Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" winter tires - clearance issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still researching before I go out and buy a set of winter tires. I'm seeing some issues with the standard size 19" (245/45R19s) mounted with winter tires rubbing against the wheel well when turning at lock.

1) has anyone experienced this?
2) what was your solution?
3) what was the combination you ran with initially and what was it for the solution?

I've seen it in a brief video of Rial Lugano19s with Michelin XICE3, which goes back to 2014 (the same combo that I would like to have).

Does anyone know if Tesla looked at that and perhaps given greater clearance since then? Is it better to go with a set of wheels from Tesla directly (although I cannot understand why it would make a difference).

Also, under the circumstances, do people clear out their wheel well after a run in the snow as there's no engine heat to help melt any build-up from accumulating and freezing?

I am going to call my service center about this tomorrow. I have the stock 21" turbines with the stock Michelin P245/35ZR21 tires and I have this same issue. When in reverse, and the wheel turned (almost) all the way in either direction, you can actually hear the tire rubbing against the louvers in the front of the inner wheel well.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
There must be a difference in offset with the Rial Lugano, as all else would be equal, given standard 245/45-19 tires. Without looking further, I don't know what the offset is with the factory wheels; but if you are going to purchase aftermarket, just be sure to get wheels that have a similar offset. Something like +/- 10 mm would probably work fine with no issues.

• Informative
My winter setup is a 19X8.5 RIAL LUGANO with the 245/45R-19 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL tires on my P85D. I didn't add any offsets and installed the wheels myself with a hydraulic jack. Absolutely no issues. Yes, it may barely touch when you do a full wheel lock but in reality this is not an issue at all. Used it all winter long last year, inspected the wheel wells when I took them off. No problems. About to put them back on this winter.

My winter setup is a 19X8.5 RIAL LUGANO with the 245/45R-19 MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 XL tires on my P85D. I didn't add any offsets and installed the wheels myself with a hydraulic jack. Absolutely no issues. Yes, it may barely touch when you do a full wheel lock but in reality this is not an issue at all. Used it all winter long last year, inspected the wheel wells when I took them off. No problems. About to put them back on this winter.
You did change the offset, because the Rial Lugano is +32mm, whereas the Tesla wheels are +40mm. Also, the Rial Lugano is a half inch wider. Any rubbing in the wheel well, which is loud enough for you to hear, is a problem.

There must be a difference in offset with the Rial Lugano, as all else would be equal, given standard 245/45-19 tires. Without looking further, I don't know what the offset is with the factory wheels; but if you are going to purchase aftermarket, just be sure to get wheels that have a similar offset. Something like +/- 10 mm would probably work fine with no issues.
Yes, you are correct, there is an offset difference. The Rial Lugano is +32mm, and the Tesla wheels are +40mm. Plus, the Rial Lugano is a half inch wider. This combination extends the wheel 21mm further to the outside.

I just put on Mich XIce3s on my 19" rims and haven't had any problems yet. I have the TST 19", not the factory ones though, but that shouldn't make a difference, I wouldn't think.
It's not happening with everyone (which could be due to a change in the part used for the inner wheel well liner). Your TST's could make a difference, in that both the offset and width are different from the factory wheels.

• Helpful
As a point of reference: there are many threads on the forum already, in reference to this issue, and it doesn't just occur with aftermarket wheels. A lot of us have had it occur with factory wheels.

The reason why it is noticed in reverse, at close to full turn of the wheel, is because of the following.
At close to, but not completely, full turn of the steering wheel, the tire comes in contact with the cooling louvers in the front part of the inner wheel well. The louvers point downward, so while driving forward, it still rubs, but doesn't catch the edge of the louvers. While in reverse, the tread is catching the leading edge of the louvers and you are hearing the pop-pop-pop-pop-etc as it catches and releases.

• Informative
I'm also trying to figure out what Winter tires/wheel combination to buy for my new (as of late December 2016) 90D.

I'm looking at the Discount Tire option:

Wheels: DRAG DR-37 (DRAG DR-37 Wheels | Mesh Wheels Painted Wheels Passenger Wheels Wheels | Discount Tire)
Tires: Hakkapeliita R2 (Request Rejected)

Does anyone know if these cause the rubbing issue that many have mentioned?

Discount Tire suggests they are compatible, but I see that the DRAG DR-37 have a 30mm offset, rather than the standard wheel's offset of 40mm.