Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$1950 delivery charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trnsl8r

S85 2012-2018, X90 since 2016, 3 since 2018
Aug 20, 2011
San Jose, CA
OK, so I've seen this mentioned in several Roadster posts and have to ask... Do note that I'm a newbie to all this and have never bought a new car.

What is the $1950 delivery charge (that Roadster buyers pay) for exactly? Granted, the Model S is not a cheap car and maybe some call it penny pinching to complain an additional $2k here or there, but I live 20 minutes away from the factory in Fremont, paying that cash for mere delivery... well, that's a pretty high mileage rate...

Again, maybe I'm ignorant, but you don't learn unless you ask. What am I missing?

Since you live that close, maybe they'll be able to work something out for the Model S but they delivered my car to Texas in one of those transport trucks so that's what the fee is for.

Correct! In fact, Tesla has set up a whole staging area at the end of the factory for people to come and receive their Model S. They have a bamboo wood raised ramp that will show off one's car as it rolls out of the factory and into the owner's hands. The delivery charge is for the transportation of the Model S to a Tesla store (or owner's house?). I believe it's more expensive than we might be used to because they're planning on transporting the Model S in enclosed car haulers as opposed to open ones (that expose the car to the elements), and that costs more money.

I remember seeing that bamboo floor, but I was under the impression that after it hit there, they still drove it off and onto the indoor test area which included rub strips and a water sealant test tank. So it's definitely not the end of the line.

As for delivery, I had a car transported from Montana to PA in an enclosed carrier, it's definitely not cheap. However, I'd imagine they save a bit by bundling vehicles in trips to same regions (or stores). Part of that cost likely also goes to the dealer to prep the car and such. Most cars I've ever had (new) came with a delivery charge of at least $900, so it's not unheard of.

At the factory tour I asked if it would be possible to take delivery there and got an answer along the lines of "they're looking into it".

The other reason I'm asking is that it seems for Roadsters the charge is independent of distance (I trust Roadster owners to jump in and correct me if my assumption is wrong). To me it would seem better PR if they baked that into the price of the car rather than making it some sort of mandatory fee...

Anyway, that's my 2 cent rant for the week...

I always had the impression that the "delivery" charge was akin to the "shipping and handling" charges for items purchase by phone in the old days or on the web now. Sort of a bundled generic amount that takes into acount shipping the vehicle to the store, preparation (pulling off the protective plastic, washing the vehicle, getting a 'walk around' from the sales person to show you how to turn on the headlights and where the tire repair kit is and such. I didn't think it was specifically for the exact cost to ship it. At some point in this process I was given the impression that I would have to pay extra to have the vehicle trucked to my home (I'm 8-9 hours away from the closest store--Chicago) above and beyond the standard "delivery" charge.

Yeah, agree with Trnsl8r. Slapping on that fee anyway even for Bay Area locals who are okay to take delivery at the Fremont factory (or folks like NigelM from Florida who do the same and then drive back on their own) seems wrong. I'd rather use that ~$2k towards an extended warranty or some other meaningful option.

This is different from BMW's European Delivery wherein, even if one were to pick the car up from the Munich factory and drive around on the autobahns etc., one'd eventually drop the car off at one of the designated points (ports) in Europe and BMW still takes care of shipping it all the way to the US. So, a destination charge there is still relevant and agreeable.

Yeah, agree with Trnsl8r. Slapping on that fee anyway even for Bay Area locals who are okay to take delivery at the Fremont factory (or folks like NigelM from Florida who do the same and then drive back on their own) seems wrong. I'd rather use that ~$2k towards an extended warranty or some other meaningful option.

This is different from BMW's European Delivery wherein, even if one were to pick the car up from the Munich factory and drive around on the autobahns etc., one'd eventually drop the car off at one of the designated points (ports) in Europe and BMW still takes care of shipping it all the way to the US. So, a destination charge there is still relevant and agreeable.

Even with that fact EU delivery of a BMW is cheaper than taking delivery in the states. That is why many do it - other than just for a great trip to the EU.

I would hope the fee could be waived if picked up from the factory. As others have said, if they want to upcharge people to keep margins high, at least give me something. And no, I don't want pinstriping. We're already accepting full-price to begin with, Tesla needs to be mindful of that.

Picking it up at the factory could also work to my favor:

[Me] "Hi I'm here to pick up my 160 mi..."
[Tesla Sales] "Hi Mr Bakker, sorry we're so busy today with car deliveries. Yours is the blue Signature 300 right?"
[Me] "Ummm, yes. Yes it is, the blue one right there! Ain't she a beaut?"