TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

1974 VW EVThing

Discussion in 'Electric Conversions' started by sranger, Dec 31, 2013.

1. sranger

sranger Member

Here is my converted 1974 VW Thing.

Best_In_Show_EVCCON_2013.jpg

It has a 120VDC / 650amp HPEVS Three phase AC-50 motor and Curits Controller. It works out to about 80hp. It made 74hp at the rear wheels on a calibrated dyno in third gear (1:1). I has a 20Kwhr LiFePo4 battery pack. It has about a 70-90 mile range depending on temperature and speed. It will do 0-60 in about 10 seconds. It still has a clutch and 4 speed transaxle. The ring a pinion has be updated to a higher 3:44 set to make better use of the 110ft-lb of torque. The max speed is around 80mph in fourth gear. It uses a standard J1772 charging port.

I fully restored the car and converted it to electric drive in about a year.

You can see all of the details at: http://www.EVThing.me

2. Crispix

Crispix Member

Wow. I'm beyond impressed. That's a sweet ride! No wonder it took first place! I'm a bit surprised it still has a clutch -- I don't quite understand the physics of why some EVs benefit from gears while others like the MS are in a single gear.

3. sranger

sranger Member

The short answer is that is only has 80hp. The 110 ft-lb of torque is not enough to accelerate the car very fast in a higher gear. The gears greatly improve acceleration.

Also, since it is a conversion, it gives you a very effective emergency mechanical disconnect from the motor if needed. You hope nothing will go wrong, but Just In case....

4. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Spectacular build sranger!

Thanks for sharing that... very impressive.