rims/tires home? I don't imagine you can fit all four inside the X like you can in an S. Two trips? Have spouse drive another vehicle there as well? Take a trailer? (I'm thinking the latter - I live ~45 minutes from the SC).

6. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

That is an excellent question. At the moment, I'm hoping to get all tires inside the X. I bought the tire totes to keep the interior clean (still waiting for Weathertech to release mats). I think if I move everything out of the rear trunk well (into the frunk), I should be able to get 1 tire there, 2 on top the (folded-down) 3rd row seats and the 4th between the 2nd row seats (I have 6 seat variant).

The real issue I have is that I'll be dropping off the vehicle on the way to the airport (with suitcases). When we return to pick up the vehicle, I hope I can fit the suitcases and wheels in the vehicle at the same time! May have to make 2 trips. :confused:

• Informative x 2
  7. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

I'm scheduled for Oct. 18. The receptionist that scheduled me checked with a tech, and they said they should fit inside my 7 seater with the 3rd row folded, but they haven't done one yet. And a disclaimer that they're not responsible for damage to leather, etc. if the wheels bounce around (and presumably if I don't put them in the tire totes). We'll see...

8. ccutrer

ccutrer Member

Lol! So I went this morning, and they were super quick. But the tech came out to me all concerned, and said "so... I need to talk to you... There's no way we're fitting these tires in a Model X." They plan on keeping them at the SC for a little while, until several others from my area have come in, and then send a truck and deliver them to my house. I just laughed, cause I wasn't surprised.

9. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I ended up doing two trips (2 tires each trip), but only because I had a couple of suitcases to transfer as well on the first go. If I didn't have the 2 suitcases, I could definitely get 3 tires in, and possibly a 4th if I'm willing to have them touch the seats. I think if I emptied the trunk cavity, I might be able to fit one there?