TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

1966 GM Electrovair II

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by dpeilow, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#1 dpeilow, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

80 miles!

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Amazing to think how far we'd come 50 years ago (and even 15 years) before some hurdle was reached and things got tabled. This time, we play for keeps (hopefully)

4. GSP

GSP Member

Great video! Thanks for posting.

GSP

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Range has always been the kicker. If GM had pushed this technology and stayed with it, we would not be posting and reading this and TM would not exist. Are there any time travelers out there willing to generate another branch in the timeline?

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

How do you know they haven't ;)

7. Cole

Cole Member

8. Lex

Lex Member

#8 Lex, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    "All you hear is the hum of electricity" lol I bet it had a hum alright with the tech back then.

"almost 6 hours" for "40 to 80 miles" that's not so bad for 1966 I suppose. Seems like a low rider in the back, guessing that's where most of the cells are stashed.

Thanks for posting !

9. tga

tga Active Member

Video: Presenting the 1966 Chevrolet Electrovair II | Macs Motor City Garage

10. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#10 FlatSix911, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Interesting video predictions ...

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

1966 Chevrolet Electrovair II

I am surprised the range (40-80m) is that much and charging time (6hrs) that short.
    Thanks for posting that. I had not heard of that early GM experiment with EVs. It is mentioned at History of the electric vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote: " 1966 concept vehicle, the Electrovair II, was a 1966 Monza 4-door hardtop modified with a 532 volt 115-horsepower electric motor replacing the gasoline engine — following a 1964 version known as Electrovair I. With the 1966 model, silver-zinc batteries were used and placed in the trunk and engine compartment, and the body was slightly modified to accept the conversion. The car was handicapped by the high cost of the batteries ($160,000), a limited driving range (40–80 miles), and short battery life."
    That was not GM's only EV experiment of that era, see Chevrolet Chevette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote: "In the 1970s, General Motors Advanced Engineering developed a concept car, the Electrovette, based on the Chevette but using an electric motor powered by lead-acid batteries. The car had a range of about 50 miles (80 km) at 30 mph (48 km/h), and a top speed of 53 mph (85 km/h)."

12. Adm

Adm Active Member

Wow, imagine being able to upgrade one of these to modern standards. ..

13. Lex

Lex Member

Fer sure.. sharp lookin' car IMHO :cool: Just screaming for some regen and a computer or two :wink:

I posted a reply in the comments on the blog that tga posted (oops credited OP in my comment there, sorry and thanks tga and Cole).

As a "gearhead" myself, I totally see where some die-hard car fanatics hesitate to embace the BEV -- one had posted that he (I can only assume guys here) couldn't drive in something that sounded like a hairdryer, and the other suggested that the whole battery capacity thing is an "insurmountable" problem with EV's. I had to double-check the post dates to make sure these comments weren't posted back in 1966 :tongue:

For me, the commitment to BEV took my passion back from grease and gears and flammable solvent fuel to what brought me to cars in the first place -- the passion for driving them and for getting around quickly, cleanly and efficiently. In every way, the electric car is a better driving vehicle. Heck I'm still amazed that I got such an expensive vehicle without knowing more about its systems, and with limited to no ability to perform my own maintenance or repair. It's that compelling a vehicle.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

15. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3