Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" winter wheels: Rial vs Slipstream vs Cyclones vs TST vs...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need advice here on winter wheels here. Red Multi-Coat P100D coming within a week in Canada. Tires are brand new Michelin X-Ice.

1. Rial Luganos (silver)
- In my opinion the better looking wheels. The color is a bit more metallic than the 3 others. It looks meaner and closer to the Turbines look.
- Small concern regarding durability. One post on this forum (2014) says four bent rims in a few weeks on potholes... and Montreal/Eastern Canada is the world capital of potholes. However, MANY others have reported perfectly straight wheels after months of winter driving.
- Medium concern about rubbing when turning on reverse. This has been reported several times with winter tires, including the X-Ice. Would it be enough to eliminate the Rial? Or it's actually not much of a concern and you would go with the cheapest/better looking wheels?
- Practical concern: I have already bought the wheels from TireRack, but I learned about the rubbing issue after buying them, and I'm considering returning them based on that. Any advice?

2. Slipsteam
- The simple option. But don't they look a bit boring?
- Anyone reported rubbing with this wheelset and X-Ice tires?
- Practical concern: they come with the car, but I can trade the new Slipstream/OEM tires for summer wheels (21" Turbines). Also, I'm selling the all-season tires anyways as they're unsafe and illegal for winter driving here.

3. Cyclones
- Might have been my first choice... OEM, stylish, distinctive compared to the Slipstream, and it has that Turbine look. But they're overpriced from Tesla, and so hard to find used. I'm NOT buying repainted Cyclones from eBay as anybody can repaint above structural damage. I would trust forum members and local sellers somewhere between Montreal-NYC... but they're so scarce. :(

4. TST
- Great looking wheel, but dark grey goes better with pre-facelift MS (gray color recalls the bottom trim and the front grille). For facelift MS, silver/metallic colors work better in my opinion, and I prefer the Rial.
- Anybody reported rubbing with winter tires?

Thanks for weighting in. I appreciate all comments.

-------

Cyclone wheels on older MS: Au volant: Tesla Model S. Good Karma ? - Asphalte.ch

Attachments

• 8209913086_00ac0f07f7_z.jpg
    8209913086_00ac0f07f7_z.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 169
Need advice here on winter wheels here. Red Multi-Coat P100D coming within a week in Canada. Tires are brand new Michelin X-Ice.

1. Rial Luganos (silver)
- In my opinion the better looking wheels. The color is a bit more metallic than the 3 others. It looks meaner and closer to the Turbines look.
- Small concern regarding durability. One post on this forum (2014) says four bent rims in a few weeks on potholes... and Montreal/Eastern Canada is the world capital of potholes. However, MANY others have reported perfectly straight wheels after months of winter driving.
- Medium concern about rubbing when turning on reverse. This has been reported several times with winter tires, including the X-Ice. Would it be enough to eliminate the Rial? Or it's actually not much of a concern and you would go with the cheapest/better looking wheels?
- Practical concern: I have already bought the wheels from TireRack, but I learned about the rubbing issue after buying them, and I'm considering returning them based on that. Any advice?

I put these on a 2016 60D and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tires. No rubbing. Hopefully you bought with tpms sensors from tire rack already mounted. You can order darker center caps from your SC for a minor charge. (I went with the darker silver).

I have the older Rial with larger center cap opening (purchased from another forum member) and they look pretty good. They have the Michelin MXM4 tires and there is a slight rub when in reverse and fully locked turn. This bothered me at first and just went away as I know that it isn't doing much damage to the wheel well liners. 20" TST seems to look OEM and offer slightly better ride comfort and safety from blowouts and curb rash compared to 21" factory Turbines.

Using the Rial wheels for the winter and will swap to TST in the spring. I also swap the Rial to 19" factory base wheels whenever my car goes in for warranty work related to drive unit, suspension, etc. It shouldn't make any difference, but I don't want to give anyone at the SC a reason to void or not honor my claim.

Should be able to take the tire pressure sensors from your old wheels and swap them onto your new ones. As for the center caps, the OEM Tesla caps will only work with the ones @NickF listed above, which are the newer redesigned "OE" Rial Lugano wheels.